Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Glockin Grok View Post
    Doesnt Fat free = 0 omega-3s?
    I was wondering that myself. But I've never been good at chemistry, so...
    Durp.

Comment

• Originally posted by Glockin Grok View Post
      Doesnt Fat free = 0 omega-3s?
      That's correct. They're called omega-3 FATty acids.

Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
      Follow me on google+
      Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
      "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Comment

• Originally posted by Pimzilla View Post
        I partly agree, but for me it doesn't work with just eating more fat and protein, I have to go cold turkey. But that might be because I was used to eating similar amount of protein as I am when eating primal and probably eating more fat than most because I knew it was good for me. From there there was no way I could just have reduced the sugar. All carbs trigger my sugar cravings, except vegetables. Soon 7 weeks eating primal I feel ok, but I still think of sweet things every day. Planning what kind of dessert I can make for the weekend without grains/sugar prevents me going insane. I like to have a back-up apple cake made from almond flour in the fridge I can eat with some whipped cream just in case. Sometimes I don't want it for 3-4 days and sometimes I want it 2 days in a row. Sugarfree treats has made a big difference in my ability to succeed and my hopes are that I can drop them with time.
        You can & you will! What I meant was, it has to *start* with more fat & protein. For most people, the idea that they will just have to white-knuckle it through every minute of every day for the rest of their lives, not having their favorite foods, feels like being told they must walk away from their best friend and never speak to her again, but see her through a window regularly while others enjoy her friendship. It's not right; it's not fair. What they don't realize is that the level of cravings they have is unnatural; the level of "enjoyment" they get from these foods & drinks is unnatural . They don't realize that when they get their bodies balanced, they will crave real food on a natural level and the crap will taste like so much cardboard, with only real food sweets holding any appeal, for the most part, and those only being an occasional desire and indulgence.

But the fat & protein *start* the journey toward stabilized body chemistry and a healthy gut. Without them, I literally couldn't go more than a few hours without sweets. I've been through the long, long journey (and have a few threads about that journey! including my journal in my sig) and have been where you are, able to go cold turkey for a while (then I crashed after three months, because more healing was needed). Because you haven't spent the long, long time without fat & protein that I did, you may be able to win a lot faster. I hope so!

Mainly, my point was that fat & protein start the journey, and telling someone just to quit having sugar without upping those first is almost guaranteed to fail.
        5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
        Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
        Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
        Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
        ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• There is such a thing as legally fat free, which isn't actually fat free, but some fancy maths done with fat amounts. The joys of food labelling.

Of course there still won't be an awful lot of o3 in there.

ETA: a quick peek at the internet claims the cutoff is 0.5g per serving.

Comment

• Originally posted by honeybuns View Post
            Cooks Illustrated magazine did an article taste testing different butters. Kerrygold didn't rate very high because people didn't like the "artificial, movie popcorn flavor". HUH? Best butter on the planet tastes artificial??
            No joke, my tiny little one-screen hometown movie theater used to cook their popcorn in coconut oil and top with real butter. Several years back they switched to some fake veggie oil crap and topping with pseudo-butter because people complained that the real butter tasted "too buttery". I am not kidding about this. People have forgotten what real butter is supposed to taste like.
            Last edited by mixie; 11-11-2011, 02:23 PM.
            “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
            - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

Comment

• Originally posted by mixie View Post
              No joke, my tiny little one-screen hometown movie theater used to cook their popcorn in coconut oil and top with real butter. Several years back they switched to some fake veggie oil crap and pseudo-butter because people complained that the real butter tasted "too buttery". I am not kidding about this. People have forgotten what real butter is supposed to taste like.
              Real butter. It tastes too much like butter!

I live on kerry gold now.
              Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
              Follow me on google+
              Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
              "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Comment

• Thank you MamaGrok, I really hope I will make it this time. And I understand what you are saying. I am at the stage where I realize my cravings are unnatural but I'm not convinced the enjoyment of eating sugar is unnatural

Another approach to increase fat and protein would be to minimize grains, maybe eat fat greek yogurt, half a banana and a boiled egg or something for breakfast instead of bread? That has worked for me for quite a while before going primal, even though I used to LOVE bread and pasta as a teenager I was a lot more keen on my sweets than my grains. I have never really liked potatoes and rice anyway. But now I feel like I'm discussing things in the wrong thread

I'll check your journal out, will be helpful to read about another sugar junkie!

Comment

• It was simply amazing to me the first time I tasted something I used to love and realized how fake and crappy it was. Like Coke!

But I doubt I will ever stop enjoying homemade-from-real-ingredients-only cheesecake & ice cream. Dem's de real deal.

Comment

• I am at the stage where I realize my cravings are unnatural but I'm not convinced the enjoyment of eating sugar is unnatural
                    Well, it's not unnatural to enjoy it. We're programmed to love it. It's just unnatural to consume sugar in the vast amounts we do today.

CW Moment sorta today: I had to tell my mom to stop giving my four year old cousin desserts after every meal. She kept saying, "But he's a kid!" and I blurted out, "You raised two super fat children, don't raise a third." She got all huffy with me for pointing out fact.

Do yourself a favor and become your own savior.
                    Congenital Hypothyroid
                    CW: 225lbs SW: 245lbs

Comment

• It seems they took all the fat out of the milk, then put in safflower and fish oil, 1g total fat per serving.

Comment

• Originally posted by moonablaze View Post
                        It seems they took all the fat out of the milk, then put in safflower and fish oil, 1g total fat per serving.
                        Ooh, sounds quite tasty!

(yuck)
                        Durp.

Comment

• Originally posted by jandge View Post
                          Well, it's not unnatural to enjoy it. We're programmed to love it. It's just unnatural to consume sugar in the vast amounts we do today.
                          That's what I meant by pointing out the cheesecake vs. Coke difference. Crappy sweets don't taste objectively nearly as good as an addict thinks they do. The brain in that situation is being lied to, by leptin receptors from the tongue or what, I don't know, but it's wrong. I continued to be stupefied every time I try something I used to love by how meh it is.

My funny CW moment for the weekend (that's sad, not funny, actually), is that we're spending the weekend with extended family, and dh & I always make a huge bacon, sausage, and egg breakfast for everyone, every day, when we do this. I already mentioned that my sister is planning to eat cereal so she can save her calories for eating out, but another family member told me not to worry about going through all the effort, that there is a pancake house on every corner. weep weep. (I get constipated just thinking about a pancake house.)

Comment

• In the yogurt aisle today and overheard this comment: "We need the full fat yogurt for the kids but make sure you get the 0% fat for us."
                            She was so close to getting it right.
                            Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                            PS
                            Don't forget to play!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                              In the yogurt aisle today and overheard this comment: "We need the full fat yogurt for the kids but make sure you get the 0% fat for us."
                              She was so close to getting it right.
                              *slight hijack* I can't even find full-fat yogurt anymore. Not even in Wegman's which you would think would have a great selection. Mind you, I haven't had yogurt in almost a year now and don't really miss it. But finding some that's got all the right nutrients with no (or very, very little) sugar would be great for adding in some variation to my diet. I'm a picky eater and the limited range of Primal-approved foods that I like is getting old.
                              2011 - The year I went Primal
                              Start weight: 198 / Waist: 32"
                              CW: 158.5 / Waist: 28"
                              GW: 145-ish
                              Supplements: Calcium and O-3 in AM. Natural Calm, Valerian Root Extract and sublingual Melatonin in PM (for lifelong chronic insomnia).

Comment

• Originally posted by MetalBeth View Post
                                *slight hijack* I can't even find full-fat yogurt anymore. Not even in Wegman's which you would think would have a great selection. Mind you, I haven't had yogurt in almost a year now and don't really miss it. But finding some that's got all the right nutrients with no (or very, very little) sugar would be great for adding in some variation to my diet. I'm a picky eater and the limited range of Primal-approved foods that I like is getting old.
                                I can't either! All I can find is the Whole Milk Stoneyfield with Vanilla... SO sweet and sugary. I want whole milk plain Greek yogurt. Why is that so impossible to find?!

Comment

Working...
                                X