Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
    Really? I always thought that nicotine was a relatively benign thing to be addicted to (if you're going to apply it in a patch or something). It was the tar and ash that did the damage to your lungs.
    Well, people tend to self-regulate the nicotine. They smoke more light cigarettes or inhale them harder or whatever. And the filter may contain harmful chemicals, but I don't have any peer-reviewed studies to back that up. I also think whole wheat bread contains more antinutrients than white. But this isn't really an important topic to debate, since we both agree that bread and cigarettes in any form are best avoided.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• It's just CW to think that whole grains are any better than their processed counterparts for anything more than the processing. I can't have wheat period, so it doesn't really register as anything to worry about for me, but if you're going to rank things from bad to worst, any conventional bread is going to be worst, regardless of whether it's immediate glucose spike or anti-nutients that are the problem. There is something to be said for a traditional sourdough, but you can bet the grains were pounded and the husk and bran mostly removed to make it more digestible.

Comment

• This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
        I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post

This

Nice. Gotta keep those members around.

Comment

• I had a CW moment today.

I was reading an article about the new diet because I like to do that sometimes to see what new diets people are “inventing” now. Very rarely I see something reasonable and the introduction to this one seemed ok.

The point was to eat only during 8 h of the day and then fast for 16 hours. About what to eat the introduction said – you can eat anything besides sweet drinks. Sound a lot (not entirely) like good old IF of our Grok, right? Wrong. I kept reading and found a sample menu:

Breakfast (~at 9-10 am):
            Oatmeal with blueberries and maple syrup
            Tea/coffee/water

Snack:
            Oatmeal bar/ energy bar

Lunch:
            Wholegrain sandwich with turkey
            A glass of low-fat milk
            Apple

Dinner (~at 5-6 pm):
            Salmon steak
            Sweet potato (baked)
            Serving of broccoli
            ½ serving of ice-cream

And here I was hoping that people will get some good info about healthy lifestyle…
            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread94235.html
            Starting weight (1.Sep 2013): 88.1 kg
            Current weight: 84.6 kg
            Goal weight: 66 kg
            Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep loosing it

Comment

• Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post
              Nice. Gotta keep those members round.
              There.... that looks more correct.... Sorry... couldn't resisit....

Comment

• Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post

This

Yea, well, what do you expect out of a place that has "lunk alarms"?
                Randal
                AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by natashik85 View Post
                  I had a CW moment today.

I was reading an article about the new diet because I like to do that sometimes to see what new diets people are “inventing” now. Very rarely I see something reasonable and the introduction to this one seemed ok.

The point was to eat only during 8 h of the day and then fast for 16 hours. About what to eat the introduction said – you can eat anything besides sweet drinks. Sound a lot (not entirely) like good old IF of our Grok, right? Wrong. I kept reading and found a sample menu:

Breakfast (~at 9-10 am):
                  Oatmeal with blueberries and maple syrup
                  Tea/coffee/water

Snack:
                  Oatmeal bar/ energy bar

Lunch:
                  Wholegrain sandwich with turkey
                  A glass of low-fat milk
                  Apple

Dinner (~at 5-6 pm):
                  Salmon steak
                  Sweet potato (baked)
                  Serving of broccoli
                  ½ serving of ice-cream

And here I was hoping that people will get some good info about healthy lifestyle…
                  Still pushing snacks and three servings of grains. Blech. Or should I say, "Moooo!" Energy bars crack me up. Most of them are just candy bars dressed up in granola.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarielleGO View Post
                    Ever heard of a horse on SAD?
                    Well after this weekend I have...

Me went to feed my grandpa's horse an apple. The horse didn't take it.
                    My Grandpa: He only likes bread as a snack.
                    me: Bread?
                    Grandpa: yeah, but he gets the whole wheat bread like me, that's healthy!
                    Oh that is really bad. Horses should NOT eat bread! It's really bad for them. Often, you have to introduce them to carrots and apples. Racehorses, which I have rehabbed, don't eat treats. So you have to chop them fine and put them in feed. And while I am a proponent of horses eating a pretty much only hay diet, OTTB's (Off The Track Thoroughbreds) have to have a higher concentration feed for the first bit until they can transition and hold weight on their own. They are fed a high protein, high sugar feed and kept in stalls for the first year after their baby year... and they trim their feet in such a way as to make them dig in harder, but it is like running a marathon in superhigh heels. it took us 9 months to correct "race course" shoeing and it took us 6 weeks to bring them off the "sugar high" and drugs from the track.

I HATE watching "canned" races like the Derby or the Preakness. What goes on before/behind is just so ugly. It's similar to the feelign when I go to the store and see someone piling up on CW/SAD and just merrily believing they are "eating so healthy"...AHHH!!!

Sorry. Rant done.
                    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
                    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
                    Pope John Paul II

Comment

• After spotting me on the bench press, a friend asks:

"So what are some good things to eat for muscle gain?"
                      "Beef, eggs, good milk"
                      "Is that what you eat?"
                      "Yeah, minus the milk. Earlier during the year I'd eat 30 eggs per week."
                      "30? Wait, with yolks?"
                      "Of course. Whole eggs. Yolks are the best part."
                      "Wow, have you had your cholesterol measured?"
                      "I used to eat ~20 eggs a week. I measured my cholesterol, it was fine. I then measured my cholesterol after eating 30 eggs a week."
                      "...And?"
                      "It was even lower"
                      "...You must burn it off or something because you're physically active"

Comment

• I was tutoring a kid with ADHD yesterday. The mother was making sugar cookies for her (hey, their life, not mine.) She'd also had part of a diet Dr. Pepper (apparently, she wasn't supposed to have it), some Scooby Doo "fruit" snacks, and sugar free Koolaid already. The parents were trying to get her to sit down and "behave" with threats and bribery. I only thought about the snacks she'd had and what I'd seen the kid eat for dinner before and bit my tongue. It's their kid, not mine, and I've already given my two cents on what I thought diet could do for her.
                        (Eventually, between the 3 of us, the sweet little girl I knew showed up and was ready to learn.)
                        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                        My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                          I was tutoring a kid with ADHD yesterday. The mother was making sugar cookies for her (hey, their life, not mine.) She'd also had part of a diet Dr. Pepper (apparently, she wasn't supposed to have it), some Scooby Doo "fruit" snacks, and sugar free Koolaid already. The parents were trying to get her to sit down and "behave" with threats and bribery. I only thought about the snacks she'd had and what I'd seen the kid eat for dinner before and bit my tongue. It's their kid, not mine, and I've already given my two cents on what I thought diet could do for her.
                          (Eventually, between the 3 of us, the sweet little girl I knew showed up and was ready to learn.)
                          There are so many studies that have debunked food being related to ADHD, NOT that I am advocating (although I am guilty with my own child). What an ADHD brain looks like compared to a normal brain is way different. There is a, for lack of a better phrase, dead space where connections just do not happen. Hence, prescribing stimulants to fire those receptors. Some people use stimulants that are medicated and some use non-medicated (mt. Dew).
                          Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• My son who was a long time medicated for ADHD and was an agitated terror all the time has settled down nicely now that I got the soft drinks and bread and sugar and carbs mostly out of his diet. he is eating a solid paleo diet and is doing great. I dont care what studies there are saying food is not involved in ADHD. I see it all the time, kids hyped on sugar and crap food being crazy making.

Who the hell comes up with these studies anyways? the sugar industry?
                            Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Warmbear View Post
                              My son who was a long time medicated for ADHD and was an agitated terror all the time has settled down nicely now that I got the soft drinks and bread and sugar and carbs mostly out of his diet. he is eating a solid paleo diet and is doing great. I dont care what studies there are saying food is not involved in ADHD. I see it all the time, kids hyped on sugar and crap food being crazy making.

Who the hell comes up with these studies anyways? the sugar industry?
                              Maybe it's the food coloring illuminati.
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• I know that in some cases, changing diet just isn't enough. My sister was one of those. I do know that, when we could get her to follow it, a junk free diet did help her. It just wasn't enough. Now she refuses to medicate or use diet, out of some religious reasoning.
                                I know I am a case where diet is all that was needed to change. I cut sulfites due to an allergy and went full paleo. Bam, no more ADHD.
                                Knowing that there are some where diet just isn't enough is part of why I held my tongue after the first advice on diet. What I believe to be true, may not be true for the kid.
                                Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                                My Latest Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X