No announcement yet.

Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haven't you guys figured it out yet? Facebook is the modern day way of keeping up with the Joneses. It's all about creating an alternate persona for yourself to compete with your followers. Ever notice how most young girls, for example, are often more interested in taking specific pictures of themselves at parties and such more so than the actual events? It's all an attempt to outdo each other on Facebook.

Comment

• Funny CW moments

I don't believe in FB's privacy filters. (It's been known to be leaked multiple times in the past: the incident where Mark Z's own fb privacy filters were accidentally glitched and people could access his "friends-only" content or when fb messages were sent completely to the wrong individual thanks to a bug/virus.) What I have on there is the same stuff as what I have out in public, or pretty darn close to it. However, I don't really think that the average person like me would ever trigger any sort of serious interest in being scrutinized by the NSA or whatever. They've got bigger fish to fry and if they REALLY wanted me, I am screwed ANYWAY from the security cameras everywhere, the money trail from banks/cc's, the IP addresses, the information I've shared with third parties be it gmail or friends, etc. I think people think too highly of themselves to think that the government will actually find them important enough to stalk. Unless you're running some big time operation, the Feds are not going to care. Also... Unless you pay for everything in cash and use an alias every day of your life, the government can find you within minutes if they really wanted to.

So other than the fact that I don't share the exact details of my travel schedule, address, birthday, monetary/legal details, and full legal name around, I don't give a F*** about the false sense of security I can obtain from privacy filters or from attempts to stay off social media. If I really don't want something to get out, I won't even tell my best friend because my best friend is a "third person." I WILL respect other people's decisions though if they want to kept off social media or whatever by not tagging them or putting their pictures up. As for me personally? I don't care.

I make sure that my security question's answers cannot be found with a glance at my FB content (ex "what's your hometown"... Come ON) and that my true birthday is not on any network aside from my bank, but otherwise trying to be paranoid is futile.

(Of course... Not disputing the fact that putting up your "having a good time" pictures up is a bad idea...)
      Last edited by TQP; 01-26-2015, 10:12 PM.
      JOURNAL..
      @BabesWithBBQ.
      Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
      Professional Style Website.
      #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• I mostly just use FB as a marketing tool to advertise my music stuff, and occasionally my law practice. I certainly don't put anything private on there. Mostly it's just "I have a gig coming up! Come hear me perform!"

Comment

• Originally posted by TQP View Post
          I think people think too highly of themselves to think that the government will actually find them important enough to stalk. Unless you're running some big time operation, the Feds are not going to care.
          Guy I sort of knew (internet acquaintance!) was busted for manufacturing and distributing fake coupons. The CIC (lol Coupon Information Corporation) worked with the FBI on the case. CIC claimed he was responsible for costing companies hundreds of thousands of dollars by distributing the coupons online, but I'm sure it wasn't that extreme. When the details came out it seemed he made the mistake of logging into one of his forum accounts once without tor, from his campus network. Logged on campus network with his student account ouch.

Was facing "up to 30 years" prison time but I have no idea what actually became of him.

DEA has been known to track down people who purchase drugs online and have them offered reduced sentences for helping bring down dealers. Internet's a scary place, and you never really know what your kids are up to online.

"Big time operation" is relative, and we're not the ones making that distinction.

EDIT: guess that didn't really address your post though. it's true most of us have nothing to worry about, but the future is just so uncertain. and once something is on the internet it never really goes away.

i don't even have tor installed though. it would be ideal to be as anonymous as possible but that stuff is such a pain. guess i won't be getting into politics :P

When it comes to parents posting pictures of their children it doesn't matter to me. They're not my kids!
          Last edited by Nellodee; 01-27-2015, 12:24 AM.
          Music of the day/week/month/whatever:

K.A.A.N. - L.T.N. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWocmse1Ef4

Comment

• Originally posted by Nellodee View Post
            CIC claimed he was responsible for costing companies hundreds of thousands of dollars by distributing the coupons online, but I'm sure it wasn't that extreme.
            You can't just make up numbers in what he cost the companies. The government would have to produce the calculation methods they used to get the numbers: the baseline sales of the companies (how much they WOULD have made on the original product price), how many coupons he distributed, how much discount, the resultant number. I doubt your friend told you the whole truth of what he was up to.

I would count manufacturing and distributing fake coupons almost the same as manufacturing and distributing fake money and count that as a big time operation. That's just me though.

That's just my opinion. *shrug* Not going to stop others from their opinion on the Internet.
            JOURNAL..
            @BabesWithBBQ.
            Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
            Professional Style Website.
            #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

• I guess. He just seemed like some punk kid ("hey you guys want big macs for a dollar??"), but then the news comes out and his life seems to basically be over. Personally it seems hard to imagine so many people printing off fake coupons that it cost those companies that much, but maybe.

point is, it's easy to land yourself in trouble online. a dumb kid rebelling against "corporate america" isn't so uncommon and parents should be made aware of this stuff.

Comment

• What that has to do with facebook I'm not sure. Sorry, I took this way off topic.

We're all mostly in agreement. Most people have nothing to worry about, but it is a bad idea to post those pictures of parties. This is stuff parents should concern themselves with. Feds have shown up at people's houses for saying things over video games, and kids are being charged for harassing other kids that committed suicide. Guess the worst part there is the potential for being involved in someone's suicide...

The tor stuff. It's one of those things where if people REALLY took issue with the NSA and whatever, the tools are there for them to use. If we were going to protest the data mining in earnest we would all use the stuff, and that would make selecting targets that may be involved in criminal activity that much harder to find. But we're lazy, and because it doesn't affect us on a personal level we don't really care. It's sort of unfortunate, because much of that criminal activity is circumventing censorship laws and the efforts to discover weaknesses in encryption/privacy services have worldwide ramifications.

Comment

• I'm not so sure how funny this is but my husband overheard his students discussing Senior Projects, one teacher is giving credit for not eating any animal products for the rest of the school year. Apparently he does this every year.
                  Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                    I'm not so sure how funny this is but my husband overheard his students discussing Senior Projects, one teacher is giving credit for not eating any animal products for the rest of the school year. Apparently he does this every year.
                    How does he verify that a student has actually done that, though?
                    Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
                      My parents would have 100% signed off on something saying that I kept a vegetarian diet even though I 100% would not actually do so. They would have found that assignment idiotic.
                      No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
                      -Maimonodies

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.

Babes with BBQ

Comment

Moob development and increased emotional distress?

Typed one handed while steering a dragon
                        My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Who knows? Students probably find some way around the assignment, like they do with everything else in that coercive environment.
                          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Former coworker used to go to Dunkin' Donuts and order about 3 glazed donuts and a diet soda...........
                            You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainer View Post
                              Former coworker used to go to Dunkin' Donuts and order about 3 glazed donuts and a diet soda...........
                              To be fair, I used to do that. It was because I found regular soda cloyingly sweet... I liked the sourish bite of diet coke. Only diet coke, though, not pepsi.

...Now I want a diet coke. Shit.
                              Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                                I'm not so sure how funny this is but my husband overheard his students discussing Senior Projects, one teacher is giving credit for not eating any animal products for the rest of the school year. Apparently he does this every year.
                                We need a new thread called Sad CW Moments. Although, almost every funny moment pretty much qualifies.

Comment

Working...
                                X