Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Liquid Gusto View Post
    Knowing after 70 years of baking, and at the end of his time, I'm not going to help things by enlightening him on paleo eating, I went out an got organic ingredients and made him homemade honey wheat bread and home-churned butter. As soon as it was done, I drove straight to the hospital and took it to him. I couldn't eat it (celiac). He can't eat much, but after the first bite, he closed his eyes, and said "Mmmmm, that's bread." It warmed my heart to see him have the comfort of warm, lovingly made bread. I told him how I got all organic ingredients and such and asked for tips for next time. He was enthusiastic about how important eating close the the source and food without "stuff" in/on it is.

Back when I wasn't eating meat, he'd tell me it wasn't a good idea. I told him I took a good iron supplement and he said "That's not the same at all honey, all that will do for you is give you rusty pee." :P
    Aawww!

Sent from....right behind you....
    You are an animal on this planet and the rules of engagement are non negotiable.

Comment

• Originally posted by CaveBug View Post
      Wait, what!?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyborcat View Post
        He sounds awesome ^.^
        Thank you, he really is amazing.

His roommate recently complained, stating my grandpas side of the room is in a constant state of party with all of the people! I don't blame the guy for wanting quiet and it can't be easy rooming with a celebrity. 😛 Hoping grandpa gets picked for a single room soon!

Comment

Not exactly funny, but I felt this was a good place for this little story about the power of real food. I'm sorry it's long, but it is about a very special guy.

My grandpa is 90 and was a baker from ages 15-88. He was always the elderly person people ask "what's your secret?" He'd always say "stay away from old people" hence why I hung out with him at least 10 hours a week growing up.

Anyways... he has become quite ill (congestive heart failure). I was visiting him at the hospital, and he lamented, "Now the food they give sick people isn't even real food, you don't know what is in it. Food used to be made fresh each day." It really struck me how correct he is in this observation. It also struck me how awful it must be to have been a baker for 70 years then be given mass-produced bread, especially at a time where good bread could be a comfort.

Knowing after 70 years of baking, and at the end of his time, I'm not going to help things by enlightening him on paleo eating, I went out an got organic ingredients and made him homemade honey wheat bread and home-churned butter. As soon as it was done, I drove straight to the hospital and took it to him. I couldn't eat it (celiac). He can't eat much, but after the first bite, he closed his eyes, and said "Mmmmm, that's bread." It warmed my heart to see him have the comfort of warm, lovingly made bread. I told him how I got all organic ingredients and such and asked for tips for next time. He was enthusiastic about how important eating close the the source and food without "stuff" in/on it is.

Back when I wasn't eating meat, he'd tell me it wasn't a good idea. I told him I took a good iron supplement and he said "That's not the same at all honey, all that will do for you is give you rusty pee." :P

That is such a sweet story. My was pretty bad off last year, and on a feeding tube. He wanted potato salad and pumpkin pie. It broke my heart because he could not have any. He is better now, so I made his favorite mince meat pie at thanksgiving. He was in HEAVEN enjoying that meal.

I get all sorts of annoyed when I read about people being brats about their parents/grandparents and food.... You never know how long you will have them. Don't let it drive a wedge.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• My best friend loves her dogs and has them on a raw food diet. They are beautiful dogs and eat better than she does. Everything is "no grain, where would a dog get grain in the wild etc" they get cod liver oil, organ meats, and whole prey. I wished I lived that good. And what goes on her food? Canola oil and so much crap.

The level of cognitive dissonance blows my mind, constantly. If a dog can't get seed oil in the wild, how would a human get it?! She knows about paleo but for some reason can't make that leap. I hate seeing people you love kill themselves over butter or coconut oil not being "healthy".

You are an animal on this planet and the rules of engagement are non negotiable.

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
              That is such a sweet story. My was pretty bad off last year, and on a feeding tube. He wanted potato salad and pumpkin pie. It broke my heart because he could not have any. He is better now, so I made his favorite mince meat pie at thanksgiving. He was in HEAVEN enjoying that meal.

I get all sorts of annoyed when I read .
              I am happy to hear he is doing better. I can tell you know exactly how I felt seeing my grandpa enjoy the bread. It may have made me even happier than it made him!

I agree on not letting it drive a wedge. Unless they ask/are interested, let them be -- especially the grandparents! Plus, I figure my grandpa is 90 and drove and maintained his home up until a few months ago... He's doesn't need my dietary advice.

Comment

• I love to go to foodgawker.com and browse the beautiful recipes and look for ones I can adapt or that are already glutenfree/paleo/primal.... I'm currently looking up recipes that use greek yogurt and ALMOST every single recipes blurb says "lightened up" or "more healthy than sour cream and butter and cream and all that fat" or "essentially fat free!". I can't stop shaking my head.

Of course if I make any recipes that say that, I switch everything out for full fat, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kwaggz View Post
                  I love to go to foodgawker.com and browse the beautiful recipes and look for ones I can adapt or that are already glutenfree/paleo/primal.... I'm currently looking up recipes that use greek yogurt and ALMOST every single recipes blurb says "lightened up" or "more healthy than sour cream and butter and cream and all that fat" or "essentially fat free!". I can't stop shaking my head.
                  I feel the same way! Also, when people claim, "Oh, this version is so much healthier you just won't believe it!" then use ingredients with all sorts of chemicals and additives. I never say "healthy" anymore because it means different things to different people.

Comment

• My boss, who studied food technology (!) so really should be an expert, put a pack of crackers on my desk. On the front of the pack it said "organic crackers with spelt and wheat, covered in chocolate". She knows I am gluten free.
                    Her: "Hey I brought you these, you might like them".
                    Me: "I can't eat those, they contain gluten".
                    Her: "But it is made with spelt, you can't even have that?"
                    Me: What? Imaginary facepalm...

Comment

This is so sweet and made me actually laugh out loud!
                      No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
                      -Maimonodies

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.

Babes with BBQ

Comment

• Originally posted by ELizabeth826 View Post
                        This is so sweet and made me actually laugh out loud!
                        Thanks for telling me about the genuine LOL! He's one of a kind -- can't believe he's so ill.

Comment

• A friend of mine yesterday thought that white flour had yeast in it. *facepalm*
                          Her naturopath recommended a yeast free diet, which also excludes white flour products, and she thought it was bc white flour had yeast in it. Yikes.
                          Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
                          34yrs old, 5'5"
                          CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
                          GW: 135lbs or less
                          Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

Comment

• Waiting at the doctor's office to make sure I didn't react to an antibiotic (ugh) shot - they basically assigned a someone to watch me, so I was in her office...

She pulls out a bag of Lay's and a diet Pepsi, and nearly INSISTS that I eat the potato chips, saying "c'mon, you're pregnant, you have to make sure you eat! You've gotta feed the baby!" (I refused and tried really hard not to roll my eyes or bang my head against something)
                            Then she says something about how she trying to make up for the unhealthiness of the potato chips by having a DIET soda. I just smiled and nodded because I all I wanted to do was get OUT of there!

I REALLY don't understand why people think pregnancy is not just an excuse to eat unlimited quantities of whatever you want, but also that somehow you NEED absolute junk food. *sigh*

Comment

• I had some friends visit me last summer. I have celiacs disease and we got into a discussion about it, the girl staying with us said she too had a gluten allergy, one of the days grew late so everyone stopped to get pizza, I ordered a chicken salad and she ordered a large pizza for herself. I said "Hey aren't you allergic?" she then replied "I am sometimes!"

-Nú mun hon søkkvask.

http://www.instagram.com/old_hag

Comment

• Originally posted by Uggla View Post
                                I had some friends visit me last summer. I have celiacs disease and we got into a discussion about it, the girl staying with us said she too had a gluten allergy, one of the days grew late so everyone stopped to get pizza, I ordered a chicken salad and she ordered a large pizza for herself. I said "Hey aren't you allergic?" she then replied "I am sometimes!"

Only when it doesn't look/smell good, right? I have a friend who "quit drinking" except for Thurs-Sat nights....

Edit: Not that drinking is bad. Or good. I'm drinking-Switzerland. I was pointing out the "Oh I don't/can't do that" until it's too tempting mentality.
                                You have to fall in love with the process of becoming great.

Comment

Working...
                                X