No announcement yet.

Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a super funny thing, but my parents just don't seem to get it.

When visiting my mom, I kept needing to explain my allergies (specifically wheat and soy). She would ask things like "wait, can you eat pasta?" or "I have some breaded fish sticks. Wait, that's wheat?" or she would hand me a ice cream bar and I would ask what the ingredients were, and she would respond "It's chocolate, not soy." (of course pretty much all mass produced chocolate anything has soy and/or wheat in it).

Then my dad. He travels a lot, and he always brings me home chocolate. I started getting specific, and said 'make sure it has no soy or nuts in it!' So what does he do? He comes home with hazelnut dark chocolate. I guess he thought that because it wasn't milk chocolate, that it didn't have soy, because they sometimes use soy milk in milk chocolate (I don't understand the logic either), and completely bunked on the hazelnut thing because it was a nut paste, no actual physically whole nuts were visible. Like, it's an allergy thing, not a matter of preference on texture and taste. Why can't he read the ingredients? In this particular case they were in German, but below them they were printed in additional languages (including English) as per the norm in European packaging.

At least I have my boyfriend to dump this junk on to avoid being offensive to my parents. But seriously, how do you explain to older people that grew up eating crap all their lives, that you are allergic to said crap, and said crap is in *everything*? (without offending them, if possible).
    Last edited by kathleen; 01-09-2014, 12:17 PM.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

• I was talking to my boss about race fueling (he runs marathons, I stick with halfs for fun) and when I commented I don't excessively carb load and dont eat wheat he said that you shouldn't eat wheat at because its bad for your stomach and he avoids it. Mini mental celebration. Then he told me his best pre-race fuel was a grand slam at Denny's with pancakes, toast, an English muffin, and something else.

A little probing later, I realize he thinks white bread products are made from something besides wheat. I've seen this a lot on this thread but it never happened to me before! I just shook my head and backed away slowly
      Last edited by Refontai; 01-09-2014, 12:31 PM.
      You have to fall in love with the process of becoming great.

Comment

• At least I have my boyfriend to dump this junk on to avoid being offensive to my parents. But seriously, how do you explain to older people that grew up eating crap all their lives, that you are allergic to said crap, and said crap is in *everything*? (without offending them, if possible).
        Honestly, give it to friends and be happy your parents still have the means and capacity to try and do kind things for you. I would kill for my father to have been healthy enough in his later years to travel let alone bring me food gifts.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• So standing in line at Starbucks (I was under-caffeinated - don't judge) behind two young mothers. The second mother is feeding her 14 month old (yes, I got to overhear all about their kids' ages, sleeping habits etc) handfuls of chex mix while we wait. The first mother gets to the counter and says, "I'm being good today so a strawberry smoothie and some banana nut bread." Apparently 700 calories of strawberry syrup/ice and prepackaged banana bread is being good. The second mom ordered black coffee and then got her kid a piece of banana bread as well because a 14 month year old needs that on top of the 2-3 cups of chex mix she was eating as a snack.

It made me a little sad. I am all about occasional treats and all but wasting 700 calories on crappy Starbucks baked goods and smoothies with no real fruit evident is just not the way to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
            It made me a little sad. I am all about occasional treats and all but wasting 700 calories on crappy Starbucks baked goods and smoothies with no real fruit evident is just not the way to go.
            Doesn't it make you just want to fling Paleo/Primal books at everyone!? WAKE UP WORLD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kwaggz View Post
              Doesn't it make you just want to fling Paleo/Primal books at everyone!? WAKE UP WORLD.
              LOL It does. Don't get me wrong I definitely have some 80/20 days/weeks/months but if I am going to be eating something I know wont be 'good' for me at least I make sure it is well made with quality ingredients.

Comment

• I just like the phrase "under-caffeinated"--I may have to steal that =P
                My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
                (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
                Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
                (Red Dwarf)

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                  Makes me wonder... what are you genetically predisposed to eating/avoiding? Can you find those things and improve? That would be a cool experiment.
                  Lost in translation..

The high blood pressure runs in my family. I asked the doc if it would improve when I was at my goal weight and his response was even thin people have high blood pressure so, I don't know. BP is good though the better I eat.
                  Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Refontai View Post
                    A little probing later, I realize he thinks white bread products are made from something besides wheat. I've seen this a lot on this thread but it never happened to me before! I just shook my head and backed away slowly
                    My son and his fiancÚ came to visit over the holidays. As usual when family comes to visit, before they arrived, I asked if they had specific food preferences, explaining that we don't eat bread, pasta, etc. FiancÚ requested white bread, not wheat, so I bought a loaf for her.

Turns out she thinks she's allergic to wheat, as suggested by her doctor. Even after I gently explained to her that white bread is made from wheat, she still didn't get it. When we went out to eat, she made a point of asking what kind of bread they brought before the meal. If "wheat", she didn't eat it, but she did eat "white" bread and rolls.

She's an otherwise very intelligent person, and aside from "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" and the aforementioned "white not wheat" bread, she made relatively healthy eating choices.

I thought perhaps that the extra fiber in whole wheat bread was why she thought she had a wheat allergy, but I don't know if that's enough "extra" fiber to make a difference. She is supposed to go in to her doctor for a follow-up on this possible allergy, so maybe she'll get it straightened out then.

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                      Honestly, give it to friends and be happy your parents still have the means and capacity to try and do kind things for you. I would kill for my father to have been healthy enough in his later years to travel let alone bring me food gifts.
                      That's what I already do (accept, and regift, then lie when he asks me how I liked it). But in the case of visiting my parents, it is usually either I starve or have an allergic reaction. They just don't get that I am allergic to this stuff, and it's frustrating. They get offended when I have allergic reactions to their food and think there food is 'not good' or it was something else (like it couldn't possibly be their food, because chocolate doesn't have soy, mayo is eggs, couldn't have soy, etc. That maybe I'm allergic to the air or my skin is just dry.). Ugh.
                      Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
                      Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
                      Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
                      F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                        LOL It does. Don't get me wrong I definitely have some 80/20 days/weeks/months but if I am going to be eating something I know wont be 'good' for me at least I make sure it is well made with quality ingredients.
                        This so much. If I'm going to eat bread with my cheese, it's not going to be some HFCS laden "honky white bread" (what I called commercial sliced bread in my old hippie days). Give me something touched by human hands (wearing rubber gloves). If I'm going to eat pizza, it's going to be made by people whose names end in vowels who inherited the business from their parents (the inheritance thing isn't mandatory, and actually, Greeks make good pizza also, as does a man named Puck).

Also, this post is a good excuse to tell Canio that I love the Dave Barry quote.
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post

Turns out she thinks she's allergic to wheat, as suggested by her doctor. Even after I gently explained to her that white bread is made from wheat, she still didn't get it. When we went out to eat, she made a point of asking what kind of bread they brought before the meal. If "wheat", she didn't eat it, but she did eat "white" bread and rolls.
                          ... speechless and cringing

You have quite a bit of restraint for not explaining it to her until she understood. I think I would have said in a motherly tone, "Oh no honey, they told you white bread doesn't have wheat in it? Here, let me show you the label! We don't need you getting sick!"

Comment

• Originally posted by vikyb View Post
                            In hospital after having bub early sunday morning, and I'm brought breakfast in the birth suite. 2 midwives have already confirmed with me by this time that I am 'gluten free' (grain free was wayyyy too hard apparently)
                            Breakfast consisted of toast with condiments and weetbix with skim milk. I told the lady I was intolerant, and she picked up the milk with the apology 'I'm sorry, but I don't have any soy milk on the trolley. ..' WTF?
                            Explained it was wheat I couldn't have, so she picked up the toast with a vague murmur that they didn't have any gf toast, and to make sure my food preferences where on the system, as telling her face to face wasn't sufficient...
                            It's been in my notes since May...
                            What a joke. It's a hospital - you know, where people who supposedly know about medical conditions like gluten intolerance work. That breakfast was nutritionally barren anyway. Skimmed milk is pointless and I bet the condiments did not include butter...did you say you had a baby? Aw congratulations MAKE SURE TO AVOID FAT HERES SOME WHITE WATER aka skimmed milk

Comment

• The whole white vs. "wheat" bread happened to me a while back and I documented it here. I had to simply say to my older brother that white bread was just bleached and processed more. With that simple explanation it clicked for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kid Taco
                                That really reminds me of what my then-5/6 year old daughter said about meat one day at home.

"I'm glad we don't have to hunt animals for meat. Mom just makes meat."

She just figured my wife "made meat" when she prepared supper. Priceless.
                                Aw, that's cute! What did you guys say?

I had sautÚd tilapia on my plate, my stepdaughter-to-be had fish sticks. She asked what I was eating.

I said "fish"

She said, "Yuck! I don't like fish!" as she chomped into her breaded fish stick.

I laughed and said, "Oh, really? What is it you are eating?"

She looked at me like I am slow and said "... fish sticks... with ketchup.... and apple slices... red apples..." It was as if she was looking for the part of the meal I prepared I wasn't understanding. It didn't occur to her what I was getting at.

I just said "Oh, okay" and kept to myself. She eats such little protein, I'm not going to go ruining fish sticks for her!

Comment

Working...
                                X