Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Maybe I shouldn't post this in the Funny CW moments thread, because it really pisses me off and it isn't funny at all... Well, some background: my grandma is 91 years old and has had digestive problems for some 9-10 months now. She had suffered from food allergies and some form of colitis (or IBS) even previously, but now it has gotten so bad she has to eat a really restrictive diet The doctors haven't been able to help much, they told her she could eat anything, just limit raw fruit and vegetables and not eat too much fibre and absolutely restrict fat... And she has followed their advice, basically subsisting on boiled or baked potatoes, boiled carrots, boiled rice, chicken breast, baked fish (no fat), cottage cheese, bread, crackers and chocolate cookies... Of course, her blood sugar is borderline high and she has non-alcoholic fatty liver disease... She finds all other foods irritating, even plain boiled eggs So yesterday I went to see her. We are celebrating Easter now (we are Orthodox Christians) and she repeatedly asked me to take some cottage cheese rolls she had baked herself (apart from the traditional Easter raisin bread and eggs). I refused and she insisted that they were very healthy - no fat at all... I replied that my standards of healthy are very different now - they imply eliminating flour and sugar and emphasizing good fats like butter. She looked puzzled and sad. I really don't know what to advise her any more and I don't want to contradict her doctors. Besides she's quite old, her digestive system is 91 years old too, so maybe "my diet" would hurt her... But it definitely cannot be good for her to eat that much bread, crackers, cookies, potatoes and rice

    Comment


    • Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
      Woman approached me at my parents' Easter party and asked if I was the one doing elimination diets. Err... kinda. I kept it simple, eliminating grains & processed foods. She said she was going gluten-free and then dominated the conversation by quoting stuff like THE CHINA STUDY (I quickly said "Um that's been de-bunked many times") and that Nestle woman. I did not know how to escape, but basically said I'm doing what works well for me.

      I never feel comfortable talking about how I eat, she was very ready to bash everything I offered up. I did mention "Why We Get Fat" in the midst of all her name-dropping, but I don't think she approved or noticed.
      It's gotten to this point, for me. I try all I can to avoid that being the topic of discussion, especially at meal parties.
      If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

      Comment


      • Originally posted by lssanjose View Post
        It's gotten to this point, for me. I try all I can to avoid that being the topic of discussion, especially at meal parties.
        My mother tells me to just give into my cravings and to just eat the foods you crave. Simply because it's inevitable.

        The only time I watched my parents eat a good meal was at a steakhouse (grass fed meats!) on my birthday, and I had to suffer the "I need cardiac rehab" speech from my grandmother.

        We don't talk about diet anymore.

        Fat is the enemy and nothing I can say will change it.

        Even when I lost 52 pounds and I'm getting a six pack. It's just because I'm young.
        Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
        Follow me on google+
        Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
        "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

        Comment


        • Free lunch at work. It's a pasta bar with salad and dessert!

          I hear a supervisor say "We should really put up a sign limiting people to two meatballs." I look down at my plate with five, some pasta sauce, and seriously anaemic lettuce and carrots. Honestly, people, I'm just doing my part to save people from all that terrible, terrible meat. I left them all the lovely, healthy pasta they want!
          http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

          Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

          And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

          Comment


          • Sometimes I yearn to become a dietician. Go through the education and learn the recommended nutritional advice they suggest. Then go rogue and just teach what really matters.
            Then you'd be making people healthy and working yourself out of a job.

            http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
              Free lunch at work. It's a pasta bar with salad and dessert!

              I hear a supervisor say "We should really put up a sign limiting people to two meatballs." I look down at my plate with five, some pasta sauce, and seriously anaemic lettuce and carrots. Honestly, people, I'm just doing my part to save people from all that terrible, terrible meat. I left them all the lovely, healthy pasta they want!
              if he wants the meatballs back put them in his pocket.
              Karin


              Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

              What am I doing? Depends on the day.

              Comment


              • I have the misfortune of only having my daughter 50% of the time so I cannot control all she eats. I let her go to my brothers in-laws for dinner one day, I believe I was busy painting my house. Anyhow, she was not fussy on what they had cooked (probably meat and veggies, something fairly good) so instead they gave her chocolate bars. She never goes there alone again.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by fpsjosh01 View Post
                  The only time I watched my parents eat a good meal was at a steakhouse (grass fed meats!) on my birthday, and I had to suffer the "I need cardiac rehab" speech from my grandmother.

                  <snip>
                  Even when I lost 52 pounds and I'm getting a six pack. It's just because I'm young.
                  Yes, the age-ism is really terrible. I lost 15 lbs and they're just like, "Well, you're young." No, I actually spent the time to learn what worked for me, not some cookie-cutter diet for the masses. And I fucking hate hearing shit about "gawd my arteries are creaking shut right now". JUST EAT YOUR BACON AND LIKE IT.
                  Depression Lies

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                    Yes, the age-ism is really terrible. I lost 15 lbs and they're just like, "Well, you're young." No, I actually spent the time to learn what worked for me, not some cookie-cutter diet for the masses. And I fucking hate hearing shit about "gawd my arteries are creaking shut right now". JUST EAT YOUR BACON AND LIKE IT.
                    +1

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                      gawd my arteries are creaking shut right now
                      I think a maniacal laugh would fit perfectly right there...
                      Ramblings of an Unamused Mouse (Lots of Food Porn, Too!)

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                        Yes, the age-ism is really terrible. I lost 15 lbs and they're just like, "Well, you're young." No, I actually spent the time to learn what worked for me, not some cookie-cutter diet for the masses. And I fucking hate hearing shit about "gawd my arteries are creaking shut right now". JUST EAT YOUR BACON AND LIKE IT.
                        I hear you, on that. I also liken the age argument to the weight/appearance argument, in that, my friend would wonder why I'm shifting my eating strategy, saying I'm not overweight; or, I don't have much weight to lose. If there's one thing CW has to come to grips with, is weight not equaling health.
                        If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Sol y Sombra View Post
                          Maybe I shouldn't post this in the Funny CW moments thread, because it really pisses me off and it isn't funny at all... Well, some background: my grandma is 91 years old and has had digestive problems for some 9-10 months now. She had suffered from food allergies and some form of colitis (or IBS) even previously, but now it has gotten so bad she has to eat a really restrictive diet The doctors haven't been able to help much, they told her she could eat anything, just limit raw fruit and vegetables and not eat too much fibre and absolutely restrict fat... And she has followed their advice, basically subsisting on boiled or baked potatoes, boiled carrots, boiled rice, chicken breast, baked fish (no fat), cottage cheese, bread, crackers and chocolate cookies... Of course, her blood sugar is borderline high and she has non-alcoholic fatty liver disease... She finds all other foods irritating, even plain boiled eggs So yesterday I went to see her. We are celebrating Easter now (we are Orthodox Christians) and she repeatedly asked me to take some cottage cheese rolls she had baked herself (apart from the traditional Easter raisin bread and eggs). I refused and she insisted that they were very healthy - no fat at all... I replied that my standards of healthy are very different now - they imply eliminating flour and sugar and emphasizing good fats like butter. She looked puzzled and sad. I really don't know what to advise her any more and I don't want to contradict her doctors. Besides she's quite old, her digestive system is 91 years old too, so maybe "my diet" would hurt her... But it definitely cannot be good for her to eat that much bread, crackers, cookies, potatoes and rice
                          Yeah, those aren't going to help her at all. Grains, and wheat in particular, tears up the intestinal lining. It seems as though her doctors are trying to minimize the number of bowel movements she has and there by reduce the number of times she deals with pain. Look up information on healing the gut, a lot of the recipes for that are still compatible with low-fat bullshit, or at least have the fat hidden away.

                          Comment


                          • Food fail today, spotted chocolate in the baking aisle labeled as not needing to be melted. I was, naturally, baffled by this, so I read the ingredients. It was cocoa powder mixed into partially hydrogenated oil. W. T. F.? I thought even CW knew that stuff was bad?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                              Then you'd be making people healthy and working yourself out of a job.
                              Possibly, but it would be rewarding. And let's face it, more than a lifetimes worth of people need help.

                              Comment


                              • <snip>
                                Even when I lost 52 pounds and I'm getting a six pack. It's just because I'm young.
                                You can tell 'em about me. I did the same thing, except I have five kids.
                                5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                                Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                                Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                                Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                                ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X