Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    My dad recently had surgery and my brother stayed with my mom during surgery. He wanted a soda (rarely drinks it, he is very fit and healthy), and he said all they had was diet in the vending machines....

When my SO had surgery (he's a veg) they brought him a crappy turkey sandwich and chips for dinner. I ended up looking for food for him. The hospital had Sbarros and Burger King open at that time of day.
    When I was in for a surgery back in October, their meal system worked by placing your order 2 or 3 days in advance. And as it went I was released 2 days later, so never did get to choose what I actually wanted from their menu sheet.

Comment

• Yay I finally have a cool one to tell!

I'm working on my Master's in Physiology right now, and my office is in a research center in an hospital. I'm surrounded by health professionals. What I see on a daily basis is fascinating. The world expert on blood lipids is borderline diabetic. I can count on my fingers the number of people I see daily who don't look in mediocre shape.

I've met three nutritionists working here so far. They work mostly with diabetic patients. The first one is shaped like a barrel. The second one told me she was leaning more and more towards raw veganism for health reasons, but didn't know why she gained 5 pounds of fat in her midsection, is always hungry and suffers from chronic allergies and respiratory problems.

I was talking to the third one yesterday about paleo. It's interesting to know she's overweight by around 30lbs and she's got a big gut (for a woman at least). I showed her the table with the RDA numbers of a standard paleo menu for a day in Robb Wolf's book and...

Her: Hahaha, salmon for breakfast
      Me: What's wrong with that?
      Her: Nothing, it must be cultural I guess. This menu looks healthy, but NOBODY eats like that
      Me: Yes, I do. And the guys I train with. And my ex-wife. And my sister. And some of my friends too. It's pretty easy actually

Comment

• Originally posted by Milty View Post
        When I was in for a surgery back in October, their meal system worked by placing your order 2 or 3 days in advance. And as it went I was released 2 days later, so never did get to choose what I actually wanted from their menu sheet.
        Yeah I had to stay in a psych ward for a few months as a child so I got a first hand culinary journey through the land of floor scrapings. I was sane when I went in there.
        In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

• Went to mothers house house for Easter. Lamb, chicken, asparagus.... Along with birthday cake, potatoes and strawberry short cake. My mom is diabetic. SIL its overweight, she's had a stroke (at 40) and is on more meds than I can count, including cumiden.

Her10 year old soon was wearing a t_shirt that said "I heart cake" my brother said proudly that his soon never misses dessert.

I have lost 25 pounds and feel so much better. I feel for them.
          The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
          Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
          Pope John Paul II

Comment

• Originally posted by Winterbike View Post

Her: Hahaha, salmon for breakfast
            Me: What's wrong with that?
            Her: Nothing, it must be cultural I guess. This menu looks healthy, but NOBODY eats like that
            Me: Yes, I do. And the guys I train with. And my ex-wife. And my sister. And some of my friends too. It's pretty easy actually

HA! Tell her I'm eating beef pot roast & tongue for breakfast. :P

Then tell her to eat like Pa Ingalls and all will be well. Or better, at least. They had refined corn & flour & sugar by then, but still ate eggs & MEAT for breakfast!

BTW, if I was quick on my feet, the best answer to her "NOBODY eats like that" would have been, "and how's that working out for them?"
            5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
            Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
            Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
            Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
            ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post

BTW, if I was quick on my feet, the best answer to her "NOBODY eats like that" would have been, "and how's that working out for them?"
              It's strange how your idea of an awesome breakfast changes when you go primal. My most uncommon one recently was stuffed bell peppers and a salad.

+1 to the oblivious. That's how I know if I'm doing something RIGHT, if I'm the only one I see doing it. The sheeple will believe anything they see in a T.V. commercial and/or Dr. Phil.
              If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

Yay I finally have a cool one to tell!

I'm working on my Master's in Physiology right now, and my office is in a research center in an hospital. I'm surrounded by health professionals. What I see on a daily basis is fascinating. The world expert on blood lipids is borderline diabetic. I can count on my fingers the number of people I see daily who don't look in mediocre shape[....]
                I visited a hospital recently too, after my son achieved a valuable learning experience in the playground. Everyone was so fat. Really, everyone. The doctors, the nurses, the admin staff and all the patients. It was like Fatland in the Mr. Skinny story. There was quite a nice looking girl there who obvious did something like driving an ambulance or was a paramedic. Even she was a bit broad, and had a tum poking out above her uniform. I've never seen anything like it. Everyone was much much fatter than in real life.

Comment

• Originally posted by billp View Post
                  I visited a hospital recently too, after my son achieved a valuable learning experience in the playground. Everyone was so fat. Really, everyone. The doctors, the nurses, the admin staff and all the patients. It was like Fatland in the Mr. Skinny story. There was quite a nice looking girl there who obvious did something like driving an ambulance or was a paramedic. Even she was a bit broad, and had a tum poking out above her uniform. I've never seen anything like it. Everyone was much much fatter than in real life.
                  Tell me about it. I'm never exposed to cigarette smoke outside of the hospital environment. My friends are all active and healthy so none of them smoke. I'm currently sitting outside the hospital at a picnic table and a woman is blowing her cigarette smoke right in my face. I see pregnant women smoking right next the emergency more than I should and even students in lung health related fields smoke. There are also a lot of French exchange students here (I'm in Quebec) and 95% of them smoke. It's disgusting. I would never think about dating a French girl, they're all skinny fat and look way too old for their age (it's sad, some of them could be cute).

Hospitals are sad places.

Comment

Tell me about it. I'm never exposed to cigarette smoke outside of the hospital environment. My friends are all active and healthy so none of them smoke. I'm currently sitting outside the hospital at a picnic table and a woman is blowing her cigarette smoke right in my face. I see pregnant women smoking right next the emergency more than I should and even students in lung health related fields smoke. There are also a lot of French exchange students here (I'm in Quebec) and 95% of them smoke. It's disgusting. I would never think about dating a French girl, they're all skinny fat and look way too old for their age (it's sad, some of them could be cute).

Hospitals are sad places.
                    A few years ago a no smoking ban was put on all government building parking lots here, which obviously includes hospitals. My gf at the time was in the maternity ward after having a c-section and couldn't really do much on her own yet. She told me to go find a nurse for something and I couldn't find a single one anywhere except for the lone girl watching over a room full of newborns (who cannot leave her station for obvious reasons)! They had all left at the same time to go for a smoke break and didn't arrive back for at least 20 minutes, due to having to walk off site.

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                      I had chicken liver pate. Sooo good.
                      Steph
                      My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• Can't be 100% sure, but I think a friend of mine has adopted a Primal diet without realizing it. He turned his life around and has become a body builder. Every few days he posts things to Facebook like; "man, I'm eating 4000 clean cals a day and still can't gain any weight", "I don't do much cardio, my metabolism can't spare the cals", and also spends hours and hours at the gym, 5 days a week.

Comment

• "Is Herbalife compatible with Primal?"

Sure, as long as you ignore the sugar, chemicals, and lack of fat...oh, wait.
                          Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

• I used to belong to a real nice gym (before I changed jobs and it became too far out of my way). Proper bumper plates/platforms for power lifts, tons of squat racks, muscle-uppable pullup bars, good kettlebell selection, etc...

Well, the place has a long driveway and, being a large facility, there are 2 large grassy areas on either side of the driveway that were nicely landscaped grass.

I guess they decided to either lease or parcel these out and sell them. The first thing that went in was a Sonic. A little while later, construction started on the second parcel. Now you have to drive between the Sonic and the new Smoothie King to get to the gym!
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                              I used to belong to a real nice gym (before I changed jobs and it became too far out of my way). Proper bumper plates/platforms for power lifts, tons of squat racks, muscle-uppable pullup bars, good kettlebell selection, etc...

Well, the place has a long driveway and, being a large facility, there are 2 large grassy areas on either side of the driveway that were nicely landscaped grass.

I guess they decided to either lease or parcel these out and sell them. The first thing that went in was a Sonic. A little while later, construction started on the second parcel. Now you have to drive between the Sonic and the new Smoothie King to get to the gym!
                              Wow, thats like....insanely diabolical good business idea.
                              "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

• Originally posted by texas.grok View Post
                                Went through something similar with my mom. Despite having no recent heart attacks/problems, because she had had a heart attack about 10 years previous the doctor put her on blood thinners, statins, NSAID for her arthritis pain, etc. Damn near killed her. Now she is 87 years old, takes a thyroid medication and that is pretty much it. Doctors prescribe drugs for people for 2 reasons a) they don't know what else to do but give drugs or do surgery and b) they are courted, on almost a daily basis, to prescribe the latest, greatest chemical that big pharma is pushing.
                                I've actually had a doctor straight-out tell me that he was prescribing me something that would do absolutely nothing! And he still wrote the prescription! (I had a rash called pityriasis rosea, which just has to run its course and there's no treatment. He prescribed prednisone, which he told me wouldn't do anything for the duration or the symptoms, but was giving me the prescription "in case I wanted to take something".)

Comment

Working...
                                X