No announcement yet.

Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, but caffeine works differently with ADD.

My kid learned early on as a teenager to self medicate with Mountain Dew. Actually calmed him down and helped him focus. Not saying the chemicals and the sugar and crap are good, they're a liquid train wreck, but the caffeine certainly helps a lot of kids. That's why I was thrilled to see him start drinking coffee.
    Durp.

Comment

• Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
      My parents DID give me soda to wash my ritalin down. And those horrible little orange and purple plastic mexican barrels with foil tops and sugar water that burned my throat. Sort of like these:
      What is that little character on the lid? It almost looks like a tooth, but there's no way they would try to make that a "healthy tooth" kind of food. Not even Big Ag is THAT ballsy!

Oh, and food coloring was a huge issue for my kids. Feed them Cocoa Krispies (back when I was a moron) and they were fine. Fruity Pebbles had them climbing on the celing.
      Durp.

Comment

• That's also the same reason a lot of people with ADD end up using nicotine or even stimulant drugs to self medicate. Many ADD drugs are stimulants, which is why some students abuse them around exam time.
        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

My parents DID give me soda to wash my ritalin down. And those horrible little orange and purple plastic mexican barrels with foil tops and sugar water that burned my throat. Sort of like these:
          What's with the throat burn? I remember that shit too and I also didn't like these "treats" very much, but my Mom put them in my lunch because they were easy!

Comment

• My sister suggesting my dad (who's now diabetic, no longer pre) to eat a processed sausage, instead of a ny steak/eggs, also eating gluten-littered sandwiches/pasta.
            If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

• Originally posted by pjlejialaja
              So today I got told by a friend that does medicine that PB will put me in a coma. MAN I look forward to that day.
              No doubt due to excessive party rocking.

In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

• Originally posted by lssanjose View Post
                My sister suggesting my dad (who's now diabetic, no longer pre) to eat a processed sausage, instead of a ny steak/eggs, also eating gluten-littered sandwiches/pasta.
                Ha ha, pretty much anything my sister says would qualify . . . she's a vegetarian and part-time vegan . . .

Originally posted by killme
                So today I got told by a friend that does medicine that PB will put me in a coma. MAN I look forward to that day.
                Why a coma?

I need to stop watching Dr. Oz, because he's so high on soy . . . too many eye rolls . . . though that is where I found out about Raspberry Ketone.
                Healthy Bucket List:
                • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
                • Hike the Appalachian Trail
                • Do a real pull-up
                • Run a 5k
                • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Comment

My parents DID give me soda to wash my ritalin down. And those horrible little orange and purple plastic mexican barrels with foil tops and sugar water that burned my throat.
                  You turned out OK in the end, didn't you? :-)

But I do wonder how many of us blame our parents for feeding us junk and sorry excuses for real food.
                  Guess it takes guts to say no to your society and doctors.
                  Our parents did not have MDA..
                  Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Comment

Hey, I loved those things in every flavor except red and purple (don't try to tell me they were cherry and grape, either, they weren't.) My sibling was the one on the ADHD meds, and no matter how much they kept her away from sugar, it didn't do a damn bit of difference.

Originally posted by Gilleh View Post
                    You turned out OK in the end, didn't you? :-)

But I do wonder how many of us blame our parents for feeding us junk and sorry excuses for real food.
                    Guess it takes guts to say no to your society and doctors.
                    Our parents did not have MDA..
                    We were considered well fed by CW standards: plenty of grains, veggies, lean meat, and dairy. Sugary things, chips, cake and such were considered to be rarity events, only for birthdays or holidays. We loved sweet things, but we all developed our own preferred stand in to junk food we weren't allowed to eat. I saw kids eating lunch from home of lunchables, chips, and soda, and then looking at my leftovers, juice/ water, and fruit and wondering how the hell they could eat that crap, but secretly wanting it anyways.
                    My parents did all they could to keep us healthy in the way they knew how. Any food related bad habits I have I developed after I left home.
                    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                    My Latest Journal

Comment

• I picked up some strawberries at the market and commented to the woman selling them that they would be so good with some of the heavy cream I had bought. The woman commented that I should not eat fatty foods like that. Her table had strawberries, but also sugary preserves, candies and some baked goods. She was of course, overweight by a lot. I made the comment about how I had lost about 30 lbs eating high fat and really cutting back on sugar and eliminating wheat. She just looked at me dumbly.

Then I walked over to get my pork from the slender, healthy looking woman who routinely tells me all about her family clearing up yet another large portion of fatty meat....

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                        What would I have to lose? Seriously? My land. Once I get it, I will do ANYTHING to protect my land.

I probably would do more of a "getaway" sort of thing than a "fat camp" since, as we know, everyone needs a little more health in their lives And there would be less insurance to deal with.
                        With something like that you would want to be renting the land, not owning it. With renting you can get started right away, and use the income from the guests to pay the rent. Then you are not making a hostage of yourself and you avoid having a long period of time while you get the capital together to buy. When you rent you can expand easily when things work out, and contract or up-sticks entirely if thing don't . You absolutely need that kind of flexibility starting up. It is only ever mature businesses that go to the trouble of buying their own property, specifically when they are planning on being open over thirty years on the same premisses.

I know the US is a litigious country, but I just don't see the mileage in suing a business that has trivial assets (a few animals and huts, and some hand-tools) operating on rented ground. And once you had about three satisfied customers the clients would be climbing over each other to attend and will be able to afford insurance. The one time I got sued by a stranger it was when I was driving an expensive new car with Swiss numberplates, and had just moved into a big house (by local standards 1400 sq ft is huge!) Someone pretended to have slipped on ice on my path, while crossing my property to get access to the house behind (which they can do). Once they found out they house was rented and I didn't have insurance they lost all interest, and since then I blend in better because I know the local customs and have numberplates showing me to be from this town.

For a project like this, you can market it any way you like. It is really a holiday camp or hotel/hostel with a theme, that's all. If you rent a house with the land it just looks like you have guests who help out, especially if you can find somewhere a bit out of sight with some sort of natural barrier like a hill or trees to discourage the curious. No one likes to be gawped at when they are very overweight and dripping with sweat outdoors.

If you want to do this you should get started right away and start looking for cheap land to rent, and get a website up. You can't overplan these things as a lot of the practicalities are only apparent once you are up and running.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bioletti View Post
                          That's hilarious! Helicopter parents who manage their "precious cherubs" from afar is damn right on the money. It's the equivalent of Stallone's "Stop or my mom will shoot". That would've been unthinkable in the late 60s/early 70s when I was a kid...unthinkable!
                          Might be an idea to ban computers and mobile phones and (seeing as 90% will ignore such a ban) fail to provide sufficient or working electrical outlets, preventing anyone from using a mobile phone. Being off-grid (highly likely anyway) would be a great excuse for just not having power available even with the outlets in place. You can also use a cheap generator set. Only the expensive models produce clean enough electricity for a phone charger or computer. Most are only good for power tools, kitchen appliances and lighting. No overweight child is going to walk 20 miles into town to charge their phone up. Result: no parental control at all, just like in the good old days.

Basically, only run the generator in the early morning and evening. Warn everyone the dirty power will break their phone or laptop charger. It also allows you to very effectively enforce lights out at 10.30.

Comment

• Originally posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
                            I love this camp idea. If nothing else it would be a good place for Grok parents to send their groklings for the summer knowin that they aren't going to get the normal camp canteen fare of bright orange cheese covered nachos and silly straws. Plus all the natural movement exercise - rowing, swimming, hiking, fort building all that fun camp stuff! Then it might catch on with others and the kids might recruit their friends to come along with.
                            That is also a really good point. I doesn't have to be about fat people or fat kids. Anyone going is going to have a great time outside and get stronger and healthier as a result, while eating great food. This is one of the best business ideas I have heard for a while, and is better than the various Paleo restaurants you hear about not only because it the guests will be there for long enough to get real results, but also becuase long stays need good food. - For example, normally I just don't eat out as I can eat a bigger steak for less money at home, and these days I spend enough on food as it is. When I am away I can always cheat or fast - what I did for the last four days away. If someone is away for two weeks or even a month, then not only do the metabolically damaged start getting results, but healthy people start needing real food. I needed the 2lb steak I ate last night after days of beer, bread and waffles with fake cream in Antwerp. So it would be biased towards longer stays -> higher and steadier revenue. Plus there is room for unlimited organic expansion, all the way from a few huts in the woods up to the scale of holiday camp shown in the 80s film "Dirty Dancing". (Terrible name but a much more sophisticated film than any give it credit for.)

Comment

• Just FTR, while we're on the topic, people who do the GAPs (very primal, real foods gut-healing) diet have often talked about how much they'd LOVE a place to spend the first few weeks, because when you're so ill (and getting worse temporarily from detox), it can be overwhelming to make all your food, which you really do have to do.
                              5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                              Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                              Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                              Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                              ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                                Actually, one of the instructors on the NOLS trip said that she'd love to do horsepacking with special-needs people. Obviously, not super-special needs, since it's hard work- but exposing them to nature and animals would be so very good for them. So I have in the back of my head to purchase land somewhere near a place you can pack in and kind of hand it over to her, mostly, to get it to pay for itself. Now to find the land for the initial purchase . . . Oh, and the money to purchase it
                                Okay, land - I highly recommend the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York. Especially the Canandaigua/Keuka/Seneca Lake area. Partly - beautiful farm land perfect for these ideas PLUS forests and trails and gorges and hiking PLUS the college I just graduated from has a tremendous Special Education department and the school requires students to spend basically a month doing a "Field Period" in the winter or summer so you would have a plethora of college students (some trained in nursing, outdoor education, special education, and occupational therapy) to help out during the busy summer period with the choice to pay a small stipend or have it be an unpaid internship.
                                Originally posted by L8F
                                ... I drank the fermented koolaid, and am totally on board...

I'm alergic to carbs - they make me break out in fat!

Comment

Working...
                                X