No announcement yet.

Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny CW moment: every time someone thinks I don't eat meat....

Comment

• Originally posted by <archer> View Post
      Funny CW moment: every time someone thinks I don't eat meat....
      Yeah, wtf? I told someone that I didn't eat wheat, and she in turn assumed that I was a vegetarian. -.-
      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• Seen today a set of dips and chutneys made with 'extra virgin canola oil'.

Nice.
        My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

Comment

• Originally posted by sires6 View Post
          On another note, my thoroughly entrenched in-laws are coming in 2 weeks and my thoroughly CW and diabetic mother is coming today. What to feed them? It's not that I can't feed them, it's that I don't want to hear the whining about "we should only have 1 egg a week, cholesterol is bad for us" (we raise our own chickens, goats for meat, turkeys, ducks and geese) or "we don't eat that kind of food" comments ad nauseum.
          Just serve them what you eat and then comment on their lack of stomach aches later in the week. Or lie and say the eggs are substitutes.
          In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

• Originally posted by billp View Post
            They are both in their mid-sixties. I predict both will be dead before their 70th birthday, if they carry on with the vegan stuff. Normal vegans/vegetarians never see their sixtieth birthday, but in their case they only took it up late.

It is their daughter I feel sorry for. She doesn't have any kids yet, and when she does her children are unlikely to know their maternal grandparents.
            I really do take objection to this. My mother and step-father have been vegetarian for 20 years. Both in their sixties. They are fit and active. No they're not the pillars of health that they might be if they'd been primal for that time but they're a long way from death yet. Would you count in their 40s as starting late?

Their health isn't perfect but they're fit and active if recent years are anything to do by - they're still a long way from their coffins. I'm working with my mother re diet, but it's tinkering stuff because there's no moving away from the fact that their religion prevents them from consuming meat.

Actually these conversations with my mother led to a funny moment the other day (whilst waiting for my stepdad, stepsister and her husband to turn up on their lunch stop during a 55 mile cycle across mid-devon/dartmoor) where my mum told me that they're using oil olive for low temperature cooking and rapeseed oil for high temperature cooking (she's taken on board my rants about general vegetable oils). I pointed out that rapeseed oil is rubbish too. She looked crestfallen and tried to argue that no it's good. So I asked where she'd heard that because it was probably from the people who produce the stuff. She conceded.

Got a work story too. Actually two.
            1) my team leader is diabetic. Type one. Recently she made us all bacon rolls and brought in some chocolates in reward for having been the best team in our centre. She served up all the rolls and someone offered her one back but she refused because she didn't want to have to inject insulin again. And then she sat and ate some of the chocolates. (I changed teams after about a month of primal. I had my old team leader trained to serve me bacon on its own, new team leader just won't learn(
            2) please don't judge me for the politics on this one but I was on the picket line today as my union was on strike. I took bacon to share. My best friend at work is also one of our union reps so he was there too. After 6 months of treating me like I'm crazy because I eat bacon without bread he scoffed not just one piece but two. This is my lovely friend who acts all offended when I suggest he gives up pasta and claims it would be against his heritage (he's half italian). And I suspect I will have many more stories to tell about him because writing this out brings more to mind.

Right, back to catching up on the last 40 pages.

Comment

• Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
              Yeah, wtf? I told someone that I didn't eat wheat, and she in turn assumed that I was a vegetarian. -.-
              ????????????????????????
              Durp.

Comment

• GOTD: sunburn started peeling and now I have raw spots.. owie
                Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silky View Post
                  Seen today a set of dips and chutneys made with 'extra virgin canola oil'.

Nice.
                  Not possible. All canola oil is fucked thus cannot claim virginity, "extra" or otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by <archer> View Post
                    Funny CW moment: every time someone thinks I don't eat meat....
                    No kidding.

Drummer in our band: Is that COLD CUTS I see you eating??!!
                    DH (the sax): Yes..
                    Me: Of course! We're totally meat eaters. It's pastured pork, of course...
                    Drummer: I thought you were all healthy and stuff.
                    Me: We are. That's why we eat so much meat. Ted, don't you remember coming to our house where we stuffed everyone full of smoked grassfed brisket and smoked pastured pork shoulder?
                    Drummer: Oh, yeah...

People hear something that gives the impression you're a "healthy eater" and what registers in their mind is, of course, vegetarian. :headdesk: What a woild, what a woild!
                    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Lady in the next check-out lane to mine was buying five dozen eggs. The bagger remarked to the checker, "Look at all these eggs. So much cholesterol!"
                      Yum, cholesterol, is what I say. Bring it on.
                      (And yes, the bagger was pot-bellied. The egg-buyer was trim. Not that it's all due to the eggs. But....)

Comment

• A couple of chickens can fit in a cage (and do well, mind you) like a hutch that you would fit a rabbit in, and the modern breeds will produce approximately 800 eggs/bird over the bird's lifetime of about 11 years. More early, less later.

We have a meat goat (Boer/Kiko cross called a Texas cross or Genemaster) and three Pygmy goats. They take a yard about the size of a very small back yard, about 30 by 30. Most farm animals are hardy and don't require much space.

All my birds (meat ducks, laying ducks, geese, turkeys - OMG you cannot believe how good a heritage turkey tastes, Guinea fowl) all totaling about 40 birds, in a 25 by 25 pen with a small storage building serving as coop. They are healthy, happy and make the most fantastic eggs and delicious offspring for consumption. The real problem is usually city regulations. Most city dwellers can have hens, but you don't need a rooster anyway to have eggs. And many cities say you can have 5 , 12 or even 20 hens in your dwelling. Two hens will begin laying at around 21 weeks and will lay 1-2 eggs a day for their first year and then 1 every day or other day after that. They can live up to 15 years. And they're fun to watch.

As for butchering, I am close to a guy who will butcher a chicken for 2 bucks and a turkey for 3 and has a fast plucker. Means he gets the dirty part. I know how to do it, but it takes longer for me and is messier without the plucker.

As for butchering the goats, I have a neighbor a few miles away that has cattle (grassfed, lovely beef and makes his own amazing sausage) and so he will help me butcher when the time comes. Wafer (the meat goat) will be slaughtered at around 8-12 months and he will dress out at about 150 lbs, of course I will in actuality get more like 200 lbs or more, because I will also take the bones and lovely organs and just about anything I can from him, whereas many butchers only give you the meat, no or few organs.

Oh, in case you all think I am somewhere in SE MO or the outback or something, I live in the DC Metropolitan area, just outside the Beltway. Less than 20 miles from the "Big City". Washington National Airport's airplanes turn for final almost over my house. You don't have to have 100 acres and live in the boonies to raise your own food and it's often easier to do than keeping a cat or dog (I have three of them).

If any of you have any questions, PM me and I will gladly answer.
                        The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
                        Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
                        Pope John Paul II

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                          Lady in the next check-out lane to mine was buying five dozen eggs. The bagger remarked to the checker, "Look at all these eggs. So much cholesterol!"
                          Yum, cholesterol, is what I say. Bring it on.
                          (And yes, the bagger was pot-bellied. The egg-buyer was trim. Not that it's all due to the eggs. But....)
                          Lol, every week I buy five dozen eggs at a local produce store, and the cashier at the time always asks me if I'm baking XD
                          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• Whenever I make my 30lb butcher purchases they always comment "That's a lot of meat! Are you feeding an army? Having a big party? What's up?" I tell them it's just my meat for the month. The next question is always "How many people are you feeding? 3? 4?"

No... just me. A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away, y'all.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Comment

• LOLing..
                              Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Recipe on Pinterest - Creamy Grilled Chicken Piccata

one of the comments - "Can you think of anyway to lighten it? I was thinking maybe light cream cheese and some olive oil in place of the half and half and butter. .Do you think that would work?"
                                lol!

Comment

Working...
                                X