Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Liquid Gusto View Post
    A moment of hope...

The cashier checking me out says, "Wow, you sure do buy a lot of produce... and nothing is packaged. You must be quite the cook!"

I told her I enjoy cooking. (No need to preach)

She says, "Well, looking at the food you buy, I understand why you look like you and I look like me. I need to cut out the junk those companies package up!"

I laughed and said thanks and that if she wants to feel great, learning about eating whole foods is definitely a good place to start.

I actually find myself getting interviewed on my purchases by cashiers fairly often (maybe a few times a month). Anyone else?
    I get asked by other mothers in the chasiers que about the amount of fruit and veg I buy.
    How do I get them to eat it?
    Well they have never had much of a choice.
    Most of the time I get shocked looks when I say it won't last the week.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Haha yes, I get those all the time. I have failed as a shopper if I don't get the cashier to look up at least one code.

I've been asked how to eat lamb.

I've been asked what are leeks, parsnips, cucumbers, squash, bison, plantains, and parsley.

I've been mistaken for a vegetarian, WHILE BUYING BACON.

People comment on the shear volume of food I buy, but I don't know if it registers that, yes, I go through that in a week and, no, I still struggle to eat enough.

Comment

• NOt really a CW funny, but: For our daughters birthday we put on a whole bunch of 'junk' foods, including chips and dip, cocktail sausages, sliced carrot/celery, hummus, babaganoush, jelly snakes, pebbles, and fairy bread (white bread with butter and 'hundreds and thousands' on them).

One of the girls there looked at the food and announced that it was 'mostly junk'. I agreed with her, and then she carefully selected a piece of fairy bread.....
        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Originally posted by Liquid Gusto View Post
          I actually find myself getting interviewed on my purchases by cashiers fairly often (maybe a few times a month). Anyone else?
          Cashier asked me if I was making something big and I told her that was how I cooked, no packaging and all whole foods. I told I had dropped all sugar and processing, had lost 45 lbs and felt much better and all my inflammation had gone.

She said she probably needed to start eating like that...
          The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
          Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
          Pope John Paul II

Comment

• My 'cashier moment' was one who couldn't recognise a turnip. Exotic vegetable, apparently.

Comment

• Don't have a cashier story, but often I get looks from ppl when I put my groceries on the belt. Usually it is from ppl who just loaded their frozen packages, cans of spaghetti, soda and tube meats on the belt in front or behind mine. I will actually get disgusted looks from them like I am trying to make them look bad.
              44 F 5'5
              SW 205.4
              CW 180.4
              GW 150

Comment

• Instead of buying a can of coconut milk at the time, I usually just buy 10 to 12 cans and buy again when I get down to 1 or 2 cans. Invariably I am asked if I am going to make pound cakes accompanied with a smile and nod. When I answer with "No, I put coconut milk in my coffee" the odd and confused look appears and then silence.

Comment

• On a positive cashier note, our local Whole Foods actually has a Paleo section, sells the Paleo Magazine and half the cashiers follow a Paleo style diet. Hanging out at the meat and butcher section is a great way to meet other Paleo eaters - they have a great selection of pastured, grass fed meats and a good source of local liver. Now the local Safeway is another story!
                  Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

• Every once in awhile, usually after something big with my braces, I wish I could go back to eating out of the freezer.
                    Yep, I was one of those people though the look you would have gotten from me was a look of longing!!
                    I've never been much of a cook which I think now is paying off because I'll just throw stuff together that sounds like it might be good...sometimes it's a win
                    Barb - Portland, Oregon

"Everything is as it should be given what has gone before. This is not an excuse but it is a reason"
                    ~ Dr G & Barb ~

Comment

• Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
                      On a positive cashier note, our local Whole Foods actually has a Paleo section, sells the Paleo Magazine and half the cashiers follow a Paleo style diet. Hanging out at the meat and butcher section is a great way to meet other Paleo eaters - they have a great selection of pastured, grass fed meats and a good source of local liver. Now the local Safeway is another story!
                      Wow - that's pretty awesome!

I actually only started Paleo just short of a week ago, and on my first day I already had one friend tell me that carbs are the only food group that gives you "real" energy; she insisted that if I went without carbs for about a year I would fall into a coma and die soon after.
                      Right then.

Originally posted by Hilary View Post
                      My 'cashier moment' was one who couldn't recognise a turnip. Exotic vegetable, apparently.
                      That reminds me of what happened in my Science class today. Various nuts and seeds were passed around the class in little containers and we had to write down what they were. Not a single person on my table recognised any of the things we looked at. This included walnuts, hazelnuts, peanuts, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds.
                      This is a GCSE Year 10 Science class, and people do not know what a walnut looks like.

In a day or two we'll be looking at saturated fats; I'm not sure if it's even worth saying anything regarding the inevitable CW that our class will be brainwashed with.

Comment

• Really, Blippety? That's shocking!

It reminds me of the (possibly apocryphal) story of the Second World War evacuees who found a pile of discarded milk bottles in the corner of a field and exclaimed 'Look, I've found a cow's nest!'

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Comment

• Is it any wonder so many people nowadays think that white flour is not made from wheat? I think their has been a deliberate disinformation campaign to make people ignorant of the nature of food preparation and processing and keep them good little consumers of manufactured food products.

My all-time favorite "cashier moment" was when the cashier picked up a packet of collard seeds and said, "You eat THAT?"

Comment

• I don't buy much produce these days, but I did have a cashier give a confused look at one thing I bought awhile back, then looked at me.

I went: "It's spaghetti squash."

Then my husband teased me about eating weird things that no one recognizes. It was funny.

In fact, I think that happened a few times when I bought spaghetti squash.
                            My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
                            (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
                            Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
                            (Red Dwarf)

Comment

• Has anyone else seen McDonald's' "Free Fruit Fridays" that they've started doing in the UK?
                              They're giving kids free fruit with their Happy Meals on the first Friday of every month to "help them get their 5-a-day".

McDonalds are trying to promote healthy eating.

I lol'd.

Comment

• Blippety, here in the US, McDonalds changed their Happy Meals awhile back. Now, they include a smaller sized portion of fries and apple slices instead of the previous larger-sized fries.

Still, seems funny, as the burger/nuggets and fries are awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X