Television Commercials

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Television Commercials

So I haven't had cable in years... about 3 years now, simply because i'm poor as fuck... I have nothing at all but Netflix.

Now i'm less poor as fuck... and while I technically could afford cable now I don't have it. Internet and Netflix is good enough for me.

So... I haven't really seen many commercials for a long time. But I'm at my parents house right now and they're watching TV and DAAAAMN...

Every commercial break is stuffed with the shittiest junk food, fast food, and all around crap... ... and then advertisements for things like DailyBurn.com and Weight Watchers.

I'm so glad I'm away from this stuff and it's clear why some people struggle. I've seen the same KFC commercials so many times in the last half hour it almost makes we want to get a bucket...

EDIT: It meant to put this in the Odds & Ins sections....
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

I find commercials to be a good guide as to what not to eat. Any company paying for national tv ads is also generally paying for pretty packaging, etc., leaving very little money for their food to have any nutritional value. There are a few exceptions, but they're rare.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

I choose not to have cable. I get to hear about all the newest fast food items thanks to co-workers. Lucky me. All I can think is how sad it is that they come to work and thats what they talk about.

Comment

Originally posted by Stacy15 View Post
        I choose not to have cable. I get to hear about all the newest fast food items thanks to co-workers. Lucky me. All I can think is how sad it is that they come to work and thats what they talk about.
        Same here! Pretty sad indeed.

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
        I find commercials to be a good guide as to what not to eat. Any company paying for national tv ads is also generally paying for pretty packaging, etc., leaving very little money for their food to have any nutritional value. There are a few exceptions, but they're rare.
        Yeah I've tried to explain this idea to people too. "Delicious meats and fresh vegetables don't need commercials. They transcend time. If they is a commercial for it, chances are it's not good for you."

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Comment

I recently got rid of DirecTV. It wasn't a money issue--I just finally got on the Netflix wagon, and after about a month I realized I was barely using it any more, and my contract was up, so I just ditched it. Even keeping up with current episodes of shows I used to DVR is pretty easy, and even buying episodes through Xbox, I come out something like $50 ahead every month. Live sporting events I want to see get watched with friends at a sports bar, or at one of their places (I can still get PPV fights and stuff via Xbox if I feel like hosting). Easy. I don't miss the terrible commercials at all, and the really good/funny ones end up getting shared on Facebook or whatever, so I can see them if I want.

Comment

I just ditched directv also and got Netflix. Way more stuff I want to watch no commercials save a ton of cash.

My kids don't get suckered into begging me for junk in not going to buy anyway. It's a win win.
            I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
              Easy. I don't miss the terrible commercials at all, and the really good/funny ones end up getting shared on Facebook or whatever, so I can see them if I want.
              Truthfully I think a lot of younger people are finding this to be true (younger meaning 35 years old and below)

Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
              I just ditched directv also and got Netflix. Way more stuff I want to watch no commercials save a ton of cash.

My kids don't get suckered into begging me for junk in not going to buy anyway. It's a win win.
              I tried to explain this to my friend with a kid and she said, "But i love commercials." ... wat?

Comment

Most commercials and for crap food I don't eat and medicines that you wouldn't need most likely if you stop eating crap for food.
                I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
                  Most commercials and for crap food I don't eat and medicines that you wouldn't need most likely if you stop eating crap for food.
                  Yeah, I forgot about the massive amount of prescription drugs advertised.

Comment

I will say the only commercials I miss are for movies. I like seeing movies and have no idea what's out or coming out. But again...co-workers come in handy for this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Stacy15 View Post
                      I will say the only commercials I miss are for movies. I like seeing movies and have no idea what's out or coming out. But again...co-workers come in handy for this as well.
                      Yeah when we decide to hit the movies I usually have to go to youtube to watch a bunch of trailers because i'm clueless...

Comment

DH says he thinks the commercials are there so he can hear how much ive expanded my vocabulary (Yeah swear a lot at them... especially the crap they try to pass of as food for dogs)
                        Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I spend most of my time in Egypt and have 5 TV channels that are in English and I don't watch them much. And they don't have near the commercials that US TV does.

As a result, when I go to the US the amount of commercials are truly irritating. For shit food, chemicals (prescription medications), etc. are all CW of course but Americans go out and buy the shit anyway. "Part of this healthy breakfast", bullshit!

And you can tell the audience being targeted during different times of the day.

But by far the most irritating drug commercial that I have seen has to be the Crestor "Superfan" commercial. I swear I want to kill my TV every time it comes on.

I couldn't find a good version on Youtube but you can view it hear if your so inclined.

https://www.crestor.com/p/dtc/index.aspx
                          Randal
                          AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                          Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                          http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

I think about commercials often while I'm shopping... because theres always some bright and colorful advertisement for some special for something somewhere, always. Half the time they're selling toys and prizes (today specifically I began to wonder about the psychological reasoning behind bright colored posters and advertisements to sell products because children want the thing that is pink and blue with a tiger on it before the plain jane product and wondered where children begin this sort of behavior) and thinking about what exactly goes into the average person purchasing the things they do. Earlier this week I posted a thread on here that listed different FDA and USDA links to what actually defines food as what it says it is and the rules behind processing and labeling (to be deemed organic a farm has to undergo strict guidelines, however, to be considered "fresh" or "low fat" is an entirely difference process, etc.)

I also don't buy cable and only pay for internet, netflix and hulu, and occasionally will purchase something particularly interesting on Amazon that isn't available on either site. So I am also isolated from the daily ads. And it does also astonish me to a certain extra point when I DO encounter cable how contradictory each advertisement is. It's very "EAT THIS" and then "SUBSCRIBE TO US TO GET SKINNY AGAIN AFTER EATIG ALL THAT SHIT!!!"

like... Sensa. Or... Weight watchers. Or healthy McDonalds... or whatever. Or even today when I had to report a blog on my Wordpress account that was spamming everyone about liposuction and the exercise desk chair which is totally terribly for you, while so is sitting at a desk all day... ugh. We spend SO much time and money looking for the "next big thing" when the thing that works has been in front of us since... the beginning. AH!

Comment

I think about commercials often while I'm shopping... because theres always some bright and colorful advertisement for some special for something somewhere, always. Half the time they're selling toys and prizes (today specifically I began to wonder about the psychological reasoning behind bright colored posters and advertisements to sell products because children want the thing that is pink and blue with a tiger on it before the plain jane product and wondered where children begin this sort of behavior) and thinking about what exactly goes into the average person purchasing the things they do. Earlier this week I posted a thread on here that listed different FDA and USDA links to what actually defines food as what it says it is and the rules behind processing and labeling (to be deemed organic a farm has to undergo strict guidelines, however, to be considered "fresh" or "low fat" is an entirely difference process, etc.)

Comment

Working...
                              X