Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JennaRose View Post
    yikes! glad we're A-OK now
    I'm pretty sure I'm cured. Why only today I read Mark's blog about little used organ meats and thought "I wonder where I can buy spleen in the UK!"
    My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

Comment

• Originally posted by jandge View Post
      Light Mayonaisse is from the devil.
      Truth. Even growing up--when my family was ultra Fat Is Teh Evils!--my mom refused to get low fat mayonaisse. As she liked to joke, "Life is too short to not have real Best Foods." I dont eat much mayo now, cause of the PUFAs, but when I do have a little bit I do so relatively guilt-free. After I started going primal, though, I read the ingredients of the low fat mayo at the store, and sure enough it was, like, ALL PUFAs and sugars. Blarg.

Cut to last week, where I was at a friends house for a big crab feed dinner party. It was awesome, lots of fresh crab (I picked up the buggers live from an asian market myself), and my friend made some of her family's cooked-crab recipes, like dip and crab cakes and some sort of casserole thing. I asked her what was in them, and she--knowing that im primal--assured me it was primarily cream and butter and spices and mayo. I was like "sweet" and went to town.

Then as we were leaving, we were all chatting about the different recipes, and she mentioned offhand that while the aoli sauce was made with real mayo, she used low fat light mayo in all the rest of the recipes, cause, you know, "you can get away with the healthier option there." I didnt say anything, but I think my face noticeably darkened, because she changed the subject rapidly.
      "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

• This is just pathetic!

Coast Guard vessal stability rules say how many passengers vessals can safely carry. It pretty much stayed the same for years, except now they've realized we (in general) are just plain fat. I guess the old numbers were based on the average person weighing 160 pounds and now they've had to up it to 185 pounds, so Washington state has had to lower the number of passengers each ferry can hold.

Nice.

I don't think Washington is any heavier than the rest of the country, just that they don't have a lot of ferries in Kansas, so that's where the story is.

Obesity Rise Prompts Washing Ferries Capacity Change
        Durp.

Comment

• I don't understand why this is "pathetic!" While it is sad that more Americans are overweight than ever, it is just plain realism to acknowledge that and make safety policy based on that reality. It is really long overdue.

Comment

• Imagine if they took out a lane on every multi-lane road on your commute to work and think about what that would do for your commute times. Or if your bus could carry less passengers than before, or your train had one less car. That's basically what the change in ferry capacity means for the folks who were using them.

I agree that pathetic isn't the word, more like sad and frustrating.

Comment

• I have to admit my initial reaction was, "only 185 pounds"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy View Post
                I have to admit my initial reaction was, "only 185 pounds"?
                lol thats nothing! i weighed that in high school xD

Comment

• Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                  This is just pathetic!

Coast Guard vessal stability rules say how many passengers vessals can safely carry. It pretty much stayed the same for years, except now they've realized we (in general) are just plain fat. I guess the old numbers were based on the average person weighing 160 pounds and now they've had to up it to 185 pounds, so Washington state has had to lower the number of passengers each ferry can hold.

Nice.

I don't think Washington is any heavier than the rest of the country, just that they don't have a lot of ferries in Kansas, so that's where the story is.

Obesity Rise Prompts Washing Ferries Capacity Change
                  LMAO!! Nope! No ferries here!!!
                  Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy View Post
                    I have to admit my initial reaction was, "only 185 pounds"?
                    That was my first thought too.
                    Durp.

Comment

• Okay, so maybe "pathetic" isn't the perfect word. But I do find it sad that we as a nation have gained enough weight that we have to adjust our regulations so the ferries don't sink.
                      Durp.

Comment

• Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                        ... I do find it sad that we as a nation have gained enough weight that we have to adjust our regulations so the ferries don't sink.
                        Snort!

Comment

• Please can you post the link?
                          Thanks.

Originally posted by tplank View Post
                          Good friend just tried what he called "low carbing", but not so much. He lost a bunch of weight though ... probably from the carbs he did cut. Went off Statins for a while...first blood test "good", second not so much. Never had partical size done because his "fantastic doctor" said it wasn't necessary. He went back on statins. So yesterday, I sent him a link to the abstract of the big study from Norway that showed an inverse relationship between total cholesterol and mortality. He replied that I don't need to waste my time with the links because he wasn't changing. I responded that I knew, but I thought a massive, recent study showing he could be increasing his risk of death might intrigue him. Never heard back from that one. CW sucks and its inertia is bone crushingly depressing.
                          Few but ripe.

Comment

• Originally posted by 70in2012 View Post
                            Please can you post the link? Thanks.
                            It's probably this study: Is the use of cholesterol in mortality risk algorithms in clinical guidelines valid? Ten years prospective data from the Norwegian HUNT 2 study - Petursson - 2011 - Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice - Wiley Online Library

Some choice quotes:

"clinical and public health recommendations regarding the ‘dangers’ of cholesterol should be revised. This is especially true for women, for whom moderately elevated cholesterol (by current standards) may prove to be not only harmless but even beneficial."

"the underlying assumptions regarding cholesterol in clinical guidelines for CVD prevention might be flawed: cholesterol emerged as an overestimated risk factor in our study, indicating that guideline information might be misleading"
                            "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

• New TV ad I just saw - Larry the Cable Guy is the new celebrity spokesman for Prilosec OTC. And just in case he doesn't hold enough, um... weight, they closed out the ad with John Madden.
                              Durp.

Comment

• Today:
                                Boss: *Hands me box of food from catering joint* Here! I got you that gluten free salad and fruit thing you like!
                                Me: Hey, thanks! That's awesome! I appreciate it.
                                Boss: No problem. Also, we have cookies and cupcakes in the break room. Help yourself!
                                Me: *internal facepalm* Thanks, but I'm trying to be good!
                                Boss: Okay then!
                                The next 5 coworkers that walk by: What are you eating?
                                Me: Gluten free salad stuff from the caterer
                                Tn5ctwb: Did you know there's cookies and cake in the break room?!
                                Me: *So many internal facepalms*
                                Prions are natures way of telling us that cannibalism is for losers.

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36522.html

Comment

Working...
                                X