The secret to longevity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The secret to longevity

Fascinating TED talk on longevity and healthy living. These guys went to hot spots around the world with the highest rates of longevity and people living to 100. Their conclusions are interesting. Some match right up with primal (grass-fed as opposed to grain fed for example), and some are a little surprising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-jk9...layer_embedded

Thanks for posting this!

Comment

You're welcome!

I expected more comments - here are people actually going out and doing the research on what actually constitutes a healthy life - NOW - rather than postulating what a healthy life might have looked like tens of thousands of years ago. I find it fascinating.

Comment

I like this video. What most of these cultures seem to be lacking dietwise is excessive sugar. So grains can be okay. The most important things seem to be easy daily activity, community, friendship, togetherness, and a sense of purpose in life. The latter is something that most of us are sorely lacking.
        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I liked the video too. I especially appreciated the 9 key indicators. No hard and fast rules, just simple boundaries.
          Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
          ~Borges

Comment

Originally posted by cemdev View Post
            You're welcome!

I expected more comments - here are people actually going out and doing the research on what actually constitutes a healthy life - NOW - rather than postulating what a healthy life might have looked like tens of thousands of years ago. I find it fascinating.
            I prefer to read my info and news. Waiting for video to get around to the point drives me crazy. TED talks, however, are often worth it. But ... 22 minutes is a long time investment. Not going to happen on my week days.

That is not criticism in any way. Just why maybe you don't get a lot of responses fast to a 22 minute video.

Comment

Yeah, when I saw 22 minutes I was like daaang. But I kept it playing in the background as I did other stuff. I prefer to read as well.
              Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
              ~Borges

Comment

Thank you for posting. Simple guidelines for life but escape us so easily...we seek it but lose it somewhere in trying to live in an expensive world!

Comment

Don't forget The Man himself.

http://www.liveyoungwithjacklalanne.com/

Comment

Originally posted by avocado View Post
                    I prefer to read my info and news. Waiting for video to get around to the point drives me crazy. TED talks, however, are often worth it. But ... 22 minutes is a long time investment. Not going to happen on my week days.

That is not criticism in any way. Just why maybe you don't get a lot of responses fast to a 22 minute video.
                    Yeah, I can understand that. I'm not much of a youtube viewer - TED Talks are the exception. Frankly, on a topic we already devote so much time, energy and expense to (our nutrition and physical and mental well-being) 22 minutes isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Primalchild View Post
                      I like this video. What most of these cultures seem to be lacking dietwise is excessive sugar. So grains can be okay. The most important things seem to be easy daily activity, community, friendship, togetherness, and a sense of purpose in life. The latter is something that most of us are sorely lacking.
                      right, that's what i find really interesting. all this focus on food, when it's perhaps not even the biggest factor. i'd love to see how they determined the importance of the social aspects over the nutrition.

Comment

I can tell you that when my dad finally retired in his mid 70's, his health declined quickly, and he passed away when he was 83. That's still a long life, and he had good quality of life until that point, especially for a lifetime smoker. I really don't think I will ever retire though. I may not have an office job, but I will need something to do each day and a goal.

Comment

kind of ruined it for me when he said "expodentially"
                          ad astra per aspera

Comment

Basically, the real secret to longevity is to keep having birthdays.
                            In the game of Rock, Paper, Scissors

shotgun always wins.

Comment

LOL at Gator

Comment

Working...
                              X