Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
    I know that in some cases, changing diet just isn't enough. My sister was one of those. I do know that, when we could get her to follow it, a junk free diet did help her. It just wasn't enough. Now she refuses to medicate or use diet, out of some religious reasoning.
    I know I am a case where diet is all that was needed to change. I cut sulfites due to an allergy and went full paleo. Bam, no more ADHD.
    Knowing that there are some where diet just isn't enough is part of why I held my tongue after the first advice on diet. What I believe to be true, may not be true for the kid.
    agreed. I cut the junk from my daughters diet and there was no change. She is on meds and yeah, its a little better but our life is a roller coaster no matter what the girl is eating.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Warmbear View Post

Who the hell comes up with these studies anyways? the sugar industry?
      Read about brain scans with kids that have ADHD and kids that do not. Its not food that fills in the gaps or lack of food. Yes, the sugar industry fills the world with crap and sugar affects a lot but ADHD is a medical diagnosis.
      Karin

Comment

• Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
        There are so many studies that have debunked food being related to ADHD, NOT that I am advocating (although I am guilty with my own child). What an ADHD brain looks like compared to a normal brain is way different. There is a, for lack of a better phrase, dead space where connections just do not happen. Hence, prescribing stimulants to fire those receptors. Some people use stimulants that are medicated and some use non-medicated (mt. Dew).
        Thank you for saying something.

I really get frustrated when people try to dismiss ADHD as an actual neurological condition and suggest that it can be 'cured' via diet or that it is 'caused' by one's diet. As an adult with ADHD, I can assure you that it is a real issue, and medication is often the best solution. Does eating better (and otherwise living primally) help out by eliminating some moderately-related issues (fatigue, anxiety, etc.)? Yes, of course. Does diet get rid of the root symptoms (forgetfulness, lack of proper focus, inability to motivate yourself)? Nope, not even close.
        I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
        SW (Feb 2012): 278
        SBF: 26% (Scale)
        CW (Sept 2015): 200
        CBF: 17% (Scale)

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
          There.... that looks more correct.... Sorry... couldn't resisit....
          Lol yes, exactly.

Comment

Read about brain scans with kids that have ADHD and kids that do not. Its not food that fills in the gaps or lack of food. Yes, the sugar industry fills the world with crap and sugar affects a lot but ADHD is a medical diagnosis.
            Where can we read the studies?
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
              Where can we read the studies?
              When my daughter goes her to next therapy session I will get the name and author of the book I am referring to. It has pictures of the brain scans I am talking about but some articles to consider are:

ADHD: Attention Deficit and the Interest-Based Nervous System
              Discovery Health "Causes of ADHD and the ADHD Brain" reference to the grey matter is what I was talking about
              Causes of ADHD
              The influence of components of diet on ... [Rocz Panstw Zakl Hig. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI discusses more of vitamin deficiencies rather than food causing harm

edit to say: If you live with ADHD either in yourself or your child, you look for anything and everything to help. You research your brains out. You talk with anyone who might possibly have expertise in this area. You try EVERYTHING! I would gently advise you to not cast judgement on the parents of ADHD kids or ADHD adults who are doing the best they can with what they have. I live this life everyday from the moment I wake up, we struggle, to when she goes to bed, again we struggle and everyplace inbetween.
              Last edited by athomeontherange; 10-30-2013, 12:55 PM.
              Karin

Comment

• Originally posted by accidentalpancake View Post
                Thank you for saying something.

I really get frustrated when people try to dismiss ADHD as an actual neurological condition and suggest that it can be 'cured' via diet or that it is 'caused' by one's diet. As an adult with ADHD, I can assure you that it is a real issue, and medication is often the best solution. Does eating better (and otherwise living primally) help out by eliminating some moderately-related issues (fatigue, anxiety, etc.)? Yes, of course. Does diet get rid of the root symptoms (forgetfulness, lack of proper focus, inability to motivate yourself)? Nope, not even close.
                your welcome and I totally hear you.
                Karin

Comment

When my daughter goes her to next therapy session I will get the name and author of the book I am referring to. It has pictures of the brain scans I am talking about but some articles to consider are:

ADHD: Attention Deficit and the Interest-Based Nervous System
                  Discovery Health "Causes of ADHD and the ADHD Brain" reference to the grey matter is what I was talking about
                  Causes of ADHD
                  The influence of components of diet on ... [Rocz Panstw Zakl Hig. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI discusses more of vitamin deficiencies rather than food causing harm
                  I'm confused. None of those are studies and none of them show brain scans?
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• I TOLD you that the next time my daughter goes to therapy I will be the book and author for you to look up. Those were to get you going because you are not educated about ADHD.
                    Karin

Comment

• here are pictures. Read the articles too.

try this PsychiatryOnline | Psychiatric News | News Article and this Brain gray matter deficits at 33-year fo... [Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI and this Cortical gray matter in a... [J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI and this Brain Differences in ADHD - AboutKidsHealth there are more. Research.
                      Karin

Comment

There are so many studies that have debunked food being related to ADHD,
                        This is what I'm waiting for you to post. None of what you posted suggests this remotely.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• ummm lets see, what I posts says its a neurological disorder. What part of that is food related? It is shared through heredity means, what part of that is food related. I got you started, do some research Rich.
                          Karin

Comment

ummm lets see, what I posts says its a neurological disorder. What part of that is food related? It is shared through heredity means, what part of that is food related. I got you started, do some research Rich.
                            What you post shows that the brains of people diagnosed with ADHD are different than the brains of those not diagnosed with ADHD. It says nothing about whether food can affect the already diminished ability of those with ADHD to concentrate or stay still. I shouldn't have to research a fantastic claim that you made that you have brain scans proving that sugar doesn't make kids with ADHD more hyperactive. The onus for proof of a fantastic claim is on the person making the fantastic claim.
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

There are so many studies that have debunked food being related to ADHD, NOT that I am advocating (although I am guilty with my own child). What an ADHD brain looks like compared to a normal brain is way different. There is a, for lack of a better phrase, dead space where connections just do not happen. Hence, prescribing stimulants to fire those receptors. Some people use stimulants that are medicated and some use non-medicated (mt. Dew).
                              Yet, in most cases, ADHD is diagnosed and categorized based on symptoms. So a perfectly normal kid who's not eating well or acting out to cope with stress from bullying could be put on ritalin. And nobody considers the fact that diet and lifestyle can influence the expression of certain illnesses/disorders. Just medication and that's it.
                              It seems that all you have to do to be diagnosed with a sociological, mental, developmental or psychological problem is ask a psychiatrist/psychologist/doctor nowadays. Or, more simply put: the difference between 'normal' people and 'mad/damaged' people is that the 'mad/damaged' person has visited a psychiatrist.

PS: Another issue is where a kid with ADD is misdiagnosed as having ADHD due to displaying the hyperactive and/or bipolar-esque symptoms associated with ADHD, even though these particular symptoms could have another cause.
                              Last edited by Kochin; 10-30-2013, 02:01 PM.
                              --
                              Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                              I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                              I'd apologize, but...

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                                What you post shows that the brains of people diagnosed with ADHD are different than the brains of those not diagnosed with ADHD. It says nothing about whether food can affect the already diminished ability of those with ADHD to concentrate or stay still. I shouldn't have to research a fantastic claim that you made that you have brain scans proving that sugar doesn't make kids with ADHD more hyperactive. The onus for proof of a fantastic claim is on the person making the fantastic claim.
                                never said that. In fact, I mentioned NOTHING about sugar smart ass. I said that food is NOT cause of ADHD. The evidence I provided states that as well. There are some ignorant people that state food affects and or causes ADHD. That is FALSE. I did post an article that attributed to heightened ADHD to be vitamin and mineral deficient. Why you are looking for a fight is beyond me.
                                Karin

Comment

Working...
                                X