athlete's foot and mallet toe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• athlete's foot and mallet toe

I have two conditions of my feet which are everpresent. One is athletes foot. Normally I wouldn't complain about this, but in Ultramind he mentions it as a sign of a yeast infection of the gut. Is this true and how would I verify this? How do I heal the foot from it?

The mallettoe is annoying since it puts extra pressure on the nail and at the base of the toe. This leads to calluses and thick nails. I have had the tendons trimmed before, which helped for awhile. Although it doesn't last for very long. I also don't like wearing the supports under the toes. Is there a better way than surgeries and supports for dealing with this?
    My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Strom, I assume you have tried all the usual commercial athletes foot stuff.

Exposure to sunlight is reputed to cure some cases . . . and going barefoot outdoors can't hurt hammertoe or mallettoe . . .

http://doctoryourself.com/feet.html

Earthclinic.com often has remedies that are surprisingly helpful for common ailments, and the system of voting yea or nay and leaving comments is useful.

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/athletes_foot.html

That site has a lot of apple cider vinegar adherents who claim a high rate of success in treating athlete's foot.

Smaller in number, there is an "earthy" group of enthusiasts on the earthclinic site who insist that soaking their feet in their own urine cured their athlete's foot when nothing else worked. Hmmm. About as cheap as sunlight. Let us know how it works.

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/ath...ml#URINE_28104

This supposed aversion of athlete's foot fungus to host urine undoubtedly has evolutionary roots as does almost everything else that we deal with in the Primal world. Here is a theory. Hosts dumb and clumsy enough to urinate on their feet are probably considered by smart fungus to be poor long term prospects for fungus habitat, leading the fungus to seek longer lived hosts. But we crafty primal types can fool the fungus into thinking that we are dumb enough to urinate on our feet by just soaking our feet in our urine, achieving the same net result of a fungus exodus, but without shedding the IQ power that brought us to the Primal site in the first place.
    Last edited by Paleo Man; 08-03-2010, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I'm not wild about peeing on my foot. Would the athletes foot be a sign of a yeast infection in the gut?

Comment

I've heard this many times, and it makes sense to me - athlete's foot is one of many possible signs of yeast overgrowth, specifically candida yeast. You don't want to simply cure the symptoms when unchecked candida causes so many problems over time, but that said, you shouldn't have to suffer in the meantime needlessly. Going barefoot as much as possible (removing the warm, damp environment for yeast growth), especially in the sun, is supposed to be the best cure. ACV should help, too, since it's antifungal, as is coconut oil.

For helping with the candidiasis, there are several diets that claim to help, but the best approach I've found is just exactly what we're doing primally, and the most reknowned diets for "healing the gut" - the ones that really work (not the Yeast Connection diet which illogically eliminates fungus simply b/c it's another fungus - like eliminating yogurt if you have an e. coli infectxicon), like SCD, GAPS, BED, Maker's Diet - do the same thing. That is, eat only real, unprocessed food, add in probiotic foods (yogurt, real sauerkraut, other fermented foods), and skip all the grains & sugars, which feed the yeast.

If you have a candida overgrowth, it may be very, very hard to eliminate the grains & sugars b/c the yeast cries out for more of its grainy food. I have a specific protocol I've used to battle candida and found it very effective and can share it if you're interested.
        5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
        Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
        Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
        Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
        ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Originally posted by strom View Post
          I have two conditions of my feet which are everpresent. One is athletes foot. Normally I wouldn't complain about this, but in Ultramind he mentions it as a sign of a yeast infection of the gut. Is this true and how would I verify this? How do I heal the foot from it?

Would the athletes foot be a sign of a yeast infection in the gut?
          Not necessarily.

Regardless though, either means that *your immune system* is having a problem. This isn't about the yeast or the fungus or whatever microorganism is present. This is about your immune system not being able to manage and keep in check that which it should manage with ease. Focus on what you put into your body, focus on getting optimal D levels and the fungal issue will magically resolve. I see it *over* and *over* and *over* again. So frequently that I don't even wonder about it anymore. It's *so* easy to fix.

Eating meat, organ meats and veggies is critical but alone it's not enough. You need to insure you're getting sufficient zinc, A, D (and some full body sun exposure a couple of times per week) and then you'll see it resolve.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I'm not wild about peeing on my foot.
            I guess you could always ask someone else to do it!

Sorry, I couldn't resist throwing in the "urine cure". My perverse rendition of rule #7. But maybe . . . !?

Anyway, in considering whether anything is suppressing your immune response, one question would be whether you are on any meds that might predispose you to fungal infections. Such as some of the arthritis medications that the FDA has recently fingered as promoting fungus infections, or any steroids such as prednisone.

Any diabetes? How is the blood glucose and especially A1C at this point? A1C provides a longer term assessment and measures not just glucose in the blood, but any fructose that has escaped being metabolized in the liver and that might be contributing to problems. Athlete's foot can be promoted by blood sugar problems.

Comment

The only grains I have been eating are corn and white sticky/ wild rice. Corn could be a problem, and perhaps heavy cream?

Comment

The only grains I have been eating are corn and white sticky/ wild rice. Corn could be a problem, and perhaps heavy cream?
                Might not hurt to run an A1C test, either through your doctor or to order one of the nifty new do-it-yourself Bayer A1C Now test kits online.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/152334.php

I ordered the Bayer A1C Now kit online for about $35, for two tests. This includes a digital device that reads out your A1C when the test is complete in a few minutes. Nifty, easy to use if you read the simple instructions, and the result can be very useful to have, allowing you to make dietary tweaks if necessary that change the result significantly for the better. Generally, higher levels of A1C strongly correlate with increases in all cause mortality.
                Last edited by Paleo Man; 08-04-2010, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Cillakat - I absolutely agree that the regimen you give will work, and magically. Unfortunately, for a lot of us struggling with candida, the constant inner voice saying "EAT MORE CARBS!" is too loud to ignore 24/7 and no matter how much we *know* we have to stop the grains & sugar, we can't. There were a few dietary tweaks I had to make to get over the sugar/grain addiction, and it finally worked, but it took me 3 years to figure out what tweaks I needed, and I'm happy to share those with anyone else who tells himself "just stop eating grains & sugar" but finds he can't.

Once you can quit the grains & sugar, the rest of the deal absolutely works. Good health practices solve a whole lot of problems, just like that.
                  Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-04-2010, 09:31 AM.

Comment

what are these tweaks that kill the urges for corn and fructose?

Comment

Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                      Cillakat - I absolutely agree that the regimen you give will work, and magically. Unfortunately, for a lot of us struggling with candida, the constant inner voice saying "EAT MORE CARBS!" is too loud to ignore 24/7 and no matter how much we *know* we have to stop the grains & sugar, we can't. There were a few dietary tweaks I had to make to get over the sugar/grain addiction, and it finally worked, but it took me 3 years to figure out what tweaks I needed, and I'm happy to share those with anyone else who tells himself "just stop eating grains & sugar" but finds he can't.
                      I'd be glad to see your tweaks. I have eliminated grains for about two years, and I'm faithful enough about that, but honey still gives me trouble now and then, if I get off balance otherwise.

To get rid of any yeasty thing, the sweets have got to go, not just a little bit, but completely.

Comment

Cillakat - I absolutely agree that the regimen you give will work, and magically. Unfortunately, for a lot of us struggling with candida, the constant inner voice saying "EAT MORE CARBS!" is too loud to ignore 24/7 and no matter how much we *know* we have to stop the grains & sugar, we can't.
                        ITA that the voice is strong...stronger than the will. I've believed in grain free/sugar free for 15 years even though *I* couldn't do it. I'm not sure how I finally did do it....but I did.

What I'm saying though is that quitting grains and sugar often isn't enough. I have seen it hundreds of times over......people meticulously avoid avoid avoid but still have major health problems b/c they didn't deal with the underlying nutritional deficiencies that allowed the dysbiosis to grow out of control in the first place.

Optimizing immune function first will do much of the work for us....once that is functioning, then it's easier to quit the grains and sugar (I think).....I'm so interested in hearing the rest of your tweaks though. It would be helpful to many, I'm sure!

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I gotcha! ITA that knowing you gotta quit the grains & sugar isn't enough when the urges to eat them are so overpowering. I do *not* think that a complicated anti-candida diet is necessary to end yeast, just a simple primal diet w/ plenty of fat & protein, which will gradually diminish the power of the cravings. I think the idea that a strong immune system helps, esp. via vitamin D, is really interesting. I believe there are far more downsides to our not living outdoors (as we are made to) than we realize.

This is the simple regimen I pulled together from the major gut diets I found (SCD, TMD, GAPS, BED), and what I'm doing. I'll cut and paste from a post to another group:
                          The underlying problem is the candida yeast, which overgrow and put down roots into your gut lining. These literally perforate your intestines (leaky gut), allowing undigested food particles into the bloodstream, which leads to more and more food sensitivites & allergies. So you gotta get rid of them and heal the damage.
                          • Starve 'em. No grains or sugar or concentrated fruits (juice, jam, dried, ...) (Buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, & millet are allowed in most versions of the diet, as they are not true grains) If you're eating primally, you're already doing this.
                          • Kill 'em. Daily antifungals - oil of oregano has been proven to be as effective as nystatin. I take 4 drops OOO in 1/4C water (pour the water, then add the drops, drink quickly or it'll burn b/c the OOO is strong like pepper oil), 1Tbsp virgin coconut oil (used to cook my eggs), & 1Tbsp raw apple cider vinegar (in 12oz filtered water) daily. And garlic cooked in my food, or pickled (lacto-fermented) garlic added at the end of cooking, when I have it.
                          • Replace 'em. Probiotics - add back the good guys. Garden of Life Primal Defense is one I've heard recommended as the best. A badly made probiotic will do nothing. Fermented food (like yogurt, kefir, anything lacto-fermented...) is even better - it's the original, whole-foods, natural source of probiotics. They're traditionally used like condiments, not side dishes. Also, avoid using antibacterial soaps & obsessive cleaning - our bodies are made to have gut flora replenished by the things around it.
                          • Patch the holes. A cup of good mineral-rich bone broth a day. The compound in it (is it glutamine?) repairs the intestinal lining.
                          • Keep 'em away. Avoid as much as possible the things that caused it in the first place: antibiotics, vaccines, chlorinated water, mercury-contaminated fish & fillings, hormonal contraception, etc. Keep your appendix! (there are three clear tests for whether it's really that, and even then, the cause is usually impacted stool or swollen lymph nodes - both easily solved by less dire means)

*Some people have to go the extra steps - mercury contamination is often the culprit. For instance, a lady in our TORCH group is full up from swimming in Lake Erie as a child. Her mercury levels are astronomical, and even doing everything else didn't heal her completely until she got to work on the metals. Another had a broken thermometer placed in her mouth as a child. Some have to remove fillings (only with a WELL trained doctor who knows how to protect patient and staff from the mercury released in the air during the process), use chelation (only with a lot of research and a VERY good practitioner), etc.

So it's basically just eating primally w/ the addition of natural antifungals, natural probiotics, & bone broth.

I had fallen off the cliff. Fat & protein got me back on top of the cliff, and probiotics & antifungals seem to be what take me away from the edge.

I knew the regimen & did it all *except* I just COULD NOT get down the "no grains & sugar" thing. I had to focus on steadying my blood sugar via adding sufficient protein & fat to my diet, 3 square meals a day (I did it via the Radiant Recovery program, although w/o the focus on "lots of browns" that they have). When I did that, the desire for the grains & sugar tapered away, and over time, with the antifungals & probiotics, the other symptoms I had of yeast overgrowth have gone.

For me, "enough protein" = 1/6 of my body weight (lbs) with each meal, which is just about one regular serving. I eat as much natural fats as I can get into myself. Those two things combined have made the biggest difference in quieting cravings, and enabling me to get off grains and sugar. Then, the longer I stay off the grains & sugar and keep at the probiotics & antifungals, the further I get away from "the edge". IOW, at first, just one bite of a bun will have me craving for days, but I can avoid the grains as long as I don't have even "just one bite." That's "the edge." Further away from the edge means that one bite won't throw me off, and even further away means that even a piece of cake (say, at a wedding) won't throw me off, not then or the next day or over the next week.

My goal, when I will consider myself healed, is to be able to have that piece of cake and not have it cause any cravings or jumping gut (that feeling I get when I'm close to the edge and consider what eating a sweet or a piece of cornbread would be like) or sugary dreams. Like a normal person. (That doesn't mean I'll go back to having grains & sweets; I just want to be able to have something once in a blue moon without fear, like my husband does and always could.) I don't want to be on the edge any more.

Too long - sorry! I find it hard to be efficient in words when I'm distracted by cute little ones!

I think adding in the micronutrients missing in our modern lives - namely D, magnesium, selenium, and a handful of others - is a great addition to this. I try to keep it simple, but it's clear that b/c of soil depletion and insufficient outdoor time, we're missing some things that we're just supposed to have to keep us healthy. I absolutely agree that with a strong immune system, these things shouldn't run amok in the first place!

In fact, I'm really interested in the idea that more sunlight could be what I need to get where I want to be. Occasionally I take a few more steps toward the edge, and then fight back from it, and I'd love to see the point where the edge is just a distant memory.
                          Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-11-2010, 05:00 AM.

Comment

What about Saccromyces Boulardii as a probiotic? Supposedly it kills the dangerous yeast.

Also with OOO is it better to take it as an oil, or in a gel cap?
                            This filling removal for mercury sounds extremely expensive. One cavity and filling usually cost 200 per cavity. I have like 12 or a few more. I bet its over 3 grand and a long painful procedure.

Comment

I'm not familiar with the different types of probiotics b/c I use fermented food myself.

I take OOO as an oil and haven't looked into it as a gel cap.

I'm not sounding very useful, huh? I just found what works for me and didn't look any further. These are very good questions to track down to find what works for you.

I'm sure filling removal could be expensive. I don't know that I'd pursue it unless I found, knew, or suspected that I had a mercury problem. Or found that I could afford it pretty readily, b/c mercury does release with each bite, but otoh, mercury removal is very dangerous if not done properly. I think my dentist (who does it) is part of the IAOMT. You can look for a reputable dentist who does it safely to inquire about cost by searching on 'holistic dentists' + your city - that usually brings up traditionally educated dentists who have begun to question mercury. There are increasingly more. I'm not familiar with what protocols should be followed for removal, but I bet searching IAOMT or Weston Price Foundation sites would lead you there.

Comment

Working...
                              X