No announcement yet.

Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I apparently just squicked out some people at my office by doing something without thinking about it.
    I was standing talking to a few of them about a project and drop the pen. Without dropping a beat in the conversation, I slip my foot out of my shoe, pick up the pen with my toes, transfer it to my hand and continue writing. It freaked the hell out of them that A) I have that much flexibility B ) I had no problems with my bare foot touching the carpet at the office, C) I was able to do that wearing heels and D) I did it without thinking.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

• getting back to the self-righteous circle jerk:

I dont understand my roommates. A) despite living here for well over half a year they never put the dishes away in the right place, but thats a rant for another forum. 2) their eating habits have gotten so tangential to mine its nuts. When everyone moved in, we split a CSA veggie box and meat box. They eventually backed out of the meat box so i got a smaller one just for myself, and I backed out of the veggie box cause i found going to the farmers market was easier and not that much more expensive. Anyway, I only mention it as an example that we came in with relatively similar eating habits, but it seems that as Ive gotten more and more primal theyve gotten more and more sad.

I think ive said it before but ill say it again, half of their shelves in the pantry are loaded with soda, and the other half is dominated by cereal. They are cereal FIENDS. Somehow, we go through EVERY. SINGLE. BOWL. IN. THE. HOUSE. every TWO. DAYS. (I mean, really, cereal aside, do you have to get a clean bowl every time??) When theyre not eating cereal, theyre eating A) takeout or 2) plain pasta, with jarred sauce and no meat or veggies. They get their own CSA veggie box but just dont think to even throw in any of those veggies into the pasta, so their veggies are left to rot in the fridge.

Which gets me to my next rant: they get a lot of food that just goes to waste. I mean, dont get me wrong, everyone forgets food in the back of the fridge somewhere sometimes. But i swear, fully half of their grocery purchases never get used and just go to rot. This morning I was cleaning out the fridge and, after pulling out the usual load of rotted veggies, I found: some containers of microwaveable trader joes meals (made with fresh ingredients, mind, pretty good for SAD food) that were two months expired and never opened; jars of food and sauce that were opened, had one serving used, and then the rest left to rot; and--get this--an ENTIRE carton of eggs that expired in OCTOBER, UNTOUCHED. They eggs were so old and dessicated that the slightest touch cracked the shell. The freezer isnt much better; its full of lean cuisine-type meals that they rarely eat, so they just sit there slowly freezerburning and taking up space.

I have a theory that its at least partially fueled by the low-energy inspired by SAD diets. They get the idea in the store that they should buy better food, but when mealtime rolls around theyre just too tired or rushed to bother trying to prepare it and fallback on cereal and pasta.
      "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

• Well, the CW-lovin' dietician at sparkpeople is at it again. Here's what she said about O-6 intake:
        "There was concern at one time about the distribution of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Some people thinking that too much omega -6 increased inflammation. However, carefully controlled studies, feeding different levels of omega-6 and checking for inflammatory markers showed no adverse effects. So omega-6 are not considered pro-inflammatory. They are considered a very healthy type fat to include in the diet. This would include your different types of vegetable oils: corn, sunflower seed, safflower, hem[, soybean, vegetable oil, etc."

Sounds like a severe oversimplification to me. No details on who went through the study, what kind of health they were in, or what "different levels" means. Maybe she's on the corn oil payroll too?
        2011 - The year I went Primal
        Start weight: 198 / Waist: 32"
        CW: 158.5 / Waist: 28"
        GW: 145-ish
        Supplements: Calcium and O-3 in AM. Natural Calm, Valerian Root Extract and sublingual Melatonin in PM (for lifelong chronic insomnia).

Comment

• What?!?!

aNYWAY, I stopped wasting food when it started costing an arm and a leg (not to mention my time) to get it. The shift from industrial to fresh food really made a difference on me inthat regard.
          5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
          Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
          Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
          Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
          ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
            What?!?!

aNYWAY, I stopped wasting food when it started costing an arm and a leg (not to mention my time) to get it. The shift from industrial to fresh food really made a difference on me inthat regard.
            Thats true, these days, when im dropping some good money on grassfed meat, youd better believe Im gonna remember how long its been in the fridge and when I need to cook it by. But even when I was in grad school and subsiding largely on pasta (with veggies and meat), quinoa (with soybean pilaf and breaded fish fillets), and grilled sausage and veggies (yay!), I always pretty frugal with my food, keeping abreast of when I needed to eat food by, be they fresh or leftovers (course that was probably partially cause I was in gradschool and making all of $15,000 a year before taxes).
            "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
              What?!?!

+1

Since I started growing much of our food (both veges and eggs/meat - turkeys) I have become much more carefull/respectful of our food. It takes a lot of work!!! I am the only person I know who tries to do it and most everyone thinks I'm kinda crazy to try (except my 2 paleo buddies who would if they could). I am so grateful for the ease and variety at the stores. Knowing how much work it takes, I gladly pay for organic and pastured veges and meat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
                +1

Since I started growing much of our food (both veges and eggs/meat - turkeys) I have become much more carefull/respectful of our food. It takes a lot of work!!! I am the only person I know who tries to do it and most everyone thinks I'm kinda crazy to try (except my 2 paleo buddies who would if they could). I am so grateful for the ease and variety at the stores. Knowing how much work it takes, I gladly pay for organic and pastured veges and meat.
                I think, for what it's worth, that food is so useless (SAD/CW mentality) that it means nothing to waste it. Every six months they are coming out with a new philosophy: fats are good, Omegas are good, fats are bad, eat only veggies, eat whole grains, in the SAD/CW mind it makes the food useless and worthless.

My mentality has changed in that I value the food, like the difference between pure gold and 10K... you really value the "precious" stuff.
                The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
                Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
                Pope John Paul II

Comment

• Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
                  +1

My goal is to grow more of our own food too. I have enough land to support some chickens, milking goats or even a cow, along with my normal garden. I am hoping in the spring or summer I can get that started...

I don't waste any food if I can help it. We don't do a lot of leftovers, I am the only one in the family that will eat them, but this month when I went shopping I broke out my vacuum sealer and bought big chunks of meat the butcher cut for me, I put it in meal making portions and into my deep freeze. This will be the first month in a long time I don't need to go beyond my SNAP budget to feed the family. I am a little surprised that it is easier and cheaper to feed the 4 of us on primal than it was with even just clean eating/making things from scratch!
                  Originally posted by L8F
                  ... I drank the fermented koolaid, and am totally on board...

I'm alergic to carbs - they make me break out in fat!

Comment

• We had an acre and kept chickens and turks. We have 40 acres now and have a goat and will get a meat goat soon. We bought a half a steer and that has made all the difference. We paid 3.86/lb and got over 300 lbs. of meat. Livin' large!!!
                    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
                    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
                    Pope John Paul II

Comment

• Yogurt advert promoting new chocolate flavour: "And you won't believe it's fat-free!"

..of course it's fat-free. Sugar has no fat!!

I have said this before but if a food has a commercial, it's probably not good for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
                        So in water aerobics yesterday, I was talking to a gal who had gastric bypass. She looks amazing but has not lost all her weight. (she lost 180 pounds in like 9 months- insane!) so, she is on a plateau, has been for a while. We started talking about food and I casually mention how in July I quit grains, beans, processed foods, sugar and most dairy. Her comment: " OMG!! SO what DO YOU EAT???!!!!!"

my response:
                        meat, vegetables and a little fruit. She shook her head dumbfounded.
                        She's still leptin resistant, no matter how much she lost, she runs the risk of gaining it ALL back.

Stay strong.
                        Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
                        Follow me on google+
                        Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
                        "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Comment

• Originally posted by Corvidae View Post
                          The anatomical term for it is fascia.
                          +1
                          Fascia holds us all together.
                          Follow me on google+

Comment

• Originally posted by onalark View Post
                            1. Tell 'em to google gluconeogenesis.
                            2. Watch their brain explode.
                            3. ????
                            4. Profit!
                            Tell them about glucagon.
                            ?????
                            Profit!
                            Follow me on google+

Comment

• Originally posted by HeatherJ View Post
                              I have said this before but if a food has a commercial, it's probably not good for you.
                              Word. Except those "Beef, it's what's for dinner," commercials they used to run. I never see them anymore, hm....
                              No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
                              -Maimonodies

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.

Babes with BBQ

Comment

• Originally posted by elizabeth826 View Post
                                word. Except those "beef, it's what's for dinner," commercials they used to run. I never see them anymore, hm....
                                q.e.d.
                                Follow me on google+

Comment

Working...
                                X