Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dawn of Sex

Now here's an interesting one...

This book makes what I've been told is a remarkably strong argument against our current concept of marriage and monogamy. No opinion from my side, I haven't yet read it, but if you are interested here is an interview with one of the authors:

http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2...dawn_interview

The villain of the book? You guessed it: agriculture.

I'm skeptical of the "savages didn't know sex lead to pregnancy" argument, but the rest of it is pretty intriguing.

the book's site:

http://www.sexatdawn.com/

I went ahead and ordered the book.

I admit it. I'm a big fan of sex.
    “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

im married so i better not comment;-)
      Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

I was hoping the thread would actually turn out to be about morning sex.
        http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

In marriage its called "Mourning" sex
          "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Comment

Originally posted by Chairdr View Post
            Woops, I've been divorced for over six years now. I forgot about that.
            http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

I'm married. I was going to post that joke about passing each other in the hallway and saying FUCK YOU, but I'm too depressed now. *sigh*

()

Comment

I hope to be married in the future, will I start hating my gf? we're waiting a while (I don't want kids or nothing until AFTER 2015 - I want to hit Brazil in 2014 for the World Cup) and are in no rush, so hopefully everything goes strong and we're happy in marriage. I believe we will be.
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Chairdr View Post
                  Depends on who you're married to!
                  Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Originally posted by GoJenGo View Post
                    Depends on who you're married to!
                    agree. sex is WONDERFUL and i dont want to be married to someone i cant enjoy in the bedroom.
                    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

I don't know if I agree with "isn't in our nature". The nature of an organism changes with its environment. So there. After the agricultural revolution there was less dependence on hunting and so women became more valuable to men than men to women and because of the physiological nature of reproduction (women can't go around having tons of children, they can only bear one child at a time), women came up with a way to coerce men into staying with them, as a man who wasn't willing to go into monogamy was likely a childless man. If the environment changes, the behavior changes and speaking of one environment as "in our nature" and a new one as not is pretty meaningless. It certainly says nothing about what we ought to do now. I personally like being coerced into monogamy. I will agree that the notion that monogamy is necessarily more favorable is bunk and it's good that the author concedes that neither is necessarily better or worse, it depends on situation and personal preference.

Good topic.
                      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

"And the American insistence on mixing love and sex and expecting passion to last forever is leading to great suffering that we think is tragic and unnecessary."

yes yes yes.
                        ad astra per aspera

Comment

My thought is that the "man-was-never-meant-to-be-monogomous" theory is the wet dream of the authors. Many animals are by nature monogomous and mate for life.

Comment

Stabby: sitting down all day every day and eating lots of grains "isn't in our nature" either. Isn't that what the primal blueprint is about? Realizing that we haven't actually evolved past our caveman roots, and acting accordingly?

I think you're also wrong about who was doing the coercing. With agriculture came property, and the need to pass it on to one's descendants. That meant that men had to know that their children were actually theirs, and enforced monogamy on their women. It's definitely true that in most monogamous cultures, women have had to be much more monogamous than men. Leveling the same stigma on unfaithful husbands as unfaithful wives is actually a rather new development - it came with feminism.

chazglen: yeah, many animals are by nature monogamous. Most of them are serially monogamous - they have one partner per breeding season. Some do mate for life, though. None of our close relatives do either of these things. Apes are pretty far from monogamy. Which are we more like, physiologically and behaviorally: chimpanzees or bald eagles?

Comment

And on top of that, there's apparently now a decent amount of evidence that even socially monogamous animals - that is, those who pair up to raise their babies cooperatively - tend to have extra-pair sex. It seems that very, very few animals are actually sexually monogamous.

Comment

Working...
                              X