No announcement yet.

Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i caught up with a friend over the weekend and she said she had made me paleo treats for lunch. Quite excited, as we arrive I wander into the kitchen where she is pulling a loaf of bread out the oven. Dont worry she says, its gluten free.

Love her, but hasnt listened to a word I've said.
    "I reserve the right to say stupid things"

Comment

• It seems like she has listened to some extent if she bothered to make gluten free bread for you.

Are you following a very low carb diet? I can see how that could be problematic, but I wonder if this shouldn't be one for the win column instead.

Comment

• So I watch a lot of Netflix, and a suggestion kept coming up, a reality show called "Ruby" about a 400-lb woman with a lot of personality and her attempts at weight loss. I eventually watched it.

I really wanted to like the show, and I definitely liked Ruby (the person), but the methods they chose to use to help her lose weight made me cringe. Her doctor put her on a diet consisting of Weight-Watcher's style frozen dinners and she wasn't allowed to deviate from that AT ALL. Like, if she went to a restaurant with her friends, she had to bring along one and have them heat it up for her. There was no effort to teach her how to make her own food, what's heathy and what isn't, just: "Here, eat this because we said so". By the end of Season 3, she was making her own food, but was heavily relying on "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"--she was literally unscrewing the spray top and pouring it into her cooking, believing she could eat all she wanted of it because it wasn't really butter and was therefor healthy.

And so much of the show was about how much she was suffering through cravings and such, and hitting plateau after plateau--it was kind of depressing. I kept yelling at the screen: "Just ditch the processed food and sugar! You don't have to freakin' suffer, especially since it's not working anyway!"

In the end, she went from 400 lbs to 300 lbs, and had a hit a lot of other goals along the way, but it's hard not to think of how much better she would have done if she'd gone the paleo (or even semi-paleo) route.
        My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
        (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
        Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
        (Red Dwarf)

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyborcat View Post

And so much of the show was about how much she was suffering through cravings and such, and hitting plateau after plateau--it was kind of depressing. I kept yelling at the screen: "Just ditch the processed food and sugar! You don't have to freakin' suffer, especially since it's not working anyway!"

In the end, she went from 400 lbs to 300 lbs, and had a hit a lot of other goals along the way, but it's hard not to think of how much better she would have done if she'd gone the paleo (or even semi-paleo) route.
          I've heard a funny show but I have been putting it off because I know I'll have a similar reaction to it. I hate watching tv when they talk about weight loss. It's just more CW and making people miserable throught bad food and self loathing.

I had a coworker who was a huge fan of Biggest Loser and she would go on and on about how great it was that the were finally getting their lives in order and living better. It makes me so mad.

Sent from....right behind you....
          You are an animal on this planet and the rules of engagement are non negotiable.

Comment

• This fat thing keeps coming up in my studies. My healthcare ethics book says:

To give safe and effective care, you must be physically and mentally healthy. Otherwise you cannot function at your best.

Diet
            You need a balanced diet. Start your day with a good breakfast. To maintain your weight, balance the calories you take in with your energy needs. To lose weight, take in fewer calories than your energy needs. Avoid foods high in fat, oil, and sugar. Also avoid salty foods and "crash" diets.
            Wonder what nutrition course will be like. Those classes must drive y'all insane lol.
            Music of the day/week/month/whatever:

K.A.A.N. - L.T.N. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWocmse1Ef4

Comment

• I'm in Starbucks studying for college final exams, and a reasonably fit guy and his girlfriend just came in. When the barista asks what they want, he says he'll go for a "Sweet N'Low Frappuccino with sugar-free syrup and whip" because "his girlfriend is watching out for [his] health." I swear my eyes rolled to the back of my head.

Seriously, a saccharin-sweetened cup of grossness, with sugar-free nasties to boot? If he was really watching out for his health, he wouldn't have to compromise taste. I swear on heavy cream lattes (which are out of this world, btw) on the off occasion I need something with a little more oomph than black coffee.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nellodee View Post
                This fat thing keeps coming up in my studies. My healthcare ethics book says:

Wonder what nutrition course will be like. Those classes must drive y'all insane lol.
                I personally would have read it as foods that had all three (fats, oils, and sugar).

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Comment

• So, we went to a diner for breakfast. My hubby can't eat dairy products including butter...the server said everything was cooked in butter. The manager came over and said they could prepare his with olive oil. Awesome...my hubby gets olive oil, and I get butter.

Eventually the server came over and said they actually used "butter flavored soybean oil," in case DH might want that craptastic foodlike substance. So he got olive oil, and I got the crap. When will I learn, few restaurants use actual butter to cook with any more. Ackkk!
                  Late 50s, post-menopausal, low carb with some dairy, following the 5 Leptin Rules, taking ThyroGold, eating lots o' fiber and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

Comment

• This is just a rant: I am a speech therapist and started work at a skilled nursing facility. My first day was yesterday and I work my Vibrams which I wear at the public schools and in home health care where I also work. At the end of my time I was very nicely told to wear different shoes. It just wasn't professional. But I could wear sneakers. Because obviously those are more professional!

My poor feet today felt like they were lumps just stuck in my shoes. I never realized how good it felt to actually move my feet and use them the way they were created to be used!
                    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
                    height 5'3
                    SW 215 lbs
                    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
                    LW 172 lbs
                    GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• @valmason01; try ballerina flats. Like, the ones from an actual dance store. They are essentially just leather socks, I get full movement of my feet a la barefoot or five finger shoes--but they look like conventional flats!
                      Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
                      Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
                      Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
                      F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by valmason01 View Post
                        This is just a rant: I am a speech therapist and started work at a skilled nursing facility. My first day was yesterday and I work my Vibrams which I wear at the public schools and in home health care where I also work. At the end of my time I was very nicely told to wear different shoes. It just wasn't professional. But I could wear sneakers. Because obviously those are more professional!

My poor feet today felt like they were lumps just stuck in my shoes. I never realized how good it felt to actually move my feet and use them the way they were created to be used!
                        Soft Star shoes hand-makes some nice looking, leather, minimalist shoes. I have a pair of the Merry Janes, and love them! Home Page | Soft Star Shoes

Here's some of their shoes. You can customize the colors, too.

adult-merry-jane-shiny-silver-shoe.jpgadult-solstice-sandal-green-shoes.jpgadult-ballet-flat-blue-green-shoe_2.jpgadult-dash-runamoc-grounding-brown-red-shoe.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by valmason01 View Post
                          I never realized how good it felt to actually move my feet and use them the way they were created to be used!
                          Get a doctor's note or something. Seriously...what are they going to say? Don't do what your doctor tells you to do!

Comment

• I used to use cat litter made from wheat, and one day my grandmother asked what kind of litter I used. When I told her it was wheat, she looked at me horrified, and (seriously) asked me if we could somehow wash it off and use it for baking after.

Comment

• reminds of of an ex from years ago who asked why I kept buying tampons, as 'can't you just wash them out and re-use them??"
                              "I reserve the right to say stupid things"

Comment

• Originally posted by lotusberries View Post
                                I used to use cat litter made from wheat, and one day my grandmother asked what kind of litter I used. When I told her it was wheat, she looked at me horrified, and (seriously) asked me if we could somehow wash it off and use it for baking after.
                                Those that didn't live through the depression, just don't know.
                                Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                                5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                                Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                                TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                                bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Working...
                                X