No announcement yet.

Devils advocate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to agree with the Inuit that vegetation in general is not fit for human consumption. Broccoli is indeed a vile weed. Interesting study on ketogenic diet, carbs and the fat/protein ratios in the traditional Inuit diet.
    http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2
    www.KataStrength.blogspot.com
    Free the Kettlebell

Comment

I lived in Okinawa and, from what I saw, their diet had decidedly less rice and pasta than other Asian cuisines. But, if we're examining their current diet, I assume you'd find a lot more crap. And, of note, their longevity is also decreasing.
      Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
      ~Borges

Comment

I think the issue with comparing cultures is, as roszka alludes to, is the "Paul Harvey" of it all. For example, the French. They eat a TON of grains (breads) and alcohol, etc...but they also eat about a 10th of the sugar that Americans do (I don't have the citation here, but I can look for it), don't shy away from fats & oils, walk/ride bikes a lot (cause it's so dang expensive to drive there), have famously shorter workweeks, and the lower stress "European" lifestyle.... So, in my mind, they are halfway along the battle - they might still have grains, but they don't have all the processed sugar, or at least not nearly as much as the average American/Aussie/Canadian/Briton. I know these are broad generalizations, but work with me on this - looked at another way, the "typical" European lifestyle has more of the Primal Laws than a lot of Americans...which to me is a good indicator that Mark and the PB are really, really on to something and also that the 10 laws aren't necessarily in rank order...that the more of the laws one incorporates into life, the better off they will be...maybe the majic number really is 80% of the laws 80% of the time... :-)
        “Whatever you hold in your mind will tend to occur in your life. If you continue to believe as you have always believed, you will continue to act as you have always acted. If you continue to act as you have always acted, you will continue to get what you have always gotten. If you want different results in your life or your work, all you have to do is change your mind.” Unknown

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general." - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Dave View Post
          I think the issue with comparing cultures is, as roszka alludes to, is the "Paul Harvey" of it all. For example, the French. They eat a TON of grains (breads) and alcohol, etc
          but they really don't. While bread and alcohol are important parts of meals, overall, caloric intake especially irt grain products is very low. I've spent a lot of time in Florence, Italy over the last couple of years and am suprised every day by how little people actually eat. Even the ubiquitous pasta is measured prior to cooking to control portion sizes.

And both traditional french and italian diets are much closer to PB than one might think at just a glance.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
            but they really don't. While bread and alcohol are important parts of meals, overall, caloric intake especially irt grain products is very low. I've spent a lot of time in Florence, Italy over the last couple of years and am suprised every day by how little people actually eat. Even the ubiquitous pasta is measured prior to cooking to control portion sizes.

And both traditional french and italian diets are much closer to PB than one might think at just a glance.
            100% agree with that! I went to a french restaurant the other day and the menu had no grains legumes etc. Filled with meat fish a few vegetables and fatty sauces or butter.
            "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Comment

okinawan diet has been discussed here, so here is the funny thing about it: recently i watched a program on japanese tv featuring the currently most popular dish on okinawa: white rice with margarine: just white rice and margarine (apparently a lot of it)

and in general, since the end of ww2 okinawa has become an american colony, with more than 75 percent of all american military bases located there, which has led to relatively high level of westernization of dietary habits , and guess what: okinawa has the highest obesity level in all japan (yet paradoxically okinawans have the longest lifespans among all japanese)

Comment

Here's a great article on the Okinawan diet from Dr. B.G. over at the Animal Pharm blog:
                http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com/...fat-diets.html

Note that the Okinawans eat a type of bitter melon that lowers glucose (which would lead to less insulin secretion and the one consistent determining factor for longevity is low lifetime insulin output- that's one of the reasons CRON works) and eat less carbs/rice and more fat/protein than the rest of Japan. Pork belly is one of their favorite foods.

Here's another article from the same blog on the effects of the pork/saturated fat on the Okinawan's hormone levels and adrenal gland health (which is so interesting to me, because in Chinese medicine, pork is known as being beneficial for the kidney/adrenal system, which is thought to control aging and sex hormone production.)
                http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com/...ork-again.html
                http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

Maybe if we started thinking about fish as "meat" again, at least some of this would be demystified.
                  You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Working...
                  X