No announcement yet.

Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic olive oil is WAYYY too easy to make for me to justify buying it. Smash garlic cloves, drop in olive oil, and let sit for a minimum of 24 hrs. I generally have a thing of olive oil and a thing of garlic olive oil at any given time (I just let the garlic stay in there until the jar is used up.)
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

• We sat through the cooking demo & galley tour onboard our cruise ship...

Head chef kept talking about "healthy low-fat" crap...that go with his "healthy whole grain" other crap...

And I could not get coconut oil onboard. They don't use it in the galley... but the head chef named off corn, soy, canola, and vegetable oils...

Comment

• Originally posted by RaeVynn View Post
        And I could not get coconut oil onboard. They don't use it in the galley... but the head chef named off corn, soy, canola, and vegetable oils...
        Thanks for the reminder. Going on a cruise in June and will definitely be taking my own.

Comment

• Originally posted by RaeVynn View Post
          We sat through the cooking demo & galley tour onboard our cruise ship...

Head chef kept talking about "healthy low-fat" crap...that go with his "healthy whole grain" other crap...

Surely there was butter?

Comment

• there's a great new product in the UK called Flora Cuisine

advertised as containing "30% less SFA than olive oil..."...

horrible

Comment

• I was cruising recipe blogs and came across a recipe for banana split cake. The author mentioned being afraid of raw eggs, so she had to change the creamy filling. Afraid to use raw eggs, but OK with using 2 tubs of cool whip:
              WATER, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORN SYRUP, SKIM MILK, LIGHT CREAM, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, XANTHAN AND GUAR GUMS, POLYSORBATE 60, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR). CONTAINS: MILK.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                Garlic olive oil is WAYYY too easy to make for me to justify buying it. Smash garlic cloves, drop in olive oil, and let sit for a minimum of 24 hrs. I generally have a thing of olive oil and a thing of garlic olive oil at any given time (I just let the garlic stay in there until the jar is used up.)
                Careful with the garlic olive oil if you aren't going to heat it before eating, and are storing it at room temp. Homemade garlic infused oil can put you at risk for botulism.
                Oil Infusions and the Risk of Botulism
                Last edited by s-piper; 04-01-2013, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• I've just been out to a supermarket to do the weekly shop for a lady who is housebound

she gave me a list and asked me to to a specific store

well, I do buy most of my food online and at the market so I rarely go in the large chain superstores so it may not be surprising that I was absolutely shocked and frankly sickened by the array of 'food' (if you can call it that) - just huge piles of processed, cheap garbage in packets, boxes, freezers and all kinds. the cookie and chocolate (none good chocolate) aisle alone was about 50 yards long as was the fizzy drinks aisle. Lots of buy-one-get-one-free deals encouraging people to buy more than they need

feeling quite depressed, nothing funny about it I'm sorry to say. I'm still in shock.

Comment

• Ruth's Chris Steak House menu: "We broil it exactly the way you like it at 1,800 degrees to lock in the corn-fed flavor."
                    "Don't go in there, General, it's a trap! That's a grain chamber. It makes people like you into people like me."

Comment

• Originally posted by s-piper View Post
                      Careful with the garlic olive oil if you aren't going to heat it before eating, and are storing it at room temp. Homemade garlic infused oil can put you at risk for botulism.
                      Oil Infusions and the Risk of Botulism
                      NK does not leave garlic alone long enough for botulism. Having been in her kitchen while she was cooking, I wouldn't put just swigging the stuff straight from the bottle past her...
                      Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

• Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                        Surely there was butter?
                        Yes, there was butter! I had buttered coffee with breakfast each morning.

I was looking for coconut oil specifically for a sunburn. Works better than anything in the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twibble View Post
                          NK does not leave garlic alone long enough for botulism. Having been in her kitchen while she was cooking, I wouldn't put just swigging the stuff straight from the bottle past her...
                          Nah, I haven't done that (yet.) We tend to use it mostly for cooking. And Twibble's right, the garlic oil lasts, at most, a couple weeks.
                          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                          My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                            Nah, I haven't done that (yet.) We tend to use it mostly for cooking. And Twibble's right, the garlic oil lasts, at most, a couple weeks.
                            NK, have you met my friend Skordalia...?
                            Skordalia Recipe - Food.com - 29583
                            (I use more garlic than that recipe calls for... but I like it thoroughly skunked/hot. I blender the EVOO, garlic, and lemon... then mix into the potatoes with a food processor on pulse. )

A delightful Greek concoction of potato, olive oil, lemon juice, and raw garlic... and it's NOT shy on the garlic!
                            As with most things Greek it's a bit 'in your face' in the BEST possible way. If you really like garlic that is.
                            I introduced my brother/sis-in-law to it recently and they loved it.

She made some soup that was too bland for me while I was there, but otherwise a win because it fit my eating requirements, so I popped a BIG spoon of the skordalia into it and stirred... Winning. Instant flavor.
                            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                            ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                            And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Easter at my friend's parents' house (do most holidays there), Dad has had gastric bypass, Mom is overweight and rattling off the medical conditions she's having (fibromyalgia, all kinds of inflammation, swollen legs, lots of doctor visits)--when she notices I'm eating piles of ham, eggs, and bacon but not the pancakes and rolls and pies she says, "You should be careful of your health!"

Nevermind the six-pack and good bloodwork numbers...

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                                I was cruising recipe blogs and came across a recipe for banana split cake. The author mentioned being afraid of raw eggs, so she had to change the creamy filling. Afraid to use raw eggs, but OK with using 2 tubs of cool whip:
                                WATER, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORN SYRUP, SKIM MILK, LIGHT CREAM, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, XANTHAN AND GUAR GUMS, POLYSORBATE 60, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR). CONTAINS: MILK.
                                Cool whip contains milk? I remember looking at it one time and going 'there's no MILK in here!'
                                Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Working...
                                X