• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mmm. Grass-fed fish.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravyboat View Post
      Mmm. Grass-fed fish.
      LOL... actually, if you eat any tilapia it almost qualifies since it gill filters algae.
      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• I got my height/weight BF% measured by a BUPA consultant woman. I got 19.2% which I was pleased with (I'm a chick). I told the woman i'd like to get to about 18% and gain muscle. Her expression was all shocked and she said 'oh no you shouldn't do that'. I asked why. She told me 'because you'll stop menstrating'.

Face/desk. Seriously? Its not like i'm already super cut. It's not like I told her I wanted to lose weight! I did actually say that I didn't believe a woman loses her period until she gets to about 12% or lower ( I think?), but she shrugged this off and told me I shouldn't go any lower and that I was 'underweight' with regards to BF%.

Wow, well done BUPA. Maybe they shouldn't be hiring overweight old ladies to provide people with body comp advice.
        The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goosejuggler View Post
          I got my height/weight BF% measured by a BUPA consultant woman. I got 19.2% which I was pleased with (I'm a chick). I told the woman i'd like to get to about 18% and gain muscle. Her expression was all shocked and she said 'oh no you shouldn't do that'. I asked why. She told me 'because you'll stop menstrating'.

Face/desk. Seriously? Its not like i'm already super cut. It's not like I told her I wanted to lose weight! I did actually say that I didn't believe a woman loses her period until she gets to about 12% or lower ( I think?), but she shrugged this off and told me I shouldn't go any lower and that I was 'underweight' with regards to BF%.

Wow, well done BUPA. Maybe they shouldn't be hiring overweight old ladies to provide people with body comp advice.
          To be fair, that is a vaild concern. When I hit 18% BF I lost my period. It depends on the person, really.
          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
            To be fair, that is a vaild concern. When I hit 18% BF I lost my period. It depends on the person, really.
            Really? I thought it had to be a lot lower for that to happen. Does it have anything to do with height and overall weight?

Comment

• The real question is this: if a man got fat enough would the excess estrogen caused by said fat induce a hormonal cycle similar to that experienced by women of reproductive age?
              Or, in layman's terms, could angry fat guys just be PMSing?
              In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Really? I thought it had to be a lot lower for that to happen. Does it have anything to do with height and overall weight?
                Idk. But my body is medium-framed, so less fat would be worse for my body due to higher density and fat needs for adequate cell health. I also get stressed easily, so any additional stress such as lower BF % would worsen the stress and make me lose my period. It really depends.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
                  The real question is this: if a man got fat enough would the excess estrogen caused by said fat induce a hormonal cycle similar to that experienced by women of reproductive age?
                  I always wondered the same thing XD

Comment

• Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                    Idk. But my body is medium-framed, so less fat would be worse for my body due to higher density and fat needs for adequate cell health. I also get stressed easily, so any additional stress such as lower BF % would worsen the stress and make me lose my period. It really depends.
                    Hmm. I'm quite petite (hahaha, I'm short!) and not easily stressed, so I've no idea. I guess I'll just keep LHT and eating PB and cross that bridge when I get there

Comment

Hmm. I'm quite petite (hahaha, I'm short!) and not easily stressed, so I've no idea. I guess I'll just keep LHT and eating PB and cross that bridge when I get there
                      Sounds good that you are listening to your body. I am just saying that the lady you talked to actually might something there in terms of saying how your period can disappear.

Comment

Some women it's 18%, some can get below 15% and still menstruate (but as they get below 15% most women will lose their periods). Once you get below 13% as a woman, you're getting into essential body fat range, and very few women can maintain that for long--you're talking competition day cut for a bodybuilder.

But I think the research on fertility shows that for most women, being much under 18-20% will impair one's ability to conceive. That only matters much if you're really trying hard to get preggers, though.
                        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
                          The real question is this: if a man got fat enough would the excess estrogen caused by said fat induce a hormonal cycle similar to that experienced by women of reproductive age?
                          yes, sad but yes
                          Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                          Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                          Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

• My husband just started a new job yesterday and has to be out of town for the first two weeks.
                            I woke up to this text message "I don't know if its funny or sad when I see all these giant fat bodies carrying around huge bags of mini cupcakes" I can totally picture it...

Also, My local pharmacy now pushes candy and cookies on everyone at checkout. I'm SO OBVIOUSLY very pregnant, and I really didn't mean to glare at her when she suggested I eat a cookie. I know it's up to each of us to say no to sweets, and they are just trying to do their job and push sales... but they should really pay attention to who they are pushing that garbage on.
                            Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

Comment

• I read an article saying the average American throws away 4.5 lb of trash per DAY. My first thought was "how the HELL can you go through that much meat (styrofoam packing), veggies (ends and trimmings), and toilet paper?"
                              Then I remembered that not everyone ate like us.
                              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                              My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Owly View Post
                                Some women it's 18%, some can get below 15% and still menstruate (but as they get below 15% most women will lose their periods). Once you get below 13% as a woman, you're getting into essential body fat range, and very few women can maintain that for long--you're talking competition day cut for a bodybuilder.

But I think the research on fertility shows that for most women, being much under 18-20% will impair one's ability to conceive. That only matters much if you're really trying hard to get preggers, though.
                                Which is exactly why most body fat testing must be bunk. I had mine tested many times by many different people in many different places over about 5 years when I was in college and a bit beyond, and it always, always registered 12-13% on the calipers. Anyone could look at me and know it wasn't true. I was fit & healthy & strong, and very lean from the waist up, but had some definite thighs. The problem is, calipers don't measure where I store fat (especially top outside of thighs & rear & back of hips). So they're nonsense.

I conceived easily at that weight/bodyfat%, and when I dropped another 15lb and even more body fat a few years later, conceived easily again.

The only thing I could imagine working well would be something like water tank displacement, maybe?
                                5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                                Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                                Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                                Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                                ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Working...
                                X