No announcement yet.

Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come Dine With Me - a show loved for the snarky commentary. Basic premise - 5 people, each weeknight one of them hosts a dinner party and is scored by the others; winner announced after the last meal.
    Of course they put people together who will be "interesting".
    I'm watching a repeat, and a slightly militant vegan lady ("I want to go out with every meat eating man and convert them") also compares hanging some lamb for 10 days (yummy!!) to discussing chopping off your own arm and eating it. Was it wrong to think about the film 127 Hours at that point??

(Oh Lordy, she has the Vegan Society logo tattooed on her back)

(Oh no no noooooooo, vegan bacon - made of vegetable oil and soya!)
    Last edited by NorthernMonkeyGirl; 01-16-2011, 11:13 AM. Reason: it just keeps getting worse!

Comment

• Originally posted by ritz View Post
      I was browsing a similar thread on a gluten-free site, and I was kind of shocked (then again, not really) at how many people do not know that white bread/white flour is made from wheat. I have to wonder just what they DO think it's made of?
      "I don't know, but it's not wheat."

Direct quote from a restaurant owner. Yeah, celiacs don't eat there.
      Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

• Originally posted by angorarabbit View Post
        Regarding a trip to France NEXT summer and my past pastry obsession...

DH: you know honey, since you've given up bread what are you going to do when we go to France? you won't be able to any croissants!

Me: are you kidding? if I make it to france I'm eating my way through every patisserie I can find. I'll be horribly miserable and bloated and gassy and pimply and probably drunk but you'll just have to deal with me.

DH: you'll be drunk?

Me: Well since I can only bring one bottle of wine back with me, I'll just have to drink all the wine when I'm there!

DH: So I'll be touring France with my fat, drunk and flatulent wife.

Me: Exactly!

DH: Now THERE'S the wife I married!

10 minutes later...

Me: Are you calling me a fat drunk?
        Just have to LOL at your story! I would love to see his face when you ask him that!

Comment

• This week I posted a facebook status update that shared my joy with the world that I needed to go out and buy a new belt because I had run out of holes since dropping 3" off my waist over the past 90 days while eating bacon 4-5 times a week. One friend replied "yeah, but you gave up all the ice cream, cookies, beer etc..., is it worth it" and another one chimed in with "how good is that when you are clogging up your arteries and damaging your health in the process". I let it go at that and deleted my post, I just didn't have the energy to post a rebuttle to such terrible ignorance.
          i like to respond with "She blinded ME! with Science!" and then provide the link.

of course, i think this only works if you are a girl, and your friends are old enough to get the reference.

Comment

• Originally posted by angorarabbit View Post
            Regarding a trip to France NEXT summer and my past pastry obsession...

DH: you know honey, since you've given up bread what are you going to do when we go to France? you won't be able to any croissants!

Me: are you kidding? if I make it to france I'm eating my way through every patisserie I can find. I'll be horribly miserable and bloated and gassy and pimply and probably drunk but you'll just have to deal with me.

DH: you'll be drunk?

Me: Well since I can only bring one bottle of wine back with me, I'll just have to drink all the wine when I'm there!

DH: So I'll be touring France with my fat, drunk and flatulent wife.

Me: Exactly!

DH: Now THERE'S the wife I married!

10 minutes later...

Me: Are you calling me a fat drunk?

This made me snarf my tea! OMG! Love it!
            Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
              i like to respond with "She blinded ME! with Science!" and then provide the link.

of course, i think this only works if you are a girl, and your friends are old enough to get the reference.
              haha.
              my primal journal:
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• What I find interesting is someone could eat and live with modern CW mentality for their whole life and still manage to live their life without any major health problems. How is it that some people just don't develop health problems and others do on the same diet? Eating Primal or what have you doesn't guarantee a completely disease free life. I do believe though that eating as nature intended is the best way to go regarding health and Primal/Paleo makes absolute sense; more sense than anything else I've come across! I had always been seeking some kind of lifestyle diet that I could easily manage. I never fell into the trap of fad diets or diet pills. I wanted to find something natural. I tripped across Primal, and something in my heart and mind went "ding! ding! ding! that's it!!!"

I have a friend who is an Osteopathic doctor and he was really the first person that got me thinking about low carb/high fat-protein diets. This was several years ago, but he'd go into detail about how sugar effects the body and it really got me thinking. Then my Mom found Somersize, and found success with that which I tried, and while Ms. Somer's has sound info on the negative effects of sugar on the body, I had a hard time keeping proteins and fat separate from carb foods. Then I vaguely came across Paleo, read part of The Omnivore's Dilemma, watched "Supersize Me" and "Food, Inc", and I began being more selective with the foods I ate (at least at the grocery store, but I still went to eat fast food on a regular basis, contradictory to what I believed).
                "Achievement begins with belief."

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson-

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27309.html

Comment

• Originally posted by zsadie View Post
                  What I find interesting is someone could eat and live with modern CW mentality for their whole life and still manage to live their life without any major health problems.
                  The short and sweet answer: everyone's different. What works for me may be disastrous for you, and vice versa. I think in part because CW is almost as broad a term as paleo. There is some healthy conventional wisdom out there; yes it still includes some grains but not 6-10 servings daily.

In my funny CW note, I've been resisting the urge to preach to my vegetarian friend at work. I don't like it when someone does it to me, so I'm trying not to do it to her, but she is always starving and tired. I want to give her steak and bacon so badly, but it probably wouldn't be well received.
                  "Fry cracked corn, and I don't care. Leela cracked corn, I still don't care. Bender cracked corn, and he is great! Take that you stupid corn." - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Comment

• jesbelle, I agree everyone's different, and people seem to be always on the lookout for the quickest shortest way to acheive their dreams and the truth is it takes work, it takes trial and error and experimentation to find out what will really work for any one person.
                    "Achievement begins with belief."

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson-

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27309.html

Comment

• As a guy who likes to walk around barefoot as much as possible, I still get this question every once in a while, including this morning while at the farmer's market (yes, you read right -- and no, not everything is local) on campus.

"How have you not gotten a foot fungus/infection?"

-_-
                      Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
                      -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

• Originally posted by zsadie View Post
                        What I find interesting is someone could eat and live with modern CW mentality for their whole life and still manage to live their life without any major health problems. How is it that some people just don't develop health problems and others do on the same diet?
                        Are you sure you know someone like this? Someone who doesn't have and has never had eczema, allergies, constipation (would you know? a lot of us hide it well!), gas, BO, appendicitis, gall bladder removal, insomnia, rheumatoid arthritis, cavities, infertility, PMS, enlarged prostate, impotence, no libido, fatigue, dry/painful/cracking skin/mucus membranes, thin/icky hair/skin, prolonged labors, insufficient milk supply, c-sections, myopia, presbyopia, backaches, ....

Until I started to gain weight after a particular intense bout of antibiotics, I think most people who know me would think I have/had no health problems at all. Even my husband, who naturally gravitated away from grains & sugar his whole life, had seasonal allergies (which went away entirely with our dietary change and household elimination of chemicals) & eczema (greatly reduced) & a few other very minor health complaints that have disappeared with a change to whole, real, low- or no-grain eating.

We all react differently to the poisons we eat and are surrounded by, depending on what they are, our genetics, and our family inheritance (nutritional deficiencies and gut imbalance passed from generation to generation until someone puts an end to it or the family line ceases to be able to reproduce). Some of us have more visible problems (weight, handicap, chronic outward illness, cancer...) and others are lucky enough to be able to hide it well, whether b/c of the nature or size of the problem.
                        5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                        Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                        Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                        Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                        ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Originally posted by Karma View Post
                          This week I posted a facebook status update that shared my joy with the world that I needed to go out and buy a new belt because I had run out of holes since dropping 3" off my waist over the past 90 days while eating bacon 4-5 times a week. One friend replied "yeah, but you gave up all the ice cream, cookies, beer etc..., is it worth it" and another one chimed in with "how good is that when you are clogging up your arteries and damaging your health in the process". I let it go at that and deleted my post, I just didn't have the energy to post a rebuttle to such terrible ignorance.
                          lol! I posted a facebook status about using belt holes I've never used before (of course I'm a perverted sicko so I had to make it into a dirty euphamism muhahaa) I multiple people were virtually orgasming with joy that I had gone up a belt hole from eating all that bacon, meat, and coconut oil lathered veggies and very little "healthy" whole grains. Then I had the last laugh bursting their bubbles telling them I went DOWN several belt holes.

Some people just get off on seeing other people fail, especially when they yo-yo with various low fat "healthy" crash diets.

Comment

• My work colleague just ate tons of sandwiches for lunch so I said (kinda tongue in cheek as he knows I don't eat bread) that his BS would be sky high and he would get sleepy. It got us into talking about carbs and he insisted that you need carbs to live etc etc So I asked him how can I exist (I eat VLC most of the time) and he said because you burn fat .... er what??

Anyway I then ask him what he would eat if he had to go out in the wild today and find some food. I pointed out that there is nothing much growing out there in January. I then asked him what did our ancestors do? and he said they would have stored some grains....

OK so what did they do before agriculture? What about hunter gatherers? Oh well they would dig up tubers etc. Anyway, they were different to us!

OK so I point out that homo sapiens have been around for around 200,000 years much longer than agriculture. I also point out that people existed throughout Ice Ages etc in very cold climates and there wasn't much vegetation we could digest.

Then he tells me about how ancient man used to run long distances.... and I said why? to hunt potatoes? No because they were persistence hunting animals!

OK then.

Comment

• Great story!

Oh well they would dig up tubers etc
                              That frozen ground is very conducive to tuber-digging, huh?

Persistence hunting is a lot of stops and starts, not consistent running, and if you check out the video on youtube, there was only one guy in the whole tribe, so it seemed to me, who was able to do it the whole 8hrs it required. Most of the rest of the tribe was back home doing the other stuff needed, I'd guess.
                              5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                              Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                              Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                              Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                              ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Had a funny one last night. I belong to a "race club" made up of triathletes, runners and cyclists. Our annual party was last night. the food was 5 kinds of pizza and salad. The salad did not get a whole lot of attention but the pizza flew out of the boxes. Someone was kind enough to bring some sliced turkey and roast beef and it just sat there un-opened. I saw that and ripped into it. I had a big plate of salad with turkey and roast beef piled on top.

So I arrive at my seat with 9 pizza guzlers around me at the table. One stops and asks if I'm doing "the clense diet". I sais, "no, I don't do those crazy things, I just eat stuff my body likes and fuels me best for my active lifestyle" I got the blank stare and a shoulder shrug. She went back to eating her pizza while telling me about her 12 year old daughter's diabetes. HEADSLAP !

Comment

Working...
                                X