No announcement yet.

Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huh. I just posted that idea as a "wouldn't it be cool if . . ." but you guys really like it. OutdoorAmy- where are you in Colorado? If you're anywhere near the Springs, any interest in dealing with the *shudder* people part of it?

FabBecky- I'm not leaving the West, but you are right, college students would make great slave labor- er- summer help. I hadn't thought about using them as interns.

Not that I'm making solid plans yet, but . . .

Billp- I want to buy the land because I'm a control freak and I want to know that all the repairs I make will remain in place long enough to actually do some good. In the end, I'd be using the people to repair the land, not the other way around.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• Originally posted by Fabbecky View Post
      Okay, land - I highly recommend the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York. Especially the Canandaigua/Keuka/Seneca Lake area.
      The Finger Lakes always remind me of this:
      Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Cold Opening: Lawrence Welk
      Healthy Bucket List:
      • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
      • Hike the Appalachian Trail
      • Do a real pull-up
      • Run a 5k
      • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Comment

• Originally posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
        Yeah that's slightly more Thousand Island/Adirondak region on the east side of the state Finger Lakes is more middle /western region. Similar attitude in many many ways though
        Originally posted by L8F
        ... I drank the fermented koolaid, and am totally on board...

I'm alergic to carbs - they make me break out in fat!

Comment

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
          Billp- I want to buy the land because I'm a control freak and I want to know that all the repairs I make will remain in place long enough to actually do some good. In the end, I'd be using the people to repair the land, not the other way around.
          Then you buy the land for your own use separately and when you have both the available money and time. Buying instead of renting is no way to run a business, you need any extra capital as reserves and for setup costs. You need to clearly define with the landlord what you can do and what you can't do before you rent a site, but in general when you rent unimproved land they don't much care what you do to it, and especially the kind of things you would be doing are harmless.

You might prefer to do things by buying, but it throws a huge hammer into the workabilty of any project like this. For example, you don't know what makes a suitable site before you've done it. Remote plots of land don't change hands like townhouses - it is an illiquid market, and the next possible use for land (which is a guide to what another buyer might pay) will be significantly less valuable to him than what you would be doing. So there would likely be a spread between what you pay to buy and what you get to sell when you discover that for whatever reason the current site is unsuitable (which is about a 50% chance). If you were renting that would only be the cost of moving your stuff and setting up a new site. For buying you could lose a major chunk of capital by having to move, and would lose access to the capital between moves while you were looking for a buyer.

Really, this is a great idea. But you have to compromise to get things off the ground. No investor is going to be interested if you propose to do property investment with a wacky theme. Whereas the very low capital requirements when you rent make the business much more plausible sounding.

1. You ideal home is something you can buy when you have made some money
          2. Property investing is about buying unappreciated land, improving it and renting it out at a level that earns you a profit after mortgage and improvement costs, as well as possible long term appreciation.
          3. An entrepreneur re-arranges existing resources into a more profitable formation. He does not own those capital resources. His funds come from outside, his land and equipment is rented, and once he has it started he uses staff to operate it at a rate faster than he can do on his own it. An entrepreneur does not get caught up in the above two categories because he actually wants to make some money.

You need to decide which category you are in. From what you have said in this forum, you do not sound like you have the existing resources to be in either category 1 or 2. AFAIK they are your long term goals, but unless you can make some real money first you can't automatically just step into them.
          Last edited by billp; 05-30-2012, 08:11 AM.

Comment

• Heart disease is a matter of good versus bad luck:
            Jay Neugeboren: HDL and Sudden Death: The Heart Has Its Reasons

Comment

• You'd think a group of 16yo girls would have seen a little dude (4yo) pee on a tree and be over it. Imagine the horror at my daughter's pool party yesturday when her little brother announced he had to go potty and ran to a tree. I stopped him and sent him inside only to find out that he'd already done the deed once. I reminded them how lucky they were that he was one of the kids who actually got out of the pool to pee...

Comment

• Originally posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
                Thanks for the video. I needed a laugh to start the day. I love John Hamm.
                If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
                  You'd think a group of 16yo girls would have seen a little dude (4yo) pee on a tree and be over it. Imagine the horror at my daughter's pool party yesturday when her little brother announced he had to go potty and ran to a tree. I stopped him and sent him inside only to find out that he'd already done the deed once. I reminded them how lucky they were that he was one of the kids who actually got out of the pool to pee...
                  My oldest would go behind a tree....then turn around and pee facing everyone. Win some you lose some.
                  If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

• My little dude hasn't quite mastered the whole pants up while peeing thing and will drop trau and give everyone a bum shot. At least it's a cute one

Comment

• I posted this thread last night - I would have posted it here but it didn't really sound like "conventional wisdom" to me... more like "crackpot theory": Dieting advice FAIL

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• Originally posted by billp View Post
                        She's 19. That's a grown woman in my book. I've never found it very easy to impose my will on children of any age. You can make things available, but there is only so much you can do. Maybe she is unusually susceptible to wheat diets and insulin insensitivity? Like it says in Tom Naughton's Fat Head, you are as fat as you need to be. The fact she put on so much weight so quickly after dieting suggests this is a metabolic issue. If she ate like this it would fall off her in two years flat most probably.

She is an grown women who got where she is because her mother got her into comfort eating at the age of 5. I have to disagree with you, children should not be able to make their own choices about many things, diet being a big one. It is the parents responsibility to look after their children and make sure that they are healthy and happy, not stuffing their faces with junk. Parents need to take more responsibility and yes more controll over their children. just my opinion though

Comment

• June 1st - National Donut Day! Oy Vey...

National Donut Day | A site celebrating National Donut Day
                          It makes me sad that people are trying hard to do the right thing but failing because they have the wrong information.
                          Without question, bacon is the most interesting meat in the world, and if it were capable of original thought, we wouldn't even be having an election this November in America. We would simply appoint bacon as our forever leader and live dutifully under its rule.

Comment

• Sad CW moment for me that slapped me in the face and woke me up:

I was having some stomach issues that actually took a long time to diagnose-Gastroparesis-bummer!
                            My gastroenterologist tells me, "Don't eat raw vegetables, limit fiber, eat ALOT of "white" foods, pasta, potatoes, white bread, limit meats, etc., oh, and I do want you to lose some weight." I followed his directions, I mean he is an expert afterall. One month later I paid a visit to my general practitioner for a follow-up. She said after she saw my weight, "An 8 pound gain? Really? Is this correct?" That's what did it for me. I knew I had to do research for myself or they were going to kill me! Funny, too, I can eat raw veggies, fruits and meat with no problems thus far! It's been a year and I've lost 40 lbs and I feel great! I haven't been back to the doctor, so they have no idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by LoriBeth View Post
                              Sad CW moment for me that slapped me in the face and woke me up:

I was having some stomach issues that actually took a long time to diagnose-Gastroparesis-bummer!
                              My gastroenterologist tells me, "Don't eat raw vegetables, limit fiber, eat ALOT of "white" foods, pasta, potatoes, white bread, limit meats, etc., oh, and I do want you to lose some weight." I followed his directions, I mean he is an expert afterall. One month later I paid a visit to my general practitioner for a follow-up. She said after she saw my weight, "An 8 pound gain? Really? Is this correct?" That's what did it for me. I knew I had to do research for myself or they were going to kill me! Funny, too, I can eat raw veggies, fruits and meat with no problems thus far! It's been a year and I've lost 40 lbs and I feel great! I haven't been back to the doctor, so they have no idea.
                              Great story!! Had a similar experience. Doctor told me to eat lots of heart healthy grains, limit meat and fat, eat lots of oatmeal, etc...you know the old CW mantra. After doing this for three months, I got severely bloated, gained 10 pounds, became lethargic and to my embarrassment, got a set of Man-boobs. When I went back in, he said, 'What's going on? Did you follow my advice, did you hit the gym 20 hours a week?' Mind you, this guy was overweight and wheezed when he talked to me. Like yourself, I did the research and pulled myself back to semi-normal health starting with Sean Croxton on Undergroundwellness.com and that led to Mark's website.

That experience confirmed my suspicion that MD's are trained to do just two things: cut people open and prescribe pills. Oh, and diagnose and treat problems you don't have. Period. Congrats on your new journey.
                              "After all we did for Britain, selling all that corduroy and making it swing, and all we got was a bit of tin on a piece of leather, an MBE." --George Harrison

Comment

• I opened my email and saw that America's Test Kitchen wanted me to test a recipe for twice-baked sweet potatoes with bacon and at first I was all like WHOO! then I saw it had sandwich bread in it and I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...fine, I'll just use ground pecans or something. :P
                                Steph
                                My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Working...
                                X