No announcement yet.

Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure if this qualifies as a CW moment, but it's amusing (or sad, depending on your take.)

Last week at the office, we had lunch brought in for our team during a meeting. Typical boxed lunch from a catering company - I managed to order a nice salad with grilled veggies, to which I added some things I brought from home: sirloin steak, pumpkin seeds, and balsamic and olive oil (the dressing that came with it was a bit sketchy.)

When I offered up the cookie and Stacy's Pita Chips that came with the meal, I got some puzzled looks. "I'm doing low-carb," I said, going for a simple explanation. "Oh, me too," one of my coworkers chimed in, "but I make exceptions." (or something like that.)

Anyway, her lunch was a chicken salad over noodles; it also came with a snack-size bag of popcorn and a brownie, both of which she ate; she also grabbed my unwanted cookie "for later." I get the idea of "making exceptions", and I'm all in favor of a flexible approach to any diet/lifestyle, but two desserts and popcorn? Really? Maybe she has a different understanding of "low-carb" than I do!
    Last edited by classicalgeek; 02-24-2015, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• Just like my co-worker who 'doesn't eat sugar'. She eats everything but wheat!
      "I should't eat this candy, because I'll have a headache, but I eat it anyways. I'll just eat another candy to get rid of the headache." She's a diabetic...
      I told her about PB/MDA, but she is convinced of CW.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
        I guess this fits here:

The young Bro at the gym who wore a lifting belt--a decent 4" leather one--for the entirety of his workout. During the Ab Rocker. During curls. During step ups to a bosu ball...
        You gotta keep the core engaged, brah, during the whole workout.

My favorite is when someone is benching, and they either use straps (maybe to keep the bar from flying through the ceiling) or load it with bumper plates when plenty of regular plates are available.
        In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

• Co-workers that follow weight watchers (or more like 'counting their junk food points diet' the way they do it) were trying to explain how healthy WW is. "Because with WW you can eat everything - as long as it's in moderation. Moderation makes it healthy." Wait, what?! What's funny is that they actually believe eating 1200 calories of junk food is healthy somehow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stacy15 View Post
            Co-workers that follow weight watchers (or more like 'counting their junk food points diet' the way they do it) were trying to explain how healthy WW is. "Because with WW you can eat everything - as long as it's in moderation. Moderation makes it healthy." Wait, what?! What's funny is that they actually believe eating 1200 calories of junk food is healthy somehow.
            Mmm, no one who's doing it right would eat nothing but junk food... WW does encourage real food, since all veg and fruits have no points. Well, except avocado. Anyway, if you're staying strictly within points then fruits and veg are pretty much mandatory to stay satisfied. That was my experience, anyway.

Not that I think weight watchers is perfect. Dad annoys me SO MUCH... he won't eat anything I make with almond flour because it's 'too many points'. Instead he has these horrid little mini-bagels that are only 3 points...
            Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
              Mmm, no one who's doing it right would eat nothing but junk food... WW does encourage real food, since all veg and fruits have no points. Well, except avocado. Anyway, if you're staying strictly within points then fruits and veg are pretty much mandatory to stay satisfied. That was my experience, anyway.

Not that I think weight watchers is perfect. Dad annoys me SO MUCH... he won't eat anything I make with almond flour because it's 'too many points'. Instead he has these horrid little mini-bagels that are only 3 points...
              Not that mini bagels are a good substitute, but almond flour treats are pretty much calorie bombs. I watch calories now... and work a lot with either coconut flour or oats.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• Originally posted by tigermind View Post
                Just like my co-worker who 'doesn't eat sugar'. She eats everything but wheat!
                "I should't eat this candy, because I'll have a headache, but I eat it anyways. I'll just eat another candy to get rid of the headache." She's a diabetic...
                I told her about PB/MDA, but she is convinced of CW.
                That's some circular logic right there! She doesn't eat sugar, but she eats candy, even though it makes her feel lousy? Wow!

And speaking of CW-believing diabetics, there's my dad - he's almost 72, has had type-2 diabetes for 25 years, and is also on meds for high cholesterol and blood pressure. What does he eat? Processed carbs. Processed meat. Fake sweeteners. Sugar-free junk food. A typical breakfast is oatmeal, one or two pieces of toast, a banana, OJ, and coffee (with Splenda, of course!) Oh, and he uses margarine and Egg Beaters in place of real butter and eggs because of fat- and cholesterol-phobia.

It's hard to watch someone you care about make so many questionable choices. I think he could really benefit from a Primal lifestyle! My (non-primal but very health-conscious) wife and I have tried several times to gently nudge him to make some changes, but the mind is just not open. His response is usually some variation on "No point in changing my ways at this age. Just need to listen to my doctors and keep taking my medication."

I think I need to seek out a thread on talking to loved ones who need to make a change!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildrose View Post

Pretty sure the only part of WW they are getting right is counting points. I have no idea what is consumed outside of work, but if anything like at work...its horrible! Besides an occasional banana, all food comes out of some sort of package or wrapper. Can't imagine they can last long doing it that way. Poor things must be starving.

Comment

• Originally posted by classicalgeek View Post
                    It's hard to watch someone you care about make so many questionable choices. I think he could really benefit from a Primal lifestyle!
                    That was one of the things I was determined to do in 2013 when I first went primal. I expected to convince a bunch of people to go primal as well, when they witnessed the huge benefits. Nobody did. I was really disappoined. Even my really progressive, 'health conscious' mom kept to her CW ways. Even though they saw me change and wanted to know how, nobody decided to try it for themselves.

Today another coworker told me she switched from regular milk to soy, and felt better. She asked if that was ok according to paleo (which I'd just told her about). Very cautiously told her no. I also said "just do what feels right for you, be honest to yourself about it and eat what feels healthy in the long term". I hope to inspire her later on...

Comment

• One from mom's work...

Mom's boss and most of her coworkers are diabetic and have very unhealthy relationships with Tim Hortons. For those who don't know, that's our Canadian iconic doughnut and coffee shop. The doughnuts are pretty good but mom says they have them EVERY DAY. Anyway, her boss went to a CW session for diabetics, trying to teach them how to control it. Mom came home to tell me this...

Mom: So all she got out of it is that the meat on the plate needs to be the size of a deck of cards.

Me: ...I totally believe they said that but that's it? Nothing about healthy whole grains and, you know, cutting down on the doughnuts?

Mom: No, and she says her husband is complaining bitterly about the deck of cards thing.

Me: Um... do you think that's all the trainer told her, or does she have a wicked case of selective hearing?

Mom: The latter. This is why I never try to tell her anything.

Me: Ah. I see.

Strange people in this world...
                      Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

• A co-worker comes into my office today with a bag of fig newtons. Offers me one. I say "No thanks, I don't eat that stuff"
                        Him: What do you mean? They're healthy
                        Me: No. They're not. Read the ingredients.
                        Him: I don't need to, there's an app [scans the label with his iPhone]
                        Me: Forget the app. Read the ingredients
                        Him: No, the app says... Oh crap... They're full of sugar and barely have any actual fruit
                        Me: Dude, ignore the app
                        Him: I need to find another brand that's healthier. I never eat cake or cookies or anything unhealthy, I thought these were good for me
                        Me: Yeah, read me the ingredients
                        Him: "Enriched bleached flour"
                        Me: Total garbage
                        Him: [continues reading ingredients]
                        Me: [continues shooting them down, 1 by 1]
                        Him: Dammit!
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                          A co-worker comes into my office today with a bag of fig newtons. Offers me one. I say "No thanks, I don't eat that stuff"
                          Him: No, the app says... Oh crap... They're full of sugar and barely have any actual fruit
                          Him: I need to find another brand that's healthier. I never eat cake or cookies or anything unhealthy, I thought these were good for me
                          Lol I wish I could do that, but most people I work with now are either fully aware that what they're eating is "unhealthy" and just don't care or like to argue that enriched bleached flour has its place in a moderate, healthy diet.

On a funny note, I found something in Kroger a couple days ago: lite nonfat yogurt with less calories than regular yogurt. I would post the evidence, but the app won't let me. You'll just have to believe me.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

A co-worker comes into my office today with a bag of fig newtons. Offers me one. I say "No thanks, I don't eat that stuff"
                            Excellent! Well done! I wish I had the nerve to do that with some people...

On Tuesday, I wasn't feeling terribly hungry when I woke up, and decided to go with that instead of eating breakfast out of habit. I ended up taking my scrambled eggs and sausage to work and having them the next time I felt hunger - around 11AM. Upon telling my wife this, I received the following well-worn CW axiom that we've all heard before: "Skipping breakfast? That's not smart! You need it to kick-start your metabolism!"

I don't know where that got started, but I feel better listening to my body. I've gained too many pounds over the years by eating when I wasn't hungry!

Comment

hey, the figs and salt aren't total garbage at least.

Comment

• A lot of people don't read labels.

Years ago, I couldn't believe the first time I read the back of a "tuna in water," can, only to find that it had soy in in it. The day I stood in a grocery aisle and looked at so many jars of tomato sauce that I was almost in tears from the frustration of finding out that unless I wanted to pay $7-8 per jar for it, it was going to be crap (I've since switched to tomato paste and make my own sauce).

Priorities are different for different people, and health can often be second for a person who has finally had it with the way the culture treats fat people.

That said, people who still believe that "healthy snacks" exist on grocery store shelves are naive.
                                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                                X