Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Foxmane View Post
    "Are you crazy?! I don't have time for that!" Right. You don't have time to heat up milk, stir in a spoonful of yoghurt, and leave it in the oven all day.
    Got a recipe? Or a link? Sounds awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
      Got a recipe? Or a link? Sounds awesome.
      I use a heavy earthen crock for this to retain heat better. The cooking vessel associated with a crock pot is very good for the purpose.

Heat anywhere from a quart to a gallon of milk to 185 degrees Fahrenheit, which is about where milk begins to froth, stirring to evenly distribute heat. Do not be lax about this step, as it is crucial for sterilization. Thoroughly wash all of your cooking utensils before beginning. While your milk is heating, turn your oven on to 150 - 175 degrees Fahrenheit. After your milk has attained 185 degrees at its coolest point, immerse your pot in cold water and stir until the coldest point reaches about 115 degrees Fahrenheit. Don't overshoot; you don't want it to get too cool. Once this lowered temperature is attained, pour the milk into your crock, stir in 2-3 tbsp yoghurt as your starter, and cover the crock with a tea towel. Place into the oven and turn your oven as low as it will reasonably go. Forget it for 8 - 12 hours. Do not touch it. Do not think about it. Give the little beasties in your starter time to work their magic.

Once enough time has passed, remove your crock from the oven, stir everything together, and remove to the refrigerator in individual containers. You can add cream as I sometimes do, if you so desire, or you can strain it at this point to make a Greek-style yoghurt and a tasty bit of whey.
      I'm a food scientist by trade, a writer and a cook by hobby, and stranded in the Midwest by choice.

The best thing about the Internet is that you can't be sure I'm not a unicorn.

Comment

• There's a better way to make yoghurt so that you don't kill all the beneficial microorganisms:

With a thermos
        Almost fill a thermos bottle (preferably widemouthed) with milk heated to 100 degrees F. Add 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt and mix thoroughly. Put the lid on and wrap the thermos in two or three terry towels. Set it in a warm, draft-free place overnight.

In an oven
        Pour 1 quart of milk into a casserole dish and add 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt. Stir well and cover the casserole. Place in a warm (100 degree F.) oven with the heat off. Let it sit overnight.

On a heating pad
        Mix 1 quart of milk and 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt. Set an electric heating pad at medium temperature and place in the bottom of a cardboard box with a lid. (A large shoebox works well.) Fill small plastic containers with the milk-yogurt mixture; put on the lids. Wrap a heating pad around the containers, then cover with towels to fill the box and let sit, undisturbed, for 5 to 6 hours.

In the sun
        Pour 1 quart warmed milk into a glass-lidded bowl or casserole. Add 3 tablespoons plain yogurt and cover with the glass lid or a clear glass pie pan. Place in the sun on a warm (not too hot) summer day and let sit 4 to 5 hours. Watch it to make sure it is not shaded as the sun moves.

On the back of a wood-stove
        Many grandmothers made clabber by setting a bowl of freshly drawn milk on the back of the stove after supper. Make yogurt this way by adding 1 cup starter to 2 quarts milk and let it sit, loosely covered with a dish towel, on the back of the cooling wood range overnight.

In a crockpot
        Preheat a crockpot on low for about 15 minutes, until it feels very warm to the fingertips. Put covered containers of yogurt mixture into the Crock-Pot, cover it, and turn off the heat. At 35- to 45-minutes intervals, heat the Crock-Pot on low for 10 to 15 minutes.
        The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
        Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
        Pope John Paul II

Comment

• Originally posted by sires6 View Post
          There's a better way to make yoghurt so that you don't kill all the beneficial microorganisms:

With a thermos
          Almost fill a thermos bottle (preferably widemouthed) with milk heated to 100 degrees F. Add 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt and mix thoroughly. Put the lid on and wrap the thermos in two or three terry towels. Set it in a warm, draft-free place overnight.

In an oven
          Pour 1 quart of milk into a casserole dish and add 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt. Stir well and cover the casserole. Place in a warm (100 degree F.) oven with the heat off. Let it sit overnight.

On a heating pad
          Mix 1 quart of milk and 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt. Set an electric heating pad at medium temperature and place in the bottom of a cardboard box with a lid. (A large shoebox works well.) Fill small plastic containers with the milk-yogurt mixture; put on the lids. Wrap a heating pad around the containers, then cover with towels to fill the box and let sit, undisturbed, for 5 to 6 hours.

In the sun
          Pour 1 quart warmed milk into a glass-lidded bowl or casserole. Add 3 tablespoons plain yogurt and cover with the glass lid or a clear glass pie pan. Place in the sun on a warm (not too hot) summer day and let sit 4 to 5 hours. Watch it to make sure it is not shaded as the sun moves.

On the back of a wood-stove
          Many grandmothers made clabber by setting a bowl of freshly drawn milk on the back of the stove after supper. Make yogurt this way by adding 1 cup starter to 2 quarts milk and let it sit, loosely covered with a dish towel, on the back of the cooling wood range overnight.

In a crockpot
          Preheat a crockpot on low for about 15 minutes, until it feels very warm to the fingertips. Put covered containers of yogurt mixture into the Crock-Pot, cover it, and turn off the heat. At 35- to 45-minutes intervals, heat the Crock-Pot on low for 10 to 15 minutes.
          It depends on whether or not one wants to kill the native bacteria, I suppose. If I were able to procure raw milk, I would indeed consider a gentler treatment; however, I've had a batch foul on me due to improper sterilization. The method I give is very reproducible, adapted as it is from the industrial methods.
          I'm a food scientist by trade, a writer and a cook by hobby, and stranded in the Midwest by choice.

The best thing about the Internet is that you can't be sure I'm not a unicorn.

Comment

• I need to get myself an actual yogurt maker...
            *Tobias Funke voice:* "Oh, is there such a thing?"
            "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

• metabolism
              Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
              Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
              Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

• I "pasteurize" (not really, b/c I bring it to the "killing" temp for a very short time) my raw milk first b/c it makes the yogurt thicker. If you don't, the milk's native bacteria will multiply, too, and the yogurt will be runny, which is also a nice variation, but if you want it thicker and more full of the yogurt bacteria, then you steam/boil the milk first.

I use my Excalibur dehydrator with the bottom six shelves out for the quart mason jars.

And if you've never had yogurt made from pure cream (or just sampled th ecream that rises to the top when you make it from raw milk), YOU ARE MISSING OUT.
                5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Today, at the check-out at the supermarket, I overheard the (very obese) lady in the check-out next to me getting advice from the (very obese) check-out lady. "When i cook curries that require coconut milk, I just replace it with skimmed milka nd add a few drops of coconut essence". Both aprties nodding in agreement. It took all my mental strenght to not interupt and tell them how I lost 47 pounds of fat by eating coconut fat and milk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
                    Today, at the check-out at the supermarket, I overheard the (very obese) lady in the check-out next to me getting advice from the (very obese) check-out lady. "When i cook curries that require coconut milk, I just replace it with skimmed milka nd add a few drops of coconut essence". Both aprties nodding in agreement. It took all my mental strenght to not interupt and tell them how I lost 47 pounds of fat by eating coconut fat and milk.
                    You really should have, people need a wake-up call! Who knows, it may have become something relevant to them lol
                    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
                    --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
                    --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
                    --Hyperlithic

Comment

• Originally posted by Clymb View Post
                      You really should have, people need a wake-up call! Who knows, it may have become something relevant to them lol
                      I sort of laugh and cry on the inside at the same time, very weird.

Comment

• Perhaps the opposite of funny but when I was visiting America I was hanging out with this guy and his sister. They were both morbidly obese with horribly oily faces. I was low carb at the time. They offered me some sandwiches and crisps and I declined. They pushed it and so I told them I eat don't really eat grains and am low carb; "What? But you really need to eat grains to be healthy!".

Don't know why the unhealthiest looking people often feel qualified to give dietary advice to the people in prime health.
                        http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Comment

• While trolling a blog about home made muesili , I mentioned that I usually ate bacon and eggs for breakfast and not being a bird I doubted the ground or processed products of any seeds could really be good for human health, and how I had lost weight and improved fitness by eating more meat and fat and no seed products at all:

you need whole grains for the fibre which makes your bowels work properly; what you imagine to be feeling full is constipation, a quick road to death for the foolishly smug, and serve them right. I bet you only eat the disgusting and harmful sliced white too; enjoy your early grave. you deserve it. you probably put petrol in a diesel car. some are born stupid , and some are proud of being stupid. fortunately they die early and deplete the surplus population.
                          Wow! Touched a raw nerve there I see.

Comment

• Good Golly! Sore loser??? Amazing the hubris.
                            The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
                            Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
                            Pope John Paul II

Comment

• Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
                              Today, at the check-out at the supermarket, I overheard the (very obese) lady in the check-out next to me getting advice from the (very obese) check-out lady. "When i cook curries that require coconut milk, I just replace it with skimmed milka nd add a few drops of coconut essence". Both aprties nodding in agreement. It took all my mental strenght to not interupt and tell them how I lost 47 pounds of fat by eating coconut fat and milk.
                              I would totally have said it. It's not mean, it enlightens them (they'll remember it later), inspires them, and you'll probably never see them again! They deserve the truth as much as we do, and something like this is a rare opportunity to do it peacefully without ticking off any relatives, lol.
                              5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                              Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                              Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                              Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                              ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Originally posted by AMonkey View Post
                                Don't know why the unhealthiest looking people often feel qualified to give dietary advice to the people in prime health.
                                You know, I was thinking about that. But then I realize it's the same reason why thin people keep eating the way they do even if it's unhealthy. They think they're skinny so they're healthy, but they're not. So sometimes people think skinny people may be unhealthy when they don't eat those "healthy grains."
                                My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Working...
                                X