No announcement yet.

Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young girl in my college class 18 or so comes in every class with a full sugar soda and a box of cookies or donuts. She comes into the last class and is really sick. She says it is due to stress. OMG I sooo wanted to tell her it was her eating habits!!
    I"m 38 taking 2 college courses over the summer 1 condensed. I have 2 young kids at home and my house is in forclosure and my husband is out of work. I've got more stress than that those are just the big ones!! I'm not sick in fact I feel better than I have in years!!
    Had no idea I was so weak till I started walking in October. Could barely make it around the block!
    Now can walk on the beach for hours.

Comment

• Originally posted by kaylakala View Post
      Young girl in my college class 18 or so comes in every class with a full sugar soda and a box of cookies or donuts. She comes into the last class and is really sick. She says it is due to stress. OMG I sooo wanted to tell her it was her eating habits!!
      I"m 38 taking 2 college courses over the summer 1 condensed. I have 2 young kids at home and my house is in forclosure and my husband is out of work. I've got more stress than that those are just the big ones!! I'm not sick in fact I feel better than I have in years!!
      It probably is her eating habits. But just because she's 18, doesn't mean she doesn't have anything to stress about. When i was 18, i was a transient living in a boarding house.
      I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Comment

• ok, so these girls are 20 somethings....(20 something years younger than me and don't know it! - not that i hide it...they just think i am closer to their age than i am)

friend: she (me) eats 3 eggs every morning!
        co-worker: OMG stop that! you don't want high cholesterol!
        me: yep...and bacon too.....the only thing that needs to worry about an egg's cholesterol is the egg
        co-worker: no no....really you should stop eating those eggs! you eat the yellow part too???

moving on.....

friend: we really need to go running every night, lots of cardio is the only way to get rid of fat, we have a week before the river
        me: uh.....
        friend: oh you can't argue that with me...cardio builds muscle AND burns fat! this i know!

moving on.....

Comment

• Originally posted by milly3 View Post
          I don't know...I think it's just a case of a whole lot of people NOT thinking things through. Hospital menus are designed by administrators and nutritionists, and administered by nurses and aides...and meanwhile the doctors are doing their thing with tests and treatments. Everyone has good intentions but there's just a disconnect. I really doubt that pharmaceutical companies are sitting in their offices saying "hee hee, more ice cream for you means more cancer patients for us!"
          It's not that specific. When the Rockefellers decided to get into the pharma business (petroleum is a main ingredient in pharma drugs) they decided that they would create med schools and also give huge charitiable donations to existing medical schools. The idea was to control what was taught to the doctors. Doctors are taught about pharma drugs and surgery. They are taught that nutrition has nothing to do with illness. The rockefellers spent billions of dollars influencing what was taught to doctors so that the only treatments that would be acceptable in the USA would be drugs/surgery.

So when you see cancer patients eating ice cream it's not because some evil person is making them eat ice cream. Hospitals and schools have to serve food based on what the USDA recommends. That's why the food in hospitals is so disgusting. The USDA pretty much admits that the food pie isn't based on science, but it's based on trying to keep the big corporations happy. The ADA gets most of it's funding from drug and food companies.

Comment

• Went out with a friend yesterday and somehow diet came up and she said "red meat causes cancer. Americans have cancer more than in other countries because they eat so much red meat." I said it wasn't because of red meat, but because of all the processed crap, i.e. the difference between a burger from McD's versus organic pastured beef. (Didn't get to say that Americans don't eat as much red meat as they used to, and it doesn't make up as big of a portion of our diets, or that if you look at proportions most of what Americans eat is sugar, cheap and simple).

So then she said, "You only need 15g of protein a day, and I get enough from cheese and leafy greens... that's what experts say!" I think my eyes just about popped out of my head, and I just said that most of what mainstream nutrition 'experts' have to say is absolutely false. But then we bonded over how ridiculous it is that people think that vegetarianism automatically means healthiness (she said 'all they eat is chips,' and I found it amusing that she didn't mention pasta or bread, which are what she lives on).

Comment

• Originally posted by ELizabeth826 View Post
              Cinnamon Toast Crunch is actually COATED with sugar. So I don't know how people could NOT know how much sugar is in that one....
              so...my mom comes home from work at like 1030ishPM and says to my dog "i'm gonna have some oatmeal" and i went "good god...why would you have carbohydrates right before bed?" (she is weight watcher brainwashed even tho she doesn't follow WW anymore) and she says "oh...hmmm....never thought about it, oatmeal is a carbohydrate?"

*eye roll*

Comment

• 15 Scariest Food Additives
                Scary Ingredient #8:
                Azodicarbonamide (A synthetic yellow-orange dough conditioner)

Where you'll find it: Dunkin’ Donuts bagels, McDonald’s burger buns

We are all going to die from these scary science experiments....
                It makes me sad that people are trying hard to do the right thing but failing because they have the wrong information.
                Without question, bacon is the most interesting meat in the world, and if it were capable of original thought, we wouldn't even be having an election this November in America. We would simply appoint bacon as our forever leader and live dutifully under its rule.

Comment

• Not funny... just very encouraging. In the past 3 days I have both
                  read an article in Readers Digest and listened to a story on NPR all dealing with the effects of sugar and carbs and the connection to cardiac disease and obesity. The word is getting out there - HOORAY!
                  It makes me sad that people are trying hard to do the right thing but failing because they have the wrong information.
                  Without question, bacon is the most interesting meat in the world, and if it were capable of original thought, we wouldn't even be having an election this November in America. We would simply appoint bacon as our forever leader and live dutifully under its rule.

Comment

• Originally posted by spakesneaker View Post

So then she said, "You only need 15g of protein a day, and I get enough from cheese and leafy greens... that's what experts say!"
                    To steal a line from Greg Everett on Robb Wolf's latest podcast, I could lick 15 grams of protein off my face right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by hottierockstar View Post
                      so...my mom comes home from work at like 1030ishPM and says to my dog "i'm gonna have some oatmeal" and i went "good god...why would you have carbohydrates right before bed?" (she is weight watcher brainwashed even tho she doesn't follow WW anymore) and she says "oh...hmmm....never thought about it, oatmeal is a carbohydrate?"

*eye roll*
                      Mmm...FYI carbohydrates should be consumed before bed.

Is Late Night Eating Better for Fat Loss and Health? | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

The closer to bed your carbs are, the less likely they are to be stored as fat. There's a reason why animals pass out after their large meals, yet we're the only fat animals. I recommend skipping breakfast, eating a meal of protein and fiber for lunch, then stuff your carbs at dinner if you eat carbs, especially after your workout.
                      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

• This: www. potatoes .com/Nutrition.cfm
                        Washington State Potato Commission.
                        (Not done as live link so they don't benefit from it! (just remove spaces))

Quote: "Carbohydrates DO NOT cause weight gain and obesity
                        Carbohydrates DO NOT automatically cause blood sugar "spikes" and insulin "surges"
                        Carbohydrates DO NOT cause diabetes, heart disease or cancer."
                        Last edited by Silky; 08-08-2011, 12:12 PM.
                        My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silky View Post
                          This: www. potatoes .com/Nutrition.cfm
                          Washington State Potato Commission.
                          (Not done as live link so they don't benefit from it! (just remove spaces))

Quote: "Carbohydrates DO NOT cause weight gain and obesity
                          Carbohydrates DO NOT automatically cause blood sugar "spikes" and insulin "surges"
                          Carbohydrates DO NOT cause diabetes, heart disease or cancer."
                          This is true, though. Carbohydrates don't cause weight gain and obesity. Insulin resistance brought on by frequent eating and excessive refined carbohydrate and omega 6 consumption causes obesity. You'll find it very difficult to get fat off of potatoes because they're higher on the satiety index than meat. It's actually difficult to eat enough potato to get fat. I eat two pounds of them after a workout and it's only about 125g of carbs, which falls inside Mark's recommended daily allotment of 100-150g of carbs for people not looking to lose weight. Last Sunday, I ate 4 white potatoes, 2 sweet potatoes, an apple and two mangoes all in one day and I didn't hit my goal of 250g of carbs. That's a lot to pack in two meals, especially with the pound and a half of meat I ate along with it in total. And I still barely hit 2,000 calories for the day.

Carbohydrates don't necessarily cause blood sugar spikes and insulin surges. Avocados, lettuce and black beans are all carbohydrates, but they'll generate less insulin than steak in a 100g serving. Hell, liver has a higher glycemic load than some of them. A 100g serving of beef liver has a glycemic index of '4', while a 100g serving of avocado, lettuce and black beans have glycemic loads of '2', '1' and '8' respectively. Beef is highly insulinogenic, and whey and casein proteins will spike your insulin more than bread. Insulin spikes aren't necessarily evil, anyway. Carbs are mostly about timing.

Same thing with the diseases. Carbohydrates don't cause diabetes, heart disease or cancer. Grain toxins, processed vegetable oils, refined carbohydrates, refined sugars, soy-packed boxed frankenfoods...these things cause diabetes, heart disease and cancer...and they all have one thing in common - they aren't found anywhere in nature. A potato, white/wild rice and bananas never hurt anyone. These things are natural and shouldn't be avoided unless you have lots of weight to lose...and let's face it, if we weren't indulging in all the fake processed crap and only eating carbs in the forms of potatoes, white/wild rice and bananas, we wouldn't be overweight to begin with. It's not the starch in grains that make them evil, it's the gluten/lectins/enzymes/phytate. Anything is toxic in too high of a quantity, even water.

Sorry, I don't mean to rant. I just get upset when I see the carbohydrate hatred and fear around here. Remember the 20 years we were all terrified of fat? Now, the new demon is carbohydrate. Didn't we learn the first time not to demonize an entire macronutrient? Carbs have their place and are a huge boost to performance and fat loss if you know how to time them. If it weren't for starch, I'd be carrying an extra 10 pounds of body fat that I couldn't lose sticking to the Primal Blueprint's 50-100g of carbs a day for fat loss approach. Only when I started cycling them - 50g on off days and 250g on workout days while keeping fats super low on workout days (<50g) - did the fat start to melt off.
                          Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-10-2011, 02:30 PM.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

• As someone who gained weight eating a diet high in fresh vegetable and fruit carbs and not refined sugar, processed veg oil, or Frankensteinfoods etc I hear what you are saying, but still think that website is not giving the whole story about carbs. The majority of the audience is not going to have the knowledge you have, or be an athlete that needs as many carb grams as you do. It implies there is no problem with eating as many carbs as you like. I think the site adds to the confusion out there rather than helps.

And I put on weight throughout CW and meds eating tones of fresh fruit and veg and avoiding much of the Frankenstein stuff you describe. So my n=1 is very different to yours.
                            My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shawn Mihalik View Post
                              tortillas ... "Now made with 100 percent vegetable oil instead of lard for a less fatty tortilla."
                              Yuckiness of veg oil totally aside, how do they figure that using oil vs. lard magically makes it "less fatty"? They're both fats... 1 gram of fat is 1 gram of fat, eh? If they're using fewer grams than before, that's "less fatty."

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                              behind a restaurant. They had tossed out a bunch of boxes of soybean oil that weighed 35 pounds each.
                              Ugh. Reminds me of the time I passed a Thai place and they had discarded a plastic 55 gallon drum labeled "BROWN SAUCE."

"Brown" huh? That's all you can say about it, what color it is? Guuuuhhhh...
                              "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenny View Post
                                Y
                                Ugh. Reminds me of the time I passed a Thai place and they had discarded a plastic 55 gallon drum labeled "BROWN SAUCE."

"Brown" huh? That's all you can say about it, what color it is? Guuuuhhhh...

Note to self, only walk behind restaurants if I never want to eat there again.
                                No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
                                -Maimonodies

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.

Babes with BBQ

Comment

Working...
                                X