Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fifer View Post
    Well these are dear friends who I don't want to alienate from myself; they all every one chose the one vegy option and I knew (having eaten there a couple of years ago pre-primal) that it would be very clean and nutritious food. So I was happy to make that choice. I din't feel I was neglecting my health by eating roasted vegetables with a glass of red wine in a quality French restaurant, do you think I was? This week I have had a good steak every day, is that not enough to atone for my sins?

I care deeply what my friends think and I make many efforts and sacrifices to humour them - see Mark's post today.

I only told you all the story so you could wonder about my "funny CW moment".
    I think you should be able to eat what you want, just like your friends. Would it be okay if a group of primal eaters and a vegetarian went to a restaurant and the group criticized and coerced the vegetarian into ordering a steak?

Comment

• Originally posted by quikky View Post
      I think you should be able to eat what you want, just like your friends. Would it be okay if a group of primal eaters and a vegetarian went to a restaurant and the group criticized and coerced the vegetarian into ordering a steak?
      Actually, that would be awesome!
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
        Until you do it to someone who has kidney problems. And the person refuses to go anywhere with you again.
        Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

• Originally posted by Twibble View Post
          Until you do it to someone who has kidney problems. And the person refuses to go anywhere with you again.
          Uh oh, humor police are here!
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Uh oh, humor police are here!
            Nah, just someone who's been told all her life to just eat what she got and shut up.
            Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

I know. Best outcome would be to just eat the vegetarian.

Comment

• Originally posted by quikky View Post
                McDonald's are supposed to introduce a "healthy" breakfast option of some egg McMuffin or something along those lines, and basically it has egg whites instead of the whole egg. McDonald's is doing this to attract the healthier crowd. Ironic that they are offering a healthier version, which removed the healthiest component (egg yolk) of the otherwise unhealthy item.
                I dunno, with the quality of mickey-d's, the yolks are probably synthetically made of canola-oil or something...
                --
                Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
                I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                I'd apologize, but...

Comment

• Originally posted by fifer View Post
                  Well these are dear friends who I don't want to alienate from myself; they all every one chose the one vegy option and I knew (having eaten there a couple of years ago pre-primal) that it would be very clean and nutritious food. So I was happy to make that choice. I din't feel I was neglecting my health by eating roasted vegetables with a glass of red wine in a quality French restaurant, do you think I was? This week I have had a good steak every day, is that not enough to atone for my sins?

I care deeply what my friends think and I make many efforts and sacrifices to humour them - see Mark's post today.

I only told you all the story so you could wonder about my "funny CW moment".
                  I didn't say it was an unhealthy option--mentally, you're being unhealthy. You're letting other people make one of the most basic life choices for you--telling you what to eat. If you can't even stand up for yourself enough to eat what you want, then what else can you stand for?? Do you let them tell you when you should sleep and piss and who you can have sex with too? Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's really ridiculous to not even eat what you want just because your friends criticized it. It's a very weak thing to do, and what you eat has nothing to do with them so it's not a sacrifice for them.
                  Last edited by Clymb; 08-29-2013, 03:19 PM.
                  "The mountains are calling and I must go."
                  --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
                  --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
                  --Hyperlithic

Comment

• Originally posted by Clymb View Post
                    I didn't say it was an unhealthy option--mentally, you're being unhealthy. You're letting other people make one of the most basic life choices for you--telling you what to eat. If you can't even stand up for yourself enough to eat what you want, then what else can you stand for?? Do you let them tell you when you should sleep and piss and who you can have sex with too? Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it's really ridiculous to not even eat what you want just because your friends criticized it. It's a very weak thing to do, and what you eat has nothing to do with them so it's not a sacrifice for them.
                    Disagree. Stubbornness is not attractive but taking feelings of friends into account is a generous thing to do, whether or not they appreciate it. And Fifer still ate a healthy meal so lost nothing but can leave the restaurant with diet, friendships and self esteem intact. Worth it in my view. Even worth it if the meal had been non-primal - just put it down to 20%. This is not a religion.
                    Annie Ups the Ante
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                      Disagree. Stubbornness is not attractive but taking feelings of friends into account is a generous thing to do, whether or not they appreciate it. And Fifer still ate a healthy meal so lost nothing but can leave the restaurant with diet, friendships and self esteem intact. Worth it in my view. Even worth it if the meal had been non-primal - just put it down to 20%. This is not a religion.
                      Yep.

We have vegan friends that we are careful NOT to have indepth food discussions with, and when we have shared meals it's always fruit and vegetable platters with dips. If it was for myself I'd add various cheeses, salamis and smoked salmon to the mix, but out of respect for them I don't.

Having said that, I *hate* to feel controlled, so in the 'restaurant with friends' example I would have absolutely ordered the steak. If a 'friend' chose to chastise me, I'd try to find a non-confrontational way to ask them if they were wanting to have a discussion about healthy food options, because I'd be happy to discuss that.
                      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Ah I miss seeing more funny moments! I have one to share:

Was camping this past weekend and we had a barbecue lunch. I brought my own chicken dogs instead of eating the hot dogs everyone else did. I asked one of the girls in the group if she wanted one as I know she is watching her weight. She said no, those will upset my stomach but thanks. Then she proceeds to grab a huge piece of bread, processed deli meat and Miracle Whip from her cooler! Ick, ick and double ICK!

Comment

• Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                          Monty Python started off the same way....

They were horrified that future comedians were classified as 'pythonesque', since their goal was to break all boundaries and be unclassifiable.
                          That's how it works. You break the boundaries, and everyone's like, "Ooh, I want to be a boundary-breaker, too!"

Remember the Dr. Pepper ad from the 70s? "Be original - drink Dr. Pepper!"

And have you noticed that non-conformists have a dress code? ;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                            It's not even about being primal or not, that's totally missing the point. The point was that this person simply wanted a steak, he said his friends were all saying, "That's so unhealthy!", so he didn't order it. The point is that he forced himself to have something he didn't want to have just because his friends said his choice was unhealthy. He didn't have to argue or preach about it, he could've just ordered what he wanted. It doesn't matter if it's primal or not, it's the fact that he's letting other people control something so basic as what he puts in his mouth. I don't see how it's taking their feelings into account because it shouldn't have anything to do with them.
                            "The mountains are calling and I must go."
                            --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
                            --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
                            --Hyperlithic

Comment

• Originally posted by Clymb View Post
                              It's not even about being primal or not, that's totally missing the point. The point was that this person simply wanted a steak, he said his friends were all saying, "That's so unhealthy!", so he didn't order it. The point is that he forced himself to have something he didn't want to have just because his friends said his choice was unhealthy. He didn't have to argue or preach about it, he could've just ordered what he wanted. It doesn't matter if it's primal or not, it's the fact that he's letting other people control something so basic as what he puts in his mouth. I don't see how it's taking their feelings into account because it shouldn't have anything to do with them.
                              I agree. Eat whatever you want. If your friends will not be friends with you if you act like yourself, then you need new friends. I'd order two steaks just to spite them.

Comment

• CW is a huge issue because it's so ingrained in people's brains and supported by 'health professionals'. No matter how successful your story is, people are not prepared to listen. They think you are crazy because you don't eat bread and say no to cupcakes!

It might be unthinkable for some to give up sugar and bread (or whatever else) but if they only believed that after the first few weeks of hard work, food won’t have control over them any more and this is the most absolute truth.

I used to be a sugar addict, carb lover. Always fighting with myself and getting miserable for my lack of self-control. I was sick and tired of failing. Doing really well (CW diet) during the week and blowing it on the weekends. It’s was a cycle. And even when I tried to ‘be good’ it was a battle with myself – it was not a natural thing for me to turn down food, especially sweet stuff.

I wish people would wake up. I am frustrated with the zombie like lifestyle people I love live but they are not willing to change. Everyone wants a ‘magic pill’ that will make them lose weight. The thing is, at the beginning, Primal Eating might be a bit overwhelming for some. I get it, it’s HARD to change old habits and especially if it goes against everything you believed your whole life.

But the benefits come so quickly, that’s it’s hard to believe how easy it is.

CW moments for me: Co-worker who is trying to eat better. She is really trying. We talk a lot about food, and carbs and etc. I am trying to slowly convince her to give up bread. She is starting to listen but quite often she calculates her ‘points’ – even though she is not doing WW. I keep quiet, leading by example and my results are the best testimony to my lifestyle.

And when I was talking to my sister this week, I was telling her I don’t want to become one of those people that judge other people’s choices on what they eat and I don’t want to be a food snob (turn down food people cook for me when I am invited to their house for a meal type of situation) – you deal with situations as they come. I also said: ‘I am not depriving myself at all and I am not that strict, so if I feel like eating something that is not primal, I will have it – but I never feel like having it! (90-10) She said: ‘It’s great… sometimes you just need a piece of bread, it keeps you full for longer’

When you think you are making progress…… head desk!!

Comment

Working...
                                X