Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Owly View Post
    Who said we needed an invitation? Steak invasion...like home invasion except all the blood is on your plate.
    It could be a steak rave! lol
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Growing up my dad always insisted on having EVERY meat well done. Even steaks
      He had had food poisoning one too many times in his life, and was seriously paranoid it would happen again.

About the time I was in high school, I took over grilling duty, and made the steaks medium. He'd throw his back on, but the rest of us had yummy juicy steaks.

Now (more than a decade later...) I like them more medium-rare. Dad's loosened up, and will happily eat a steak that's pink in the middle - but never red.

I have to admit, though, I always liked the flavor of ketchup and steak. The salty meaty flavor of the meat and the sweet tangy ketchup all mixed together? Yum. But, I'll admit that a good steak does not NEED it. I just like it. A-1, though I don't like. And I don't see why it's acceptable (in some people's eyes) to use A-1 and not ketchup. Sauce is sauce.
      ~Jen~

OSW (1/6/12) - 230
      PSW (9/10/12) - 224
      CW (12/5/12) - 208
      GW - 160

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravyboat View Post
        I realize it's not going to make me popular to say this, but I genuinely do not like the taste of steak. It just tastes like blood to me, and the less cooked it is, the worse it is. So well-done-with-ketchup is the only way I can choke it down.

Judge me if you want. But I'm not going to eat something cooked in a way that tastes horrible to me just to make other people happy.
        It's all in your head... What's wrong with something tasting a bit like blood? Hello! It's primal!! Rawr...

Cheers,

Matt-

Comment

• Originally posted by BearsBeetsBG View Post
          Growing up my dad always insisted on having EVERY meat well done. Even steaks
          He had had food poisoning one too many times in his life, and was seriously paranoid it would happen again.

About the time I was in high school, I took over grilling duty, and made the steaks medium. He'd throw his back on, but the rest of us had yummy juicy steaks.

Now (more than a decade later...) I like them more medium-rare. Dad's loosened up, and will happily eat a steak that's pink in the middle - but never red.

I have to admit, though, I always liked the flavor of ketchup and steak. The salty meaty flavor of the meat and the sweet tangy ketchup all mixed together? Yum. But, I'll admit that a good steak does not NEED it. I just like it. A-1, though I don't like. And I don't see why it's acceptable (in some people's eyes) to use A-1 and not ketchup. Sauce is sauce.
          True story: With beef (and prolly all red meats, including lamb and venison), unless the meat is rotting, bacteria only grows on the cut surfaces of the meat. So so long as a steak is nicely seared on all sides you're fine.

GROUND meat, though, of course, is a completely different story. Practically the entire thing is cut surface area. That's why hamburger meat is most often tied to e.coli outbreaks.
          "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

• Originally posted by ezeflier View Post
            It's all in your head... What's wrong with something tasting a bit like blood? Hello! It's primal!! Rawr...
            Well, personally, I am just not appetized by the idea of chewing on a used tampon or anything else that seems to approximate that experience. Steak tastes like menstrual blood to me, and my response to that is: NOPE

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Comment

• Have you tasted menstrual blood? Plus, thanks for ruining steak on me!

Comment

• and this thread went south...for the time being
                Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• So my son (4 yo) hears us talking about "porcupine meatballs" at dinner (he's never had them) and later says that he thinks I was lying because people would not make meat balls out of these animals. I cracked up about it and explained that it meant that there was rice in them and it pokes out causing the name, but then realized that we eat lots of funny stuff. A few hours earlier I was off at a friends house to pick up yak meat we were sharing... we also raise our own turkeys which no one around here does either.

Comment

• We have had an e.coli outbreak in Canada thanks in part to a process called needle tenderization that pokes thousands of teeny holes in the meat and can push the surface bacteria into the middle of the steak. There's a call to change the law, but currently they don't have to label meat processed this way. The process may be used on as much as 50% of the steaks sold in Canadian supermarkets. This is done in the US too as far as I know.

So you can't just assume you can safely cook that steak to rare if you don't know how it was handled, sadly. I buy direct from a farmer and know for sure that her butcher doesn't do that, so I love my bloody steaks, but it's something to be aware of if you're buying at the meat counter (particularly on cheaper cuts).
                    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Owly View Post
                      We have had an e.coli outbreak in Canada thanks in part to a process called needle tenderization that pokes thousands of teeny holes in the meat and can push the surface bacteria into the middle of the steak. There's a call to change the law, but currently they don't have to label meat processed this way. The process may be used on as much as 50% of the steaks sold in Canadian supermarkets. This is done in the US too as far as I know.

So you can't just assume you can safely cook that steak to rare if you don't know how it was handled, sadly. I buy direct from a farmer and know for sure that her butcher doesn't do that, so I love my bloody steaks, but it's something to be aware of if you're buying at the meat counter (particularly on cheaper cuts).

Oooooh thats an interesting point.
                      "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravyboat View Post
                        Well, personally, I am just not appetized by the idea of chewing on a used tampon or anything else that seems to approximate that experience. Steak tastes like menstrual blood to me, and my response to that is: NOPE
                        lolol
                        beautiful
                        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                        lol

Comment

• I'm currently into my second week of Primal eating. I have, numerous times, explained the Primal way of eating to SO.

This morning after a filling breakfast of bacon and eggs topped with hollandaise sauce, I ask him if he wants anything else. (Tall men seem to have tall appetites.) I rattle off a list of things that wouldn't take too long to prep.

When I get to avocados, he looks at me and asks: "Did cavemen even know how to open those?"

*headdesk*
                          "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."-Winston Churchill

"Keep Calm and Carry On"-British Wartime Poster

"Don't Panic"
                          -H2G2

Comment

• Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                            i am in your office, shifting your paradigm
                            win :-)
                            Last edited by SteveO; 10-27-2012, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• Discussing Paleo on FB tonight and a woman chimes in that cave men did not eat meat, they were Vegetarians till farming came along and taught them how to kill animals......... sigh. Steak should be warmed to room temp, walked past the fire and slapped on a plate. if it gets hotter than that you have over cooked it for me.
                              Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

• Burn her, burn her to the ground.
                                Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Comment

Working...
                                X