• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thats only one of many themes.. they change all the time
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• -Keep lots of "healthy" snacks around - the infamous "100 calorie packs" was brought up several times. She encouraged "grazing" throughout the day.
      UNBLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE {VITAMIN B1}, RIBOFLAVIN {VITAMIN B2}, FOLIC ACID), WHOLE WHEAT, SOYBEAN AND/OR PALM OIL, SUGAR, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, SALT, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, MALTED BARLEY SYRUP, LEAVENING (CALCIUM PHOSPHATE AND/OR BAKING SODA AND/OR YEAST), CHEDDAR CHEESE (CULTURED MILK, SALT, ENZYMES, ANNATTO EXTRACT COLOR), DEXTROSE, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, COLOR ADDED, SPICES (CONTAINS: CELERY, PAPRIKA), DRIED GARLIC, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE (FLAVOR ENHANCER), SOY LECITHIN, DRIED SOY SAUCE (SOYBEANS, WHEAT, SALT), SODIUM CASEINATE, LACTIC ACID, TAMARINDS, ACETIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVOR. CONTAINS: WHEAT, MILK, SOY.

Where exactly is the healthy food item in this 100 calorie pack? Why do people think these are healthy?

UNBLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE {VITAMIN B1}, RIBOFLAVIN {VITAMIN B2}, FOLIC ACID), SUGAR, SOYBEAN OIL, FUDGE COATING (SUGAR, PALM KERNEL AND/OR PALM OIL, COCOA {PROCESSED WITH ALKALI}, SKIM MILK, WHEY, SOY LECITHIN, VANILLA), SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS (SUGAR, CHOCOLATE, COCOA BUTTER, SOY LECITHIN, VANILLA), COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, FRUCTOSE, BAKING SODA, SALT, SOY LECITHIN, DEXTROSE, VANILLIN--AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR. CONTAINS: WHEAT, MILK, SOY.

Are these healthier?

Seriously. No wonder people are fat.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
        Where exactly is the healthy food item in this 100 calorie pack? Why do people think these are healthy?
        Because some people are fat partially because of what I call the package syndrome - I open the package, I eat the package or simply The serving size is the package. This is obviously not the case as a bag of chips could be 6 or 10 servings, but if the bag is open, well, you can't stop at just one right? So you eat the whole bag. With a 100 calorie pack you eat the whole pack - it is 100 calories. It is not 1600 calories. Of course, you can only fool yourself for so long and chances are you will eat a ton later but in that moment you are making a 'healthier' choice.

Comment

• Dried Garlic.
          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
          bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Originally posted by JenCRNA View Post
            ...Went to see a new Nurse Practitioner today for a physical and to review blood work...

She recommended 2 supplements...She also wrote me a prescription for Metformin...

I was trying out this practice but now see it is not for me. What a waste of time!
            I have a problem with the writing of the prescription for Metforming with your fasting blood glucose number in the normal range.

I'd make a big deal about that one.

Also, you should track your diet and go back to them when you've reached your weight loss goal. Have a meeting with them to teach 'em a thing or two.

The more you learn about the conventional healthcare system the scarier and more broken it seems to be. Also, good luck with your journey! You're going to do great.

Comment

No one thinks they're healthy... at least, I never did. They're just supposed to be a treat like a chocolate bar but guaranteed to be only 100 calories. But they're still a treat.
              Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

• They're just supposed to be a treat like a chocolate bar but guaranteed to be only 100 calories. But they're still a treat.
                Yeah, I know the 100 calorie pack routine. You eat one, it doesn't satisfy you on any level, so you end up eating 2 more, then grabbing a Snickers Bar.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• I'm guilty trying weight watchers a few times. Also guilty of discovering something like 100 calorie packs were 2 points, but if you ate 2 packs, only 3 points! Bonus!!

Then I would eat a snickers bar

Comment

Yeah, I know the 100 calorie pack routine. You eat one, it doesn't satisfy you on any level, so you end up eating 2 more, then grabbing a Snickers Bar.
                    Or just eat an entire bag of micro-sized Snickers Bars.

Comment

• The snacking thing drives me crazy. I've actually had people tell me that it's unsafe and unhealthy for me to not snack. They always ask "what about your blood sugar???" which is silly, because I just don't eat foods that spike my blood sugar to begin with. Strangely enough, my snack happy friends are always the ones who get incredibly grumpy and ravenous before meals, whereas I can almost always wait longer.

I used to work in a research lab that had toddlers come in for ~30 minute experiments. I found it unbelievable that almost every mom carried around ziplock baggies full of Cheerios and crackers so that their children could eat all day long. It was hard enough to get the kids to stop eating just for the length of the actual experiment. No wonder these kids won't eat anything except chicken nuggets: they're never hungry enough to actually try something new. I know these moms think they're doing the right thing, but Cheerios are one of the worst things you can feed your child. I wish I could tell them to start introducing a wide variety of vegetables, fruits, and meats to get their palette developing, but of course I only give advice when asked for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ebrady98
                        Failing science in the name of science
                        Bravo! You're brave and that's a good thing.
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Co-worker: "Going to eat a bunch of cannoli on my trip"
                          Me: "Just eat some juicy steaks too, it will balance out"
                          Another co-worker: "You just want to do him in, don't you?"

Comment

• Co-worker on leaner muscle gain: "So what kind of food should I eat more of?"
                            Me: "Protein intake should be high. Fat intake as high as you want. Enough carbs to fuel workouts and recovery"
                            Co-worker: "...Wait so I should eat a lot of fat?"
                            Me: "It won't hurt. Just keep the protein high, and eat enough carbs too."
                            Co-worker: "But fat will make me fat"
                            Me: "Calories make people fat. Fat doesn't make people fat."
                            Co-worker: "...It doesn't?!"

Comment

• EMT going to Paramedic school...

Unless you are in emergency medicine, you truly cannot comprehend how the US is sending us straight to hell in a big white box with lights on it (mine is actually red, but that's okay).

Sometimes, I will tell my pts in the ambulance (ambo) about primal. I've lost lots of weight, pre-diabetes symptoms go down, healthy blood, etc, etc.

It really depends upon how scared they are as to whether they listen or not. I've talked to my colleagues, too, but for a couple of exceptions, it falls on deaf (dead?) ears.

Went to the Maryland state Firemen's Association conference in Ocean City. I have never seen so many fat firemen. Sad, so so sad. My friend (primal... I brought her over, thank God) and I marveled how most of these guys don't keel over during a fire from heat induced heart attack... ultimately induced by too much sugar and grains (firehouse spaghetti dinners with garlic bread and badly over cooked vegetables)...

sigh.

::forehead smack::
                              The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
                              Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
                              Pope John Paul II

Comment

• Originally posted by sires6 View Post
                                Unless you are in emergency medicine, you truly cannot comprehend how the US is sending us straight to hell in a big white box with lights on it (mine is actually red, but that's okay).
                                O.P.U.S. here (Old Paramedic Under Stress). Spent almost 20 years in EMS working 911 and offshore/overseas and you are right.

I started back in 1975 before there were paramedics in our part of Texas. We might have an occasional 300 pounder patient, once a month or so. 400 and above were a once a year thing.

But then HFCS, fake oils, etc, started coming out and the average patient weight continues to go up to the point where large EMS services have special "bariatric" ambulances with stretchers with capacities up to 1000 lbs, winches, hydraulic ramps.

The difference between now and then? The rampant spread of CW wisdom, dependence on CW medicine to solve all ills, well, y'all know the story.

My personal best when I was an EMT? Patient weighed 526 lbs. Add the weight of the stretcher, that put us over 600 lbs. None of this fancy, smancy, roll in/roll out stuff, we had to dead lift the stretcher into the back of the unit....just the two of us.

Surprised I still have an intact spine left after all those years.
                                Randal
                                AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                                Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                                http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X