Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mixie View Post
    Sad CW moment: on the phone with my mama last night, told her my husband is considering an officer commission in the Navy, but that he'd need to lose another ten or fifteen pounds to make weight.
    Hubby just retired from 22 years active duty as an officer in the Navy. Best thing we ever did. It's worth every moment. Tell him I said so.
    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II

Comment

• Difficult CW two weeks. DS and DIL were here with their two boys: 2 yrs and 6 months. It was a CW SAD diet explosion. She is Bipolar, 21, drinks Dr. Pepper every day (at least two a day), chows on Ramen all the time or has canned soup. He is 22, overweight and eats pizza and eats as bad as her. The 2 yo eats toast and sugary cereal unless grandma (me) can make him eggs and bacon in the morning (from our own chickens). If Grandma gets eggs down his throat, then he isn't hungry until lunch, if Grandpa makes him cereal and toast, then he's hungry two hours later and we're prying him off the ceiling. They've started the baby on rice cereal, but he was getting so hungry, they put him on meat, per the DR's orders, and he's finally getting enough to eat with veggies and carrots and sweet potatoes. And what in God's name are those horrible rice sticks that come two to a package that literally dissolve as the kid eats them.. something like mum mums or something like that.

How could I have ever fed that to my children. What was I thinking?
      The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
      Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
      Pope John Paul II

Comment

• I guess the 3 of us were just freaks of nature. Dad did his damnedest to make sure we ate real food like him and Mom, not "that jarred crap." Mom was the one with the Cheerios, etc, and that was only in public where carting perishable stuff wasn't really an option. We were just too poor for most of the "baby only" foods. Whatever Mom and Dad got, we ate, just in more kid friendly sizes. Then again, we drank formula because Mom saw breast feeding as "shameful, like we can't even afford to get something good for y'all to drink," so six in one, half dozen in the other.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by 70in2012 View Post
          most of my friends (all with masters degrees) still say, "but there are studies saying balanced diet is good, there are studies saying saturated fat is bad, my doctor says i should cut doen on cholestrol and saturated fat". not one so far has even actually bothered to look up those studies. it is done deal. everything else that comes from blogosphere is quakery.
          One of the things an education teaches you is that the plural of "anecdote" is not "data". I know a lot of people who can't think their way out of a wet paper sack. Some of them are PhDs, but plenty more barely scraped out of high school. Dr. Phil and Oprah's fortunes tell me that there are plenty of mouth-breathers who are perfectly happy to believe everything the "experts" have to say, even when those "experts" are... idiots like Dr. Phil.
          In fact, if we're basing our opinions on anecdotal evidence here, I'd offer that the only people who have listened, done the research, and followed up with their own efforts at the PB in my own life are two PhDs, one NP, one PsyD, and an RN of 52 years practice. All of my family members with a high school or trade school education have been struggling on Weight Watchers for years, and after watching me lose weight effortlessly for a year, just re-joined WW for their "New Year's Resolution".
          A good education teaches you healthy critical thinking skills. That's... more or less the entire point of the thing.
          Last edited by mixie; 02-02-2012, 11:38 AM.
          “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
          - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

Comment

...the plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
            Love that.
            Durp.

Comment

One of the things an education teaches you is that the plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
              An education also teaches you that "data" is already the plural form.
              No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
              -Maimonodies

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.

Babes with BBQ

Comment

• Right. Hence pointing out that the plural form of the word "anecdote" is not "data". I hope we're all clear on this, though I'd be happy to diagram the sentence if you need it. ;0)
                Last edited by mixie; 02-02-2012, 10:14 AM.
                “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
                - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

Comment

• I told the Project assistant/ secretary that I was bringing in my own cake for my birthday next week. She asked me what it was, and I told her it was a very dark chocolate flourless brownie cake. She then asked what was in it, so she could caution those with allergies. I told her (butter, dark chocolate, eggs), and she shook her head. "This'll be the least healthy cake yet. Ok, I'll let [Boss] know."
                  Mind you, last week, we had pineapple unside down cake for a birthday, and we had a Funfetti cake the time before in November. Mine's the LEAST healthy?!
                  Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                  My Latest Journal

Comment

• Okay I guess I'm fortunate in that eggs were never considered unhealthy in my area.
                    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

• Dunno if it's the eggs or the butter, but she made a face like I was suggesting bringing in a Cheetos cake or something.
                      My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                        I told the Project assistant/ secretary that I was bringing in my own cake for my birthday next week. She asked me what it was, and I told her it was a very dark chocolate flourless brownie cake. She then asked what was in it, so she could caution those with allergies. I told her (butter, dark chocolate, eggs), and she shook her head. "This'll be the least healthy cake yet. Ok, I'll let [Boss] know."
                        Mind you, last week, we had pineapple unside down cake for a birthday, and we had a Funfetti cake the time before in November. Mine's the LEAST healthy?!
                        Recipe please? Dark chocolate is divine. So glad that I can still have good, dark chocolate and be Primal. Oddly enough, chocolate doesn't cause the cravings that grains do for me...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaradel View Post
                          Recipe please? Dark chocolate is divine. So glad that I can still have good, dark chocolate and be Primal. Oddly enough, chocolate doesn't cause the cravings that grains do for me...
                          I posted it on the forum somewhere once a long time ago. If not, google it. "Valentino brownies" I'll dig it up later to repost.
                          My Latest Journal

Comment

• Ugh, people are so annoying with their little CW quips, obviously they can't help it because they don't know any better (and don't want to).

My birthday was last week and it would seem I eat strangely enough at work that they've all picked up on it because they got me a veggie tray hahaha.

Comment

• In a few weeks, I'm participating in an all-day focus group workshop type thing for work. One of the organizers emailed everyone to check if there were food issues cause she's ordering lunch. Rather than get all detailed and complicated, I responded and very diplomatically indicated that I am gluten free and try to avoid processed sugars as well. She said ok, shed order a "gluten free" lunch; no indication as to what that might entail, but my hopes are not high. I literally cannot wait to see what they come up with. STAY TUNED!!!!
                              "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaradel View Post
                                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post337311

I got bored at work. Aren't you glad?
                                Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

Working...
                                X