Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Language class, chapter on health, including exercise and nutrition. It's terrible, because I want to argue, or choose the "correct" answers that aren't actually what the text/listening passage says. However, this one really stood out (paraphrased and translated):

    "One benefit of Chinese eating habits over American is that you use more muscles when using chopsticks, and this extra activity is good for you."

    I couldn't help but thinking that this logic is about on par with doing "12-oz curls".

    Comment


    • Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
      Language class, chapter on health, including exercise and nutrition. It's terrible, because I want to argue, or choose the "correct" answers that aren't actually what the text/listening passage says. However, this one really stood out (paraphrased and translated):

      "One benefit of Chinese eating habits over American is that you use more muscles when using chopsticks, and this extra activity is good for you."

      I couldn't help but thinking that this logic is about on par with doing "12-oz curls".
      Fine motor skills. It's a workout for people that don't know how to use chopsticks. How many have tried and the food keeps slipping, or you can't get a firm grasp on the food...then you give up and use a fork instead.

      Stabbing something is just soooo much easier.

      Comment


      • I love chopsticks. They are my go-to eating apparatus for any pre-chopped food. They are so much more hygienic than forks (which are all but impossible to clean, usually)...I use 'em daily. But..they suck for eating fried eggs. I don't know about stabbing being easier, but cutting with a fork is much easier than with chopsticks.

        The chopstick exercise claim sounds like your typical "our way is better" jingoism common to just about every culture.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by vtphoenix View Post
          Fine motor skills. It's a workout for people that don't know how to use chopsticks. How many have tried and the food keeps slipping, or you can't get a firm grasp on the food...then you give up and use a fork instead.

          Stabbing something is just soooo much easier.
          I was hoping that moving to Taiwan would help my wife learn to eat a bit more slowly, due to using chopsticks. What I didn't know is that the convention is to hold a small rice bowl (with meat and veggies on top) up to your mouth and use the chopsticks to shovel it in.

          We both lost 35-40 pounds in our time there, and my quest to understand why, to avoid putting it back on is what led me here.

          Comment


          • Funny/sad CW moment today... I was chatting with a friend at work, and noticed that she was getting her 2nd English Muffin from the toaster. Two entire english muffins. with some sort of fake spread.

            The sad part is that I know she is a diabetic with very iffy blood sugar control.

            Comment


            • Local coffee shop saying:

              Why not start your day off with a healthier breakfast? We serve breakfasts that are grilled and not fried but taste every bit as good as the traditional fry. There are also bagel breakfasts, toast, scrambled eggs etc. Come in and try, you'll not be disappointed.
              Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

              https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

              Comment


              • The French girls I house-share with have trouble eating well in the UK (they lose weight in WEEKS when they return to France, though, so it's not just them). I think it's due to infamiliarity and not shopping around. Apparently, good food in France is far cheaper, for starters. I can believe that, France is an agricultural powerhouse and the UK ships everything over. BUT I still live off 10-15/week, even though I eat very well. A further complaint is the taste of English whole foods. Again: I can believe that. But seasonings aren't exactly hard to come by, considering we have a street that's 70% Asian stores only ten minutes away. If it tastes bad: get some stupidly oversized sacks of seasoning. Besides an initial investment, it isn't so expensive in the long run. Good-tasting UK food is all bad for you, too, apparently. And frozen Iceland meals taste good?!

                Yes, they have their reasons and the cultural shift is quite large, but it can't be THAT hard to shop at LiDL, get some herbs for seasoning and ignore the overpriced, gelatinous junk food, right?
                Last edited by Kochin; 01-10-2013, 05:55 AM.
                --
                Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

                --
                I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
                I'd apologize, but...

                Comment


                • Originally posted by smilingjustalittlebit View Post
                  Local coffee shop saying:

                  Why not start your day off with a healthier breakfast? We serve breakfasts that are grilled and not fried but taste every bit as good as the traditional fry. There are also bagel breakfasts, toast, scrambled eggs etc. Come in and try, you'll not be disappointed.
                  I didn't realize ForgedFromFat was an MDA forum member.

                  Comment


                  • I wish this was a joke.

                    Device that pumps your food out of your stomach. Seriously, people are starving in the world and some scientists invent something to pour partially digested food out of your stomach into the toilet out of a new hole in your stomach.

                    Device That Pumps Food Straight Out Of Your Stomach Invented
                    My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

                    My primal journal on MDA.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
                      I didn't realize ForgedFromFat was an MDA forum member.
                      He surely is. The page has been slack lately while we moved house but all back to normal now!
                      Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

                      https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

                      Comment


                      • noticed that she was getting her 2nd English Muffin from the toaster. Two entire english muffins. with some sort of fake spread.
                        I used to eat English Muffins. With fake butter and if she had the light ones, that's probably a 250 or so calorie breakfast. The regular ones, maybe 360 calories. Of course she could have had 3 eggs scrambled with some veggies in 1/2 T of real butter for about 50 more calories than two light muffins and been full til lunch.

                        http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Silky View Post
                          I wish this was a joke.

                          Device that pumps your food out of your stomach. Seriously, people are starving in the world and some scientists invent something to pour partially digested food out of your stomach into the toilet out of a new hole in your stomach.

                          Device That Pumps Food Straight Out Of Your Stomach Invented
                          This makes me want to cry. Or scream.
                          Last edited by yodiewan; 01-10-2013, 11:26 AM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Silky View Post
                            I wish this was a joke.

                            Device that pumps your food out of your stomach. Seriously, people are starving in the world and some scientists invent something to pour partially digested food out of your stomach into the toilet out of a new hole in your stomach.

                            Device That Pumps Food Straight Out Of Your Stomach Invented
                            This is completely unbelievable. The video is nauseating.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Silky View Post
                              I wish this was a joke.

                              Device that pumps your food out of your stomach. Seriously, people are starving in the world and some scientists invent something to pour partially digested food out of your stomach into the toilet out of a new hole in your stomach.

                              Device That Pumps Food Straight Out Of Your Stomach Invented
                              This is one of those things that just baffles me. It's like having bariatric surgery. You have a potentially life threatening surgery done...to make you eat less? Why not just...eat less???? I really, really, really don't understand this. I would see a device like this as only encouraging things like bulemia.
                              High Weight: 225
                              Weight at start of Primal: 189
                              Current Weight: 174
                              Goal Weight: 130

                              Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
                                This is one of those things that just baffles me. It's like having bariatric surgery. You have a potentially life threatening surgery done...to make you eat less? Why not just...eat less???? I really, really, really don't understand this. I would see a device like this as only encouraging things like bulemia.
                                That was one of the first things I thought of too, that this device could certainly encourage eating disorders. Instead of treating the underlying issues in an ED such as bulimia and helping people overcome binging/purging tendencies, we are now just essentially encouraging binging and purging behaviors with a medical stamp of approval.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X