Excellent Critique of Good Calories, Bad Calories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grol View Post
    I cut carbs and went through worse withdrawals than kicking smokes.
    +1. As an ex smoker, I experienced this first hand. it took me a week to stop craving something sweet after every meal.

People sensitive to carbs + diet high in "bad" carbs = compulsive carb consumption and metabolic dysfunctions.
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

I will repeat what I had already eaten. Alcoholics can drink pure alcohol, it doesn't matter to them. But I dare any "sugar addict" to binge on pure sugar. Grab a spoon and the sugar bowl and eat as much as you want. Let's see how addicted you are.
      Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
      Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
      No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
      Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

Originally posted by Mirrorball View Post
        Grab the sugar bowl and see how much pure sugar you can choke down.
        strange, i'm pretty sure those 5 cent candies are damn near pure sugar and I could eat those by the kilo. 2 tbsp of coco oil is about all i can manage at any given time by itself. And yes I have tried eating sucrose straight up, it's a lot easier than eating fat straight up.
        I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

They aren't pure candy though. I bet they have at least some artificial flavours added. 2 tbsp coconut oil = 27.2 g = 234 kcal = almost 5 tbsp sugar. Both are disgusting IMO.

Comment

They aren't pure candy though. I bet they have at least some artificial flavours added. 2 tbsp coconut oil = 27.2 g = 234 kcal = almost 5 tbsp sugar. Both are disgusting IMO.
            LOL at your disinformation. Pure coconut oil is 100% fat.
            http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2
            www.KataStrength.blogspot.com
            Free the Kettlebell

Comment

you're right, they're not 100% sugar. Allan Swedish Berries : 90% sugar (40g serving contains 36g sugar), that ratio is mostly true for all 5 cent candies.

As for the coco oil, i eat it straight up because it's easier than cooking and because i need the extra fat to keep everything moving smoothly

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Originally posted by couch handy View Post
                http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2
                he was saying calorie wise that 2 tbsp coco oil is equal to 5 tbsp sugar, which means nothing except that it sounds impressive.

I have some good personal background with the lie that is calorie in / calorie out, I lost weight on a 6000 calorie/day diet, and i've gained weight on a 2000 calorie/day diet
                Last edited by federkeil; 07-02-2010, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by couch handy View Post
                  I know. What I wanted to say was that 2 tbsp coconut oil have the same number of calories as 5 tbsp sugar.

Comment

My point is that people enjoy food, not nutrients, and although they claim to be addicted to sugar, no one really enjoys eating pure sugar, even if it's easier to eat than pure fat. And that's also the reason candy is not pure sugar, but has added flavours to turn a pretty disgusting substance into something palatable that resembles food (it's probably not a coincidence that fruit flavours are added). It probably tricks our Palaeolithic brains into thinking we ate fruit.
                    Last edited by Mirrorball; 07-02-2010, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Mirrorball, while I appreciate your perspective, just because it's true for you doesn't mean it's true for others.

I echo Grol and SerialSinner's comments on the addictive properties of sugar. Just because someone isn't staggering around, seeing spinning colors, sneaking out for yet another fix, or whatever else happens with your definition of addiction doesn't mean that their bodies aren't more sensitive to carbs/sugar. Just like some people can stop at one drink and others can't.

Once upon a time in my dieting history, I went no fruit.... not no carb, but no fruit. The result was that for three days, all I wanted to do was sit and cry and eat apples. And in my binge eating days, I remember one specific time that a bite of a cookie felt like a wave of sheer bliss - and it wasn't even that good a cookie! I know how eating some sweets makes me crave and want more. Drastically reducing my carb intake, especially sugar, has finally helped me gain a greater measure of control over my eating.

Some (not all) of those with binge eating problems (with no reference intended to anyone who has posted on this thread) will tell you that 5 tablespoons of straight sugar are nothing, nor are 2 tablespoons of any form of fat. There are both physiological and psychological elements to hunger and eating (healthy or not so healthy), and everyone's profile is different. GC/BC provides part of a very complex picture, and Stabby did a great overview of a number of the other elements of good nutrition. And, who knows what we still don't know at this point.
                      Last edited by AutumnP; 07-04-2010, 03:43 PM. Reason: oops - typos!

Comment

Once upon a time in my dieting history, I went no fruit.... not no carb, but no fruit. The result was that for three days, all I wanted to do was sit and cry and eat apples.
                        That's how I felt when I was on Atkins too. It doesn't mean we have an addiction. Human beings love the sweet taste, across all cultures and ages. Deprivation leads to cravings, it is true even for vegans, as I pointed out. Some of them try to stop eating meat and they end up craving meat. When I was on a low-fat diet, I craved fatty foods (cheese omelets, specifically, which I don't even like). Either we admit that fat and meat and cooked foods and ... is addictive as well, because these experiences are no less valid than yours, or maybe this is not addiction. Maybe it's something else, like leptin resistance. Maybe we crave sweets because fruits are good for us, but nowadays sweets mean empty calories that we can't cope with.

Comment

Me and my brother most certainly ate sugar straight from the bowl as kids. Haha. We used to sneak 4-5-6 teaspoons each. We loved it. Mirrorball, I think there is some substance to your take as far as toning down the addiction talk, but sugar provides chemical responses we don't see from fat or protein. That's why you hear about people having a sugar rush, not a fat, not a protein rush. Sure someone can miss meat desperately and psychologically. That would be no different to me than missing my favorite chair, something comforting. But sugar has a chemical response and I missed it exactly like I missed smokes. I did stagger around. I did sneak a fix. Hell, I was hiding chocolates in my bedroom. It had nothing to do with the flavor of chocolate. A teaspoon of pure white sugar would relax me in one heartbeat. Cravings gone. Instantly. Just like one puff. :shrug:

Comment

Well said, Grol.

Comment

Drinking soda is pretty much like eating straight sugar; look at how many people drink multiple liters of that every day. Even if its got AS instead of sugar, its still the same addictive behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by Grol View Post
                                Me and my brother most certainly ate sugar straight from the bowl as kids. Haha. We used to sneak 4-5-6 teaspoons each. We loved it.
                                Really? So maybe you are sugar addicts. But I would also consider leptin resistance, low blood sugar and nutrient deprivation as explanations before you label yourself an addict. Sugar is a fix for hypoglicaemia, a real fix. When I was eating the SAD, I also ate half a pound of cheap milk chocolate daily. I know chocolate is delicious. If lettuce tasted as good as chocolate, I would eat a lot of lettuce instead.

But cravings usually happened when I was on any kind of restrictive diet. Low-carb makes me crave carbs just as badly as low-fat makes me crave fat. Nope, I still don't believe in sugar addiction. Too many people believe that they shouldn't eat X because a book said they don't need X. And if they crave X, they are addicts. It can't possibly be that their brains are telling them to eat more evil X because their glycogen stores are depleted or they need more nutrients that X contains. The book / Fitday / someone on the Internet knows more about what their bodies need than their bodies themselves. Then people stop eating fruit because Gary Taubes said they don't need any and they ignore their cravings for sweets and think they are sugar addicts, when one banana would make them perfectly happy with minimal calories.

Comment

Working...
                                X