• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got unfriended on Facebook
    Because I said dim sims & party pies was not a healthy dinner -_-

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

• Originally posted by CaveBug View Post
      My best friend loves her dogs and has them on a raw food diet. They are beautiful dogs and eat better than she does. Everything is "no grain, where would a dog get grain in the wild etc" they get cod liver oil, organ meats, and whole prey. I wished I lived that good. And what goes on her food? Canola oil and so much crap.

The level of cognitive dissonance blows my mind, constantly. If a dog can't get seed oil in the wild, how would a human get it?!
      Well, y'know, opposable thumbs, stone age factories. Maybe she's watched too much Flintstones?

I've actually recently made the leap the other way -- I've been primal 3 years, 3 months, and a few years ago I did take my dog off ordinary kibble in exchange for grain-free kibble. I kept that up (not particularly cheap) even when I lost my job and was only really breaking even financially by consulting and teaching a few grad school classes. Thought I was doing the right thing.

Got a new job and moved. Took Bootsie to the new vet, who said she could lose some weight -- I know, but I already felt like I was feeding her mere handfuls of food and she seemed to be always hungry... The vet said, "Well, dogs are like humans. As they get older their metabolism slows down and you just have to feed them less."

LIGHT BULB. Felt like an idiot. I *know* that's not true for people, so my default has to be that it's not true for dogs. It's not that she's "getting older", it's that the damages of an inappropriate diet are gradually building up and causing her grief. Even though I'm not feeding her a bunch of corn, chemicals, and indigestible filler, wolves don't eat (much) salmon and certainly don't dig up sweet potatoes.

I did a little reading, thanked God people have moved beyond the hyper complex and exorbitantly expensive BARF to the common sense prey model, and bought a bunch of chicken thighs on sale the next day on the way home from work to get started. Man, does she love mealtimes now. Still working on exactly the right balance but I can only say for your friend, maybe the epiphany will come to her one of these days.
      "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
      "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
      If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

• Originally posted by PrimalMama View Post
        Two words: vegan schwarma
        Whyyyyyyy!? (Seen at maoz vegetarian - sometimes a falafel salad really hits the [80/20] spot)

Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
        Hello, I'd rather have a purée of question marks than a delicious tradition that happens to be meatless already.

I'm guessing you meant the salad, because schwarmas are laden with delicious lamb stripped off the carcass on a skewer over flame or charcoal. If they didn't add all that other pointless junk (and wrap it in bread) I'd want one right now.
        "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.

Comment

• Originally posted by beachrat View Post
          I did a little reading, thanked God people have moved beyond the hyper complex and exorbitantly expensive BARF to the common sense prey model, and bought a bunch of chicken thighs on sale the next day on the way home from work to get started. Man, does she love mealtimes now. Still working on exactly the right balance but I can only say for your friend, maybe the epiphany will come to her one of these days.
          I would love to be able to do that for the cats, unfortunately they have more specific needs that muscle meat just doesn't have- they need higher levels of taurine and some other stuff, IIRC. I've thought about ordering some baby frozen mice as an occasional treat, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think the wife would not appreciate them defrosting in the fridge.

Comment

I'm guessing you meant the salad, because schwarmas are laden with delicious lamb stripped off the carcass on a skewer over flame or charcoal. If they didn't add all that other pointless junk (and wrap it in bread) I'd want one right now.
            Vegan shawarma though? No. Just no.
            Falafel? Sure, part of my 20%.
            Regular shawarma? Absolutely! (but don't kid yourself, it usually has some wheat in it as a binder)

Comment

, it usually has some wheat in it as a binder)
              bubble popped
              Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

I meant the "vegan" part.

Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
                bubble popped
                I knowwwwwww. Sad times. I don't tolerate wheat pretty much at all, so now I don't trust even the good shops which might not use filler just in case. Ggg after this "Whole28" is over I'm making pulled lamb an tzatziki.
                Last edited by RittenRemedy; 01-30-2014, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
                  I don't tolerate wheat pretty much at all, so now I don't trust even the good shops which might not use filler just in case. Ggg after this "Whole28" is over I'm making pulled lamb an tzatziki.
                  sorry to burst the bubble!

You can usually get something at kebab shops that's just sliced lamb or sliced beef... but the stuff they slice off a vertical spit? yeah, it usually has a filler (but you can also ask if/what it has - my experience is the guys running the place are usually happy you're interested in their food).

Comment

sorry to burst the bubble!

You can usually get something at kebab shops that's just sliced lamb or sliced beef... but the stuff they slice off a vertical spit? yeah, it usually has a filler (but you can also ask if/what it has - my experience is the guys running the place are usually happy you're interested in their food).
                    I know ggg. It's not a real part of the traditional strips of meat and fat on a stick (god I'm hungry now, been experimenting with too many eggs and not enough fat), but I avoid anything ground or that looks unwhole anymore. Too much room for shady additives. I've seen expensive salamis with breadcrumbs in them and that was it for me.

Comment

• I tried to tell a co-worker today that animal fat is healthy.

"Eh, I don't really like animal fat" she says as she munches on pork rinds =P
                      My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
                      (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
                      Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
                      (Red Dwarf)

Comment

• This add made me laugh today:
                        kispyc.jpg

Or heres the link:
                        Back On Pointe: Photo

I guess I can die happy now. I've eaten at least one Krispy Kreme in my life
                        "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.” -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

Comment

• Originally posted by eig View Post
                          This add made me laugh today:
                          [ATTACH]15398[/ATTACH]

Or heres the link:
                          Back On Pointe: Photo

I guess I can die happy now. I've eaten at least one Krispy Kreme in my life
                          Win.

What about this?

Healthy Choices at Buffalo Wild Wings: Self.com

Yeah, how to not cheat on your "diet" at BWW.
                          "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Drumroll View Post

Low fat dressing? Nooooooooo! Nobody should consume low fat dressing. Ever.

BWW isn't so bad, actually... They use lard or suet for frying, iirc... But that's a cw/veg horror. ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
                              I would love to be able to do that for the cats, unfortunately they have more specific needs that muscle meat just doesn't have- they need higher levels of taurine and some other stuff, IIRC. I've thought about ordering some baby frozen mice as an occasional treat, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think the wife would not appreciate them defrosting in the fridge.
                              I don't have cats at the moment, but there are plenty of people who raw feed their cats -- I am guessing that they have to be more particular about getting the right kinds of organs and in the right proportions than us dog people, but it doesn't seem to be impossible. And since we're all already buying weird animal parts, it just seems like a no-brainer to add in weird shopping for the other members of my household.

Here's a link to the rawfeeding yahoo group that has tons and tons of info:
                              Yahoo Groups

And here's one just for cats! Yahoo Groups

Other pages they recommend:
                              Jane Anderson's Raw Learning Site
                              The Many Myths of Raw Feeding

I think they have stuff on facebook too, including resources, files, lists, guides, etc.

Good luck -- cats are little killing monsters, so prey diet *has* to be better for them, seems to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drumroll View Post
                                Win.

What about this?

Haha! Don't eat the salad, it has too much FAT!
                                "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.” -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

Comment

Working...
                                X