No announcement yet.

Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic actually does lower blood pressure.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

• Not a CW moment but I was pleasantly surprised to see this in my local park about feeding the ducks bread:

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingPig View Post
        Not a CW moment but I was pleasantly surprised to see this in my local park about feeding the ducks bread:

Oh, we need to fix this so it says "Remember that humans live much longer when they eat foods growing naturally in their environment."
        Durp.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikyb View Post
          In hospital after having bub early sunday morning, and I'm brought breakfast in the birth suite. 2 midwives have already confirmed with me by this time that I am 'gluten free' (grain free was wayyyy too hard apparently)
          Breakfast consisted of toast with condiments and weetbix with skim milk. I told the lady I was intolerant, and she picked up the milk with the apology 'I'm sorry, but I don't have any soy milk on the trolley. ..' WTF?
          Explained it was wheat I couldn't have, so she picked up the toast with a vague murmur that they didn't have any gf toast, and to make sure my food preferences where on the system, as telling her face to face wasn't sufficient...
          It's been in my notes since May...
          A guy I know was in the hospital for something pretty serious, and it was right there on his chart that he was allergic to eggs. And yet they still tried to feed it to him several times. At one point early on, he was unable to speak, and all he could do was spit it out repeatedly until they stopped trying to shove it into his mouth.
          Durp.

Comment

• OMG!!!!
            I'm watching the telly right now and there is a news article on how it's not fat that makes you fat but bread! (So far so good).
            It's a good article aside from the fact that the man who is presenting it is fat and unhealthy himself

but the biggest point
            "We now think it's bread that make you fat, because it has lots of starches in it" I literally choked on my tea. and it continues. "We suspect that these starches influences the glucose level in your blood, and that, that is the reason why when lunching with bread you have a afternoon dip."
            (by now I am laughing out loud)
            It continues, "bread influences the blood sugar levels and studies have shown that people who had a stomach reduction surgery aren't craving a lot of food like bread anymore, but we still don't know exactly why?"

OMG!!! I still wonder how much they are paid by the pharmaceutical industry to appear so stupid on telly!!!
            My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Polecatz View Post
              Haha what a load of cw cr*p. I have low blood pressure to the point that doctors always comment on it. I add salt (the pink Celtic stuff) to every meal and always have and don't understand why it's feared. People I know who have kids seem to be terrified of their kids ingesting ANY salt. I'm talking to the point of being afraid of salted butter-not advocating covering kids food in salt. My opinion-it's probably partly genetic anyway.
              Wow. Yeah, I've always heavily salted my food and I've never had high blood pressure. My mom always thought I'd get it and freaked out every time I put a lot of salt on something, but my blood pressure has never been anything but totally normal.

Originally posted by Hannakb View Post
              Response #4. No statins are for cholesterol, you want a beta blocker for that.
              Originally posted by Candy in Wonderland View Post
              Garlic actually does lower blood pressure.
              Yah, my ignorance was showing in a couple of places--like I said above, I've never really had a problem with high blood pressure, so I didn't recall all the details.
              My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
              (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
              Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
              (Red Dwarf)

Comment

• I do have high blood pressure. My doc is paleo/primal friendly but still tells me to watch salt intake and has me on meds. Its genetic in my case.
                Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Some people with hypertension are salt sensitive, but it's not very common. Personally, I will liberally salt my home cooked food and it doesn't raise my blood pressure. Sodium on the other hand is a different story. Processed food makes my blood pressure go through the roof!

Comment

• Originally posted by baconator View Post
                    Some people with hypertension are salt sensitive, but it's not very common. Personally, I will liberally salt my home cooked food and it doesn't raise my blood pressure. Sodium on the other hand is a different story. Processed food makes my blood pressure go through the roof!
                    very good point. One reason I have had to stop eating out has to do with this very thing.
                    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• I have a friend, very health conscious, who uses only e.v. olive oil and butter as fats, they always get unsalted butter. When I expressed a preference for salted butter they complained about how unhealthy it was compared to unsalted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyborcat View Post
                        avoid salt (eh, not sure about the salt--isn't it false that it effects blood pressure?)
                        Yeah, salt does raise your blood pressure, so people with high BP should watch their salt intake (and only them). I never used to salt food when eating conventional foods (and used to lecture my parents about their salt intake), and my BP was 160/100. Now I liberally salt pretty much everything except bacon, and my BP is 110/80.

There is a LOT of hidden salt in processed food.
                        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Standing in line at a drugstore today behind a couple: she, snow-white haired hunched over - 80's perhaps; he very tall and younger - maybe son? 60's?
                          and they're buying a cart full of "Nutritional Drinks", (the kind marketed especially towards the elderly as healthy supplements to give them a boost) and he's arguing with the cashier about the price:

Cashier: that's $34 please
                          Him (indignant): What?! That's not right! $34 for # packs?
                          Cashier: yes, please, $34
                          Him (loud and rude): No! Did you ring in tax? There's no tax. There's no tax on food!
                          At which point he wheels around to me, angry beady eyes glaring out from bushy waggling eyebrows, and yells!
                          "THERE'S NO TAX ON FOOD! THIS IS FOOD, RIGHT?"
                          Me: ummmm, well sir, ..... technically ...., er, have you ever glanced at the ingredient label?
                          Which earns me a withering stare,
                          and they leave.

Price discrepancy - because he didn't factor the bottle return deposit we have here

And, just to make the cashier's day as she tells me the total for my packages of feminine protection:
                          Me (with a wink): Oh! Is there tax on this?
                          Which is a rant for a whole 'nother day, but I did make the clerk laugh.

Rudeness is never appropriate

Lark
                          "Unfortunately, humans rely less on instincts and more on culture to determine what they eat" - Marcia Pelchat

Comment

• Re: salt, here's Mark's recent post about it: Is Salt Healthy? | Marks Daily Apple

Like everything else, "reduced salt = reduced BP" is not an easy answer.

Comment

• Oh How I love having become people's tag line.
                              Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

• Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
                                I do have high blood pressure. My doc is paleo/primal friendly but still tells me to watch salt intake and has me on meds. Its genetic in my case.
                                Makes me wonder... what are you genetically predisposed to eating/avoiding? Can you find those things and improve? That would be a cool experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X