Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal an alternative to Propecia, Minoxil, etc? (Hair loss treatment)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK wasn't clear to me that you were losing hair before your diet change.

Don't know what to suggest to you but hope you find some answers somewhere.

Comment

I've been following a stricter form of paleo- the autoimmune protocol - for two years. Prior to starting my hair was weak, broke easily and was starting to thin a little. I also had problems with candida overgrowth and dandruff, which I think in my case was fungal in nature, and I had anemia.

The dandruff was the first I notice change. That cleared up within a couple of months of cutting out grains. I dont remember ever having a period of time of shedding hair, like you describe - that would have freaked me out if I had a big shedding event. In my case it was a gradual process. I noticed my hair and nails growing a little faster, after about six months. After about a year it was noticeably thicker - I'm not sure how much of that is due to the strands themselves being thicker or if I actually regrew hair from follicles that had lost it. When I shower I have a few strands that shed, but its what to normally expect, not the big handfuls I used to have.

I still have other health issues that I am dealing with, but there's no doubt in my mind that primal can help with hair and nail growth. But the degree it helps may depend on how long someone has been losing hair, male vs female patterns of baldness, genetics etc. It could be that if the cause of the hair loss is related to health or stress there is a better result with diet changes than if the cause is genetics.

Comment

Originally posted by catgirl320 View Post
        I've been following a stricter form of paleo- the autoimmune protocol - for two years. Prior to starting my hair was weak, broke easily and was starting to thin a little. I also had problems with candida overgrowth and dandruff, which I think in my case was fungal in nature, and I had anemia.

The dandruff was the first I notice change. That cleared up within a couple of months of cutting out grains. I dont remember ever having a period of time of shedding hair, like you describe - that would have freaked me out if I had a big shedding event. In my case it was a gradual process. I noticed my hair and nails growing a little faster, after about six months. After about a year it was noticeably thicker - I'm not sure how much of that is due to the strands themselves being thicker or if I actually regrew hair from follicles that had lost it. When I shower I have a few strands that shed, but its what to normally expect, not the big handfuls I used to have.

I still have other health issues that I am dealing with, but there's no doubt in my mind that primal can help with hair and nail growth. But the degree it helps may depend on how long someone has been losing hair, male vs female patterns of baldness, genetics etc. It could be that if the cause of the hair loss is related to health or stress there is a better result with diet changes than if the cause is genetics.
        hey catgirl,
        thx alot for your reply!

first: I dont realy belive in that "genetic hair loss". sure, genetics can play a role, but I think its more like how vulnerable a person can be for different "diseases".
        but these genetic hair loss seems, in my opinion, more the answer of the medicine because of ignorance.
        but thats another topic.

yea, since I am on primal, I realized an amazing boost of nail grow, on my feets and my hands I can realy see how they grow
        also I realized, that my "fat" toe (the biggest one, dunno how its called in english ^^) has some wrong rippels, means, it looks like sometimes it had strong grow, sometimes it stopped.
        since primal, the nail is getting even again, means, the toe nail is growing out that wrong ripples and is getting some kinda smoother surface.
        thats someting that MAY be related to insulin, too.
        Oh, if you wonder, why I did not go to a doctor to clear that out (insulin, prostate, etc) - I am living not in my mother country germany, so will come to a doctor xmas next time. but than Ill check that out.

right, I think diet itself is not always THE cure for everything, specially when there is bad damage already.
        bit like I mentioned, sometimes it needs some time to recover. and if ppl are patient enough, even bad damage can cure or stop getting worse. and I am not doing primal to get younger but I also dont wanna age rapidly just because I am eating crap and living a SAD life. and losing hair is a BIG singe of aging!

thx again for your answer!
        markus

Comment

I prefer to use natural herbs to get rid of hair loss treatment.

Comment

A good diet with no stress and exercise can reduce hair loss yes. But hair loss is mainly genetic. I have seen young healthy guys go bald completely at age 20. On the flip side I have seen grown men 70 years old, stress all day and smoke, very poor diet, yet they have the fullest, thickest head of hair.

Comment

Working...
            X