Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Corvidae View Post
    Yes, but, if you're camping....you gotta get marshmallows. Its sacrilegious not to ;D

Although I do wish they came in smaller bags, cause yeah I just want to roast and enjoy a couple. But noooooo, I always find myself finishing most of the bag by myself xP
    I roast little bacon wrapped steaks.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

• Google "Vegan" again if you haven't in the past few months. It used to bring up the real thing, photos of bald skeletons. Now it's been altered by the powers that be to show scrawny but marginally healthy-looking girls in bikinis and super buff guys with massive muscles. Bwah-hah-hah. They censor everything!
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• for some reason raising food choice to the level of religion makes me roll my eyes. however since getting the proper O3/O6 ratio and lowering my blood glucose level, most things make me roll my eyes LOL
        Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
        Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
        Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
          Along that same line... I wonder if roasting bacon-wrapped scallops would work? They're about the right shape

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaradel View Post
            Along that same line... I wonder if roasting bacon-wrapped scallops would work? They're about the right shape
            Probably but I prefer steak.
            In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
              My mind immediately twisted this to bacon-wrapped marshmallows :O
              "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

• Originally posted by Corvidae View Post
                Yes, but, if you're camping....you gotta get marshmallows. Its sacrilegious not to ;D

Although I do wish they came in smaller bags, cause yeah I just want to roast and enjoy a couple. But noooooo, I always find myself finishing most of the bag by myself xP
                Yea I agree...but labeling them to make the sound healthy....lol
                Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                PS
                Don't forget to play!

Comment

• Not a CW moment but an awesome one IMHO.
                  Was driving down to Yellowstone and a series of signs on the fence
                  Diet
                  Not
                  Working?
                  Change it.
                  Eat
                  Montana Beef!
                  Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                  PS
                  Don't forget to play!

Comment

• Was at a family reunion/vacation this past week. Apart from being hassled by old, overweight people when I never made any special requests and did my best not to put anyone out with my dietary needs (I just didn't take any bread/pasta/etc...), it was a fun trip. Most of the family stayed in one large cottage. My sister-in-law, who is a wonderful mother and person was involved in an interaction with her three-year-old son which really caught my attention. He knew that there were popsicles in the freezer and requested the bright, frozen goodness for his breakfast one morning. My sis (again, a great person who I love), turned to him and said something along the lines of, "No, there's too much sugar in those popsicles. They aren't for breakfast. Sit down and have a bowl of Cocoa Crispies." Total carbohydrates in one popsicle: 4 grams. Total carbohydrates in one serving of Cocoa Crispies: 27 grams. When he finished up the cereal, he had some blueberry bread and part of a Danish. After breakfast that kid took off like a bat out of hell. He was doing crazy ninja moves and sprinting around for about an hour. After that, came the crying and the eventual nap.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaradel View Post
                      They're delicious and super easy to make under the broiler. It helps if you cook the bacon a little beforehand to ensure that it's cooked thoroughly, unless you like it a little chewy.
                      Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                        They're delicious and super easy to make under the broiler. It helps if you cook the bacon a little beforehand to ensure that it's cooked thoroughly, unless you like it a little chewy.
                        Meh, I'll eat bacon any way. I've even had it where some parts somehow managed to avoid being cooked completely.

Comment

• The Boyfriend got his Reader's Digest in the mail this week. Yes, we're that old.

Anyway, there's an ad for Victoza, a diabetes med, that features Paula Deen. In the ad, it mentions that the once-daily injectible can cause (among other things) thyroid tumors, thyroid cancer and pancreatitis. Sounds great...

Literally only 8 pages later, there's a 2 page Q&A with a couple of "health experts" the first of whom is a registered dietician and certified diabetes instructor. The other (Campbell) is president of health care and education at the American Diabetes Association. You're gonna love this:

Q: Paula Deen adds butter by the stick to her meals. Did she get dabetes because of her diet?

A: "Deen's recipes are high in saturated fat, which triggers inflammation and can lead to insulin resistance. But the way she cooks is not the only reason she developed the disease... Many hereditary and lifestyle factors - high cholesterol or blood pressure, inactivity, and family history - can raise your chances." Campbell adds "People with diabetes should get less than 7% of calories from saturated fat, or about 15 grams per day (one tablespoon of butter has about 7 grams)."

Q: I read that Deen ditched her staple sweet tea after her diagnosis. Is that because sugar causes diabetes?

A: "Sugar doesn't 'give' you diabetes, but there's one caveat: A study presented at the American Heart Association Scentific Sessions last year found that women who drank 2 or more sugary drinks a day, even if they were a normal weight, were more likely to develop abnormal levels of fasting glucose - a sign of diabetes. 'Liquid sugar may work differently from other sugar' explains Campbell. 'It seems to start a cycle that increases visceral fat, which can lead to metabolic syndrome, a precursor to type 2 diabetes.' Be mindful of how many sugar beverages you sip, especially if you have other diabetes risk factors, advises Campbell."

Q: Preaching portion control, Deen has said "It's not what you're eating but how much." So I can enjoy whatever I want, if I only have a little?

A: " 'As a dietician, I'm trained to tell you there's no food you can never eat' says Campbell. 'While that's true, you can't eat whatever you want, whenever you want - even if it's only a little. So if you want fried chicken or mac and cheese, you can have a small portion of it, but not often.' Most other times, it's important to make healthy choices and balance nutrients. An easy way to do that: Divide your plate into sections. Fill half with vegetables (such as leafy greens, tomatoes and carrots), use a quarter for healthy carb (whole-grain pasta or rice) and add lean protein (chicken, sirloin or fish) to the remaining quarter. Finish with a piece of fresh fruit."

While I don't think the plate idea is too terrible, assuming you DON'T eat the whole-grain pasta, and I get that liquid sugar is sneaky as hell because you get even less of the "satiated" feel after all of the calories, seriously... the rest of the article is utter horse pucky. They also mention that Paula has cheat days once a week (rice and gravy, country-fried steak, butter bean soup and mac and cheese) and has "made healthy swaps" by eating whole-grain pasta "to reduce fat". That's supposedly how she has gotten leaner and made progress in her fight against diabetes.

ARGH!!!
                          Durp.

Comment

• Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                            The Boyfriend got his Reader's Digest in the mail this week. Yes, we're that old.

Anyway, there's an ad for Victoza, a diabetes med, that features Paula Deen. In the ad, it mentions that the once-daily injectible can cause (among other things) thyroid tumors, thyroid cancer and pancreatitis. Sounds great...

Literally only 8 pages later, there's a 2 page Q&A with a couple of "health experts" the first of whom is a registered dietician and certified diabetes instructor. The other (Campbell) is president of health care and education at the American Diabetes Association. You're gonna love this:

Q: Paula Deen adds butter by the stick to her meals. Did she get dabetes because of her diet?

A: "Deen's recipes are high in saturated fat, which triggers inflammation and can lead to insulin resistance. But the way she cooks is not the only reason she developed the disease... Many hereditary and lifestyle factors - high cholesterol or blood pressure, inactivity, and family history - can raise your chances." Campbell adds "People with diabetes should get less than 7% of calories from saturated fat, or about 15 grams per day (one tablespoon of butter has about 7 grams)."

<snip>

ARGH!!!
                            Still trying to figure out how supposedly intelligent people think that saturated fat triggers insulin resistance... SMH

But what do I know, supposedly my 40 lbs of weight loss is just water weight. /sarcasm

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                              The Boyfriend got his Reader's Digest in the mail this week. Yes, we're that old.

Q: I read that Deen ditched her staple sweet tea after her diagnosis. Is that because sugar causes diabetes?

A: "Sugar doesn't 'give' you diabetes, but there's one caveat: A study presented at the American Heart Association Scentific Sessions last year found that women who drank 2 or more sugary drinks a day, even if they were a normal weight, were more likely to develop abnormal levels of fasting glucose - a sign of diabetes. 'Liquid sugar may work differently from other sugar' explains Campbell. 'It seems to start a cycle that increases visceral fat, which can lead to metabolic syndrome, a precursor to type 2 diabetes.' Be mindful of how many sugar beverages you sip, especially if you have other diabetes risk factors, advises Campbell."

Q: Preaching portion control, Deen has said "It's not what you're eating but how much." So I can enjoy whatever I want, if I only have a little?

A: " 'As a dietician, I'm trained to tell you there's no food you can never eat' says Campbell. 'While that's true, you can't eat whatever you want, whenever you want - even if it's only a little. So if you want fried chicken or mac and cheese, you can have a small portion of it, but not often.' Most other times, it's important to make healthy choices and balance nutrients. An easy way to do that: Divide your plate into sections. Fill half with vegetables (such as leafy greens, tomatoes and carrots), use a quarter for healthy carb (whole-grain pasta or rice) and add lean protein (chicken, sirloin or fish) to the remaining quarter. Finish with a piece of fresh fruit."

While I don't think the plate idea is too terrible, assuming you DON'T eat the whole-grain pasta, and I get that liquid sugar is sneaky as hell because you get even less of the "satiated" feel after all of the calories, seriously... the rest of the article is utter horse pucky. They also mention that Paula has cheat days once a week (rice and gravy, country-fried steak, butter bean soup and mac and cheese) and has "made healthy swaps" by eating whole-grain pasta "to reduce fat". That's supposedly how she has gotten leaner and made progress in her fight against diabetes.

ARGH!!!
                              I almost cried after reading this.

Comment

• Morning Mashups | Raspberry Swirl
                                these. being touted as a "healthy" breakfast. *SMH*
                                I keep seeing "healthy lunch" sites with ideas for people w/ school-age kids... and I have yet to see anything I'd consider truly healthy... usually some sandwich w/sides of crackery-type kibble and sugar-type kibble... sometimes some veggies or fruits.

Also, years ago (after I'd lost 50lbs doing non-primal VLC), I met up with a friend who I hadn't seen in awhile... he went on and on (and on and on) about how great I looked - healthy, vibrant, yadda yadda... but as soon as I said "modified atkins" he said "you know that's HORRIBLE for you, right?" I just kind of said "um, yeah, sure."...
                                These days I'd probably go into a lecture about sugar and processed foods (yes, I did Atkins. no, I didn't use bars/shakes/crap frankenfood, and the more I thought about it, the more I reduced/nixed fake sugars, soy, and other crap), and actually call him out on the fact that he was saying how healthy I looked less than 90sec earlier... but my 23 year old self just wasn't there yet, I suppose... still makes me *facepalm* when I think about his comment.
                                Last edited by PrimalMama; 08-11-2012, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X