Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jaradel View Post
    Yes, yes, and yes. Really - it just shouldn't be that hard to get through the day without obsessing about food. I used to think I was broken, that there was something seriously wrong with my physiology, because I couldn't stop overeating on a LFHC eating plan. I mean, everyone (read: CW) says that's the way to eat for health and weight loss, right? So why is my stomach growling a mere half-hour after I eat a fibre-rich cereal with low-fat milk? It seems to me that food obsessions are caused by SAD/CW eating, because the body is deprived of what it really needs.
    I used to eat oatmeal every morning with my sister. Then 45 minutes later we would both be seriously hungry so I'd make us some whole grain toast. Then about 2 hours later we'd have lunch. We thought about food and ate food all day because we were constantly hungry. We actually laughed about it the other day because now I only eat once or twice a day and have no problems with constant hunger. Some days I get up and go about my day and forget to eat. CW eating absolutely caused food obsession for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Owly View Post
      There's a lot of good evidence that mindfulness and techniques such as tracking are very effective tools for people who are trying to overcome cravings and emotional eating issues.
      What is interesting is that that is also the case for anorexics. Tracking food and mindfulness causes people not to eat enough. Knowing everything about what you eat, tracking it and savouring every bite is a symptom of anorexia nervosa

Comment

• I used to eat oatmeal every morning with my sister.
        You know- I am so glad that oatmeal never filled you up. I'd eat that stuff and be hungry in an hour. No matter how much I ate. Everyone was all "hearty oatmeal keeps you full all day". I thought I was a freak of nature that found oatmeal as filling as a doughnut.

I LOVE EGGS. I love every morning eating 3 eggs and it is healthy for me! 3 eggs, bacon and some fruit and veggies and I don't eat for 12-14 hours.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• Oatmeal is filling when you have it with cream
          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
          bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Originally posted by billp View Post
            What is interesting is that that is also the case for anorexics. Tracking food and mindfulness causes people not to eat enough. Knowing everything about what you eat, tracking it and savouring every bite is a symptom of anorexia nervosa
            There are healthy and disordered forms of a lot of behaviours. I had exercise bulimia in my teens, but that does not make thoughtful, planned exercise a disorder. Also see orthorexia as compared to health-conscious eating.
            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
              I LOVE EGGS. I love every morning eating 3 eggs and it is healthy for me! 3 eggs, bacon and some fruit and veggies and I don't eat for 12-14 hours.
              Yep! That's the only thing that has worked for me! A few eggs and veggies/fruit and I'm good until dinner time. This WOE is very liberating, lol! I can't even imagine where I'd be now if I was still stuffing oatmeal into my face every morning.

Comment

• The one that drives me batty... I work at a coffee shop where we have sugar-free syrups... When parents order a kid's hot chocolate with sugar-free chocolate and non-fat milk... I want to slap them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Owly View Post
                  Argh! My partner had hypoglycemia problems his whole life, and going primal fixed it because he's stopped trying to deal with crashes by eating sugar--eating enough fat has been like magic for him.

I don't understand how CW people don't grasp that a constant rollercoaster is probably not the ideal way to live.
                  Makes you wonder why they don't suggest having drink after drink to avoid hangovers, then just keeping them coming so you avoid a drop in your blood alcohol levels. It's pretty much the same thing.
                  Durp.

Comment

• LOL, you're totally right, Rita Rose!

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                    Except that for some people, that doesn't seem to work. Satiety is great, but if a person has issues with emotional eating, that doesn't necessarily solve the whole problem.
                    That's why I said that having enough fat & protein helps the behavioral techniques to work (read: including emotional eating, if that's the person's thing). It makes it so that they stand a chance of working.

I can't believe all the lists and lists I wrote out of rules to abide by so I wouldn't end up sitting down at the computer and going through half a box of granola cereal. Even after a year primal, I still had to make lists, even though things were much better. I thought if I could just get my 'rules' right, I'd stop eating crap I didn't intend to eat.

Once I got the fat & protein down right in the morning, poof, all the things I'd always tried (don't eat while watching TV, call a friend when sad, go outside when sad, exercise, whatever whatever) were easy to do, or even better in most cases, natural to do, and I just didn't have to thin kabout it anymore.

Now I eat breakfast & dinner and good to go the whole day, no caring about food at all, ,even when I'm surrounded by SAD and/or primal delicious stuff.
                    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                      That's why I said that having enough fat & protein helps the behavioral techniques to work (read: including emotional eating, if that's the person's thing). It makes it so that they stand a chance of working.

I can't believe all the lists and lists I wrote out of rules to abide by so I wouldn't end up sitting down at the computer and going through half a box of granola cereal. Even after a year primal, I still had to make lists, even though things were much better. I thought if I could just get my 'rules' right, I'd stop eating crap I didn't intend to eat.

Once I got the fat & protein down right in the morning, poof, all the things I'd always tried (don't eat while watching TV, call a friend when sad, go outside when sad, exercise, whatever whatever) were easy to do, or even better in most cases, natural to do, and I just didn't have to thin kabout it anymore.

Now I eat breakfast & dinner and good to go the whole day, no caring about food at all, ,even when I'm surrounded by SAD and/or primal delicious stuff.
                      Ah, sorry, I misread you as meaning that all you had to do was eat right and the emotional stuff would vanish, rather than saying it would be easier to get that stuff under control. I think we actually agree--if the body is satisfied and healthy, it's a lot easier to manage the emotional bits.
                      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                        You know- I am so glad that oatmeal never filled you up. I'd eat that stuff and be hungry in an hour. No matter how much I ate. Everyone was all "hearty oatmeal keeps you full all day". I thought I was a freak of nature that found oatmeal as filling as a doughnut.
                        A tablespoon of coconut oil or butter stirred in keeps me full all morning. But I rarely eat breakfast anymore so I haven't had oatmeal in ages.
                        Sandra
                        *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

• The stupid, it burns....

7 bad foods that are actually good for you - washingtonpost.com

The article isn't all bad (praise for eggs, potatoes, red wine, and fruit), but there are some phenomenally awful sections:

Gluten and Wheat - They are “the most demonized ingredients beyond high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oil,” said Melissa Abbott, culinary director at the Hartman Group, a company specializing in consumer research.

Yet decades of studies have found that gluten-containing foods, such as whole wheat, rye and barley, are vital for good health, and are associated with a reduced risk of diabetes, heart disease, cancer and excess weight.

“Wheat is a good source of fiber, vitamins and minerals,” said Joanne Slavin, nutrition professor at the University of Minnesota. She added that the confusion about gluten, a protein, has caused some people to avoid eating wheat and other grains.

Only about 1 percent of the population, or less, cannot tolerate gluten and must eradicate it from their diet to ease abdominal pain and other symptoms, including the ability to fully absorb vitamins.
                          And if that wasn't bad enough, an indirect slam on paleo/primal:

One reason wheat-free or gluten-free diets are popular is that people who don’t eat wheat often end up bypassing excess calories in sweets and snack foods. Then they start feeling better, lose weight, and mistakenly attribute their success to gluten or wheat avoidance.
                          Well, no shit Sherlock! Stop stuffing crap into your body and you feel better! Who'da thunk it?

The article praises eggs, but there's still some fuzzy logic:

Interestingly, some of the biggest egg eaters in the world, the Japanese, have low cholesterol and heart disease rates, in part because they eat a diet low in saturated fat. In contrast, Americans eat eggs alongside sausage, bacon, and buttered toast.
                          Um....

Soy - Though popular for centuries in many Asian cuisines, soy is sometimes seen as dangerous after studies found elevated rates of breast cancer among rats when they were fed a concentrated soy derivative.

But studies looking at whole soy foods in humans have not found a connection. In fact, the reverse may be true.

Soy, “when consumed in childhood or adolescence may make breast tissue less vulnerable to cancer development later in life and probably has no effect on breast cancer risk when consumption begins in adulthood,” said Karen Collins, registered dietitian and nutrition adviser with the American Institute for Cancer Research.

Actually, Collins said, the evidence is so strong for protection against heart disease that the FDA allowed a health claim for labels on soy food products.
                          This next one is what put the dent in my forehead from rapidly hitting it on my desk:

Fried Foods - While it’s true that frying food usually increases its caloric content, that doesn’t necessarily make it unhealthful.

As long as food is fried in healthful oil instead of butter, shortening, or trans fat, and it’s eaten in moderation, it isn’t less healthy. In fact, fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K, and heart-healthy, cancer-preventive carotenoids such as beta-carotene (e.g., carrots, sweet potatoes), lycopene (e.g., tomatoes) and lutein/zeaxanthin (deep-green leafy vegetables such as spinach and kale), need fat in order to be absorbed by the body.

“The consumption of certain fats, such as saturated fatty acids and trans fatty acids [fats that are solid at room temperature], is associated with an . . . increased risk of cardiovascular disease. On the other hand, the unsaturated fats, monounsaturated fatty acids and polyunsaturated fatty acids [canola, safflower and olive oils] have significant metabolic benefits and are health promoting,” said the 2010 U.S. Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee.
                          I have no words.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• I don't usually post on here, but I just had to share this! I overheard a conversation between two guys at a coffee shop his morning. The one was talking about how he had to start taking supplements for vitamin D deficiency. The other guy said, "Just slap on some sunscreen and go outside!" It was all I could do not to say, "Actually..."

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post

Oh, Mama Grok, I am so glad to hear that this is coming together for you. I remember when your "binge free since<date>" item in your sig used to reset every few days. I'm so happy for you.

Comment

• I never ate breakfast when I was a kid because it was either oatmeal (yuck) or fake Cheerios with non-fat dry milk. Why the non-fat dry milk? It was cheap.

I was hungry before I left the kitchen. So I quit eating breakfast. Years later I discovered fried eggs in butter. Just two of those and I was good for hours.

Even now, though I generally eat breakfast (eggs or a pork chop or a steak), I don't eat again for 7 or 8 hours and rarely eat dinner.

Comment

Working...
                                X