Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Reading "New Scientist" today this article caught my eye:
    Sign in to read: Don't have a cow: Making milk without the moo - opinion - 30 June 2014 - New Scientist

    After explaining that he is working to synthesis real animal mikl, not just make a look-alike with nuts or soy, he basically explains how the milk protiens are fairly simple and can by synthesised by DNA- modified yeast cells:

    ...then the cells' internal machinery starts churning out the protiens, a lot like brewing beer.

    Of course, tasty milk isn't complete without fats. Luckily, dairy scientists have already developed a method for combining healthy, plant-based oils with small, aromatic fatty acids - the same ones that give fresh cream its full, rich flavour.

    And that's about it - once you combine everything with clean water in the right ratios, adding pinches of sugar and minerals as needed to get the taste right...
    ...Because we are crafting animal-free milk from the bottom up we can choose what goes into it, and what stays out. We'll leave out Lactose, which some 75 per cent of adults on Earth can't digest. We will also omit cholesterol, for a product that won't clog your arteries...

    Comment


    • I'm preg and am being subjected to many, many CW moments. Currently I don't feel too queasy so I'm trying to eat as primal as I can.

      The NHS website thoroughly enraged me with its sh*te advice for diet in pregnancy. I guess I should have known. Yep, lean meat and low fat dairy in case you gain weight. Whole grains ought to be a staple. Eat breakfast cereal! Saturates to be avoided cos of cholesterol. Ffs are we in the 70s?!?

      Anyway I ate five tablespoons of butter after that.

      What angers me is that the emphasis should be on whole foods and avoiding processed foods. Not on weight gain but on nutrients. Am pretty sure some of these huge companies pedalling processed foods are giving to the government.

      Did any other previously pregnant MDA-ers have a similar experience?

      Comment


      • In line at the store today, I saw a magazine that that was labeled the "Beat Diabetes" issue. Right under those words was a picture of a big fat piece of cheesecake with syrupy cherries on top. I wept.

        Comment


        • Cakes are always involved in cancer fundraising too.

          People here (UK) think obesity causes diabetes so you should eat a low fat diet to prevent obesity and diabetes. Sugar gets off scott free. My FIL is only allowed three eggs a week cos of the fat. FFS.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Polecatz View Post
            Cakes are always involved in cancer fundraising too.
            This is far from funny... I keep seeing friends' Facebook posts about cancer and eating ice cream/cake to make them (or their relative/friend) feel better... I just want to scream at them: SUGAR FEEDS CANCER!!!! :-(

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Polecatz View Post
              Cakes are always involved in cancer fundraising too.

              People here (UK) think obesity causes diabetes so you should eat a low fat diet to prevent obesity and diabetes. Sugar gets off scott free. My FIL is only allowed three eggs a week cos of the fat. FFS.
              I would hate to be restricted to three eggs a day!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by fifer View Post
                I would hate to be restricted to three eggs a day!
                Three eggs a day is exactly what I eat, normally. Sometimes as many as five.
                Out of context quote for the day:

                Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

                Comment


                • My work colleagues just bought a motion activated jelly bean dispenser for the office, which they activate several times a day, but rave about how they have cut down on sugar in their coffees.
                  "I reserve the right to say stupid things"

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Badgerfaced View Post
                    My work colleagues just bought a motion activated jelly bean dispenser for the office, which they activate several times a day, but rave about how they have cut down on sugar in their coffees.
                    :-) My father-in-law was talking about not adding any sugar to his coffee. But he was using one of those flavored coffee creamer product things that has plenty of sugar in it. In his defense, I think he has cut back on sweets overall. And he doesn't drink coffee all that often anyway.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                      ...But he was using one of those flavored coffee creamer product things that has plenty of sugar in it...
                      If he's new to cutting back on sugar he probably hasn't realized how often sugar is added to just about everything. Might have to suggest he look at the labels for the sugar content plus the serving size to get an idea how much sugar is really in it.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by WaylandC View Post
                        If he's new to cutting back on sugar he probably hasn't realized how often sugar is added to just about everything. Might have to suggest he look at the labels for the sugar content plus the serving size to get an idea how much sugar is really in it.
                        People who aren't accustomed to reading labels would need a long list of food ingredients that are actually sugar.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                          People who aren't accustomed to reading labels would need a long list of food ingredients that are actually sugar.
                          Yeah, my dad bought a bottle of papaya juice at the store, he walks up with a glass and asks, "Want a swig?" "No thanks, I already read the ingredients." He laughed, "I bet you did." I am slowly bringing him around. It's hard, he is a die hard Mt. Dew drinker.
                          You are an animal on this planet and the rules of engagement are non negotiable.

                          Comment


                          • Cutting out sugar? It's hard enough to find things with *actual sugar* in them nowadays. On the rare occasion I buy a premade sweet product, I would take real cane sugar over corn syrup or aspartame any day.
                            Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

                            Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
                            Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
                            Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
                            F/23/5'9"

                            26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by kathleen View Post
                              I would take real cane sugar over corn syrup or aspartame any day.
                              Made this choice today as well.

                              Comment


                              • Depending on what you're looking for, reading labels can be fairly easy. If you're just looking for sugars, they're usually listed as a subset below total carbs.

                                What people really need to pay attention to is the portion size. I've bought olives where the portion size was three olives. Which is fine if I'm only garnishing a dirty martini, but pretty useless otherwise.
                                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                                B*tch-lite

                                Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X