Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My answer is usually that I eat fruit seasonally, in the amounts that would be available if there were no bananaplanes.
    Are those like bananaphones?


    Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Thanks for pointing out something so missed in our society - having an animal that doesn't work for its keep is a LUXURY. I'm so tired of neighbors griping that my cat is outdoors staring at their precious birdfeeder groupies, and "OH how dangerous it is for a cat to be outside!!" Maybe they should take a close look at how the mouse problem around here has disappeared! Some of them are actually appalled at the thought that a cat might kill and eat something. Raw. Not kidding, they were appalled.
    I am a cat person. I love cats, have grown up with them, and our longest running family cat was an indoor/outdoor cat. But as a biolgist, I have to say that outdoor and/or feral cats CAN have pretty bad impacts on local ecologies, decimating native birds, rodents, and small animals. Yes they are predators, i have no problem with that; in fact, their entire "Job" in human society has always been to hunt such pests from around human dwellings. As such, we have selectively bred the ones with the best hunting drive for thousands of years, leading us with little pet predators who have a much higher drive to hunt than simple hunger would allow. Compound this with people not spay/neutering their cats so they set up wild populations that wander much farther away from human areas (where their talents are actually needed) and thats where the problem begins.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

    My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

    Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by sires6 View Post
      Horse meat is not treated with the care that beef is. People worm and vaccinate their horses much more than cattle people, rendering horse meat not safe to eat.
      Does that make them less safe to eat? I ate loads of horse in Switz, all of it imported from the US.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Corvidae View Post
        But as a biolgist, I have to say that outdoor and/or feral cats CAN have pretty bad impacts on local ecologies, decimating native birds, rodents, and small animals. Yes they are predators, i have no problem with that; in fact, their entire "Job" in human society has always been to hunt such pests from around human dwellings. As such, we have selectively bred the ones with the best hunting drive for thousands of years, leading us with little pet predators who have a much higher drive to hunt than simple hunger would allow. Compound this with people not spay/neutering their cats so they set up wild populations that wander much farther away from human areas (where their talents are actually needed) and thats where the problem begins.
        Yeah, that's not the problem. I live in suburbia in an area where there are zero feral cats or dogs, and zero that aren't spayed or neutered, while there is an overabundance of 100% unneutered squirrels, chipmunks, mice, and yes, because we're near a very narrow, but long, national park, even occasional rattlesnakes, coyotes, & foxes. Oh, and owls, falcons, and hawks that occasionally swoop down and swipe toy dogs out of their strollers - not kidding.

        So my cat is helping, not hurting. Their complaint is not an ecological one; it's that it's "gross" to see a cat stare hungrily at a cardinal, and unimaginably disgusting to imagine it eating a raw chipmunk.
        5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
        Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
        Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
        Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
        ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

        Comment


        • Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
          Their complaint is not an ecological one; it's that it's "gross" to see a cat stare hungrily at a cardinal, and unimaginably disgusting to imagine it eating a raw chipmunk.
          Ahhh, yeaaah. Thats the sort of mindset that leads to people feeding their carnivore pets (literally, cats and dogs are in the Order Carnivora!!) vegan diets. I saw a sign on a store recently advertising that they now had vegan dogfood. i wanted to punch through the glass.

          My boyfriends cat caught a bird last year. My boyfriend was napping on the couch and woke up to the sound of terrible bird-screams. The cat dragged it shrieking through the house, shedding feathers everywhere, my boyfriend chasing after him. The bird stopped shrieking within a few minutes, dying likely from terror as much as anything else. The cat, of course, was pleased as pie.

          My boyfriend was pretty shaken up, and I was kind of sad when I heard the story cause the bird was a towhee (I like towhees), but we still give mad props to the cat because he is an INDOOR ONLY CAT and was able to catch a bird from INSIDE THE HOUSE.

          ....Crap this is devolving into pet talk again isnt it?
          "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

          My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

          Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

          Comment


          • A horse is too smart to be put through the process of being raised for food.
            ? Healthy horses get slaughtered all the time in the US (well, not in the US, but in Canada or Mexico). It's where a lot of slow racehorses go... among other breeds. But you could raise a horse like a cow- start in a pasture, end on a feedlot and they aren't going to resist that somehow.

            A lot of breeders overproduce horses in hopes of getting a valuable performance animal but knowing that any that don't cut it can be cut off the feed tab by going to auction, and likely slaughter.

            http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
              ? Healthy horses get slaughtered all the time in the US (well, not in the US, but in Canada or Mexico). It's where a lot of slow racehorses go... among other breeds. But you could raise a horse like a cow- start in a pasture, end on a feedlot and they aren't going to resist that somehow.

              A lot of breeders overproduce horses in hopes of getting a valuable performance animal but knowing that any that don't cut it can be cut off the feed tab by going to auction, and likely slaughter.
              Also, horses are not actually all that smart. They're very trainable and work well with humans, but that's not the same thing.
              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

              Owly's Journal

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Corvidae View Post
                Are those like bananaphones?
                Yes, which are descendant of the Coconut Telegraph. See, being a former Parrothead does come in handy.
                If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

                Comment


                • Jillian's Health plan for Leslie

                  I like the part where she says "I do not want you eating processed foods" and then it cuts to a shot of some cupcakes that are on her meal plan.

                  Health Action Plan to Promote Weight Loss Video
                  Last edited by Milty; 05-18-2012, 03:53 AM.

                  Comment


                  • I thought you meant that they cut to a picture of a cupcake for an example of processd foods, not an example of the frigging meal plan!
                    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

                    Comment


                    • I have another one...its a facebook interaction. I posted a pic of my Bacon that I was cooking. My friend comments and says:you temptress! I'm trying so hard on my diet and this is killing me! I'm like:havent you read any of the links I sent you on my diet?? Bacon is fine. She says:i know I read it but I have a weight watchers mindset I can't get out of. I said:well, as long as that works for you. And she says:it doesn't. I repliedwith a ..........


                      Like she knows my diet, knows weight watchers doesn't work, but can't give up the grains! So dense! That has to be my biggest complaint when people bitch and moan about their size or dieting and when I tell them what worked for me they freak " no no no I could NEVER do that!!!!!!!!!!!!"

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Corvidae View Post
                        Compound this with people not spay/neutering their cats so they set up wild populations that wander much farther away from human areas (where their talents are actually needed) and thats where the problem begins.
                        Crap, yes.

                        As much as I understand wanting to feed hungry animals, they just don't understand that they're making the problem worse. Feeding feral cats makes them much more likely to breed, and that means kittens that don't ever get spayed or neutered unless they're caught by Animal Control. Then those kittens grow, aided by well-intentioned but uninformed people that leave food out, and since food is abundant, they breed even more.

                        Drives me nuts when I'm walking around a neighborhood and every 4th or 5th house has bowls of cat food left out for the strays.
                        Durp.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
                          I thought you meant that they cut to a picture of a cupcake for an example of processd foods, not an example of the frigging meal plan!
                          My bad. Fixed

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by weathergirl View Post
                            I have another one...its a facebook interaction. I posted a pic of my Bacon that I was cooking. My friend comments and says:you temptress! I'm trying so hard on my diet and this is killing me! I'm like:havent you read any of the links I sent you on my diet?? Bacon is fine. She says:i know I read it but I have a weight watchers mindset I can't get out of. I said:well, as long as that works for you. And she says:it doesn't. I repliedwith a ..........


                            Like she knows my diet, knows weight watchers doesn't work, but can't give up the grains! So dense! That has to be my biggest complaint when people bitch and moan about their size or dieting and when I tell them what worked for me they freak " no no no I could NEVER do that!!!!!!!!!!!!"
                            I've only been doing this 2 weeks and i've come across this a few times already!! People are impressed with the way my blood sugars have stabilised and the weight is falling off but their eyes glaze over at the thought of doing it themselves. I know quite a few people on weightwatchers, and it isn't working for them, but they won't consider giving this a go. However, one of my friends is having a go this week, i can't wait to see how she gets on.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by billp View Post
                              Does that make them less safe to eat? I ate loads of horse in Switz, all of it imported from the US.
                              Uhh, actually, yes, they are not safe to eat. The chemicals and wormers and such are not deemed human safe. Beef, whether grass fed or raised in a feed lot is actually chemically treated with care. Same with dairy cows. With the crap US citizens put in their horses, you wouldn't catch me eating it. And we did live in Europe for a while.

                              As to the cat thing, the number one predator in the WORLD, is the domesticated house cat. That being said, put a cat, properly cared for in a biologically diverse area like a FARM and it will do it's job, hunting and killing rodentia and protecting the farm from disease.

                              That being said, I can't say enough about how the modern cat is allowed to run rampant and decimate wild populations of birds (many endangered and going on extinct) and small mammals. I detest "feral cat populations" they are an invention of modern luxury society. Dogs and other predators kept the cats in check, while the cats kept the rats in check.

                              We can't have cats as my husband and I are both allergic. I use mouse traps (where there is chicken food, there are mice) and a good rat dog.
                              The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
                              Psalms 144:15

                              Annie Sires

                              Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
                              Pope John Paul II

                              Comment


                              • Friend: Just had a chicken omelette, 6 whites, one yolk.

                                Me: *crying. The fact that people still buy into this only eat the egg white bit is highly amusing to me.

                                Friend: *goes off and reads a little about eggs. It would seem that the yolks have good cholesterol.
                                Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

                                https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X