Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MadelynMc View Post
    This isn't exactly related to that, but I feel the need to share. I was talking to my dad on the phone one day last week and he was telling me that he picked up some egg rolls at the natural foods store and he had an allergic reaction to them. He described it as asthma, heart palpitations, trouble breathing, etc. I said "Wow. That sounds like you had a reaction to MSG. A lot of people are sensitive to it (*everyone is*)." He was like "No I think it was this potassium stuff that was on the ingredient list." Okay, dad. The next morning he called me because he Googled MSG and read about all the side effects and figured out that it really has like 50 different names on ingredient lists. Now he's all worked up over it and claims he has figured out he's allergic (Derp. We all are). He keeps calling me talking about how he looked up all these restaurants (and fast food) and they all use MSG! Shocker. I've been trying to tell him these things for a couple of years now. Anyway, it's like he doesn't take anything seriously unless he discovers it himself. I think it's a man thing.
    Same thing happened to me with a good friend who is a skinny fat avid cyclist developing a middle aged paunch since he passed 40. He joyfully told me about how he had cut out the sugary sports drinks and had dropped five pounds. Arrgg. How long have I been trying to tell him this? Sometimes you just have to let them get to it in their own way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      Same thing happened to me with a good friend who is a skinny fat avid cyclist developing a middle aged paunch since he passed 40. He joyfully told me about how he had cut out the sugary sports drinks and had dropped five pounds. Arrgg. How long have I been trying to tell him this? Sometimes you just have to let them get to it in their own way.
      Oooh oooh! Cognitive bias. A favorite subject of mine. There's a saying: "You cannot be a prophet in your home town." People are hardwired to ignore the advice of close friends and family. Among the lists of cognitive biases, this one's called "the Interloper Effect"; i.e., the tendency to trust the input of 3rd parties in a debate or discussion. This is why consultants can make a living!

And now a fun list of cognitive biases, for your reading pleasure! The Interloper Effect isn't among them, but that's Wikipedia for you.
      List of cognitive biases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Steph
      My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• Originally posted by Corvidae View Post
        +1
        Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
        Follow me on google+
        Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
        "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Comment

• my boss is all about dieting dieting dieting! today, one of her friends came in and picked up some food bar that my boss had. she looked at the label and was like "240 calories?!? holy moly!!" and my boss was like "Ya, but its like a meal!" and friend was like "Ya, but still!"

ahgghghggjfagh just eat FOOD!

Comment

• That's like expecting your car to run on air. Calories = fuel!

Comment

• Originally posted by onalark View Post
              Oooh oooh! Cognitive bias. A favorite subject of mine. There's a saying: "You cannot be a prophet in your home town." People are hardwired to ignore the advice of close friends and family. Among the lists of cognitive biases, this one's called "the Interloper Effect"; i.e., the tendency to trust the input of 3rd parties in a debate or discussion. This is why consultants can make a living!

And now a fun list of cognitive biases, for your reading pleasure! The Interloper Effect isn't among them, but that's Wikipedia for you.
              List of cognitive biases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              So. True. My family basically thinks I have some sort of eating disorder because I don't eat grains (and other things). Nevermind the fact that I eat lard like it's going out of style. I swear if Dr. Oz promoted it, they would take it as the gospel.
              http://baconandwhimsy.blogspot.com

Comment

So. True. My family basically thinks I have some sort of eating disorder because I don't eat grains (and other things). Nevermind the fact that I eat lard like it's going out of style. I swear if Dr. Oz promoted it, they would take it as the gospel.
                Oh! Didn't you know? There is already a label out there. It's called orthorexia nervosa. It's for people who have a fixation/obsession with healthy eating. So, we're all orthorexics!

Comment

Oh! Didn't you know? There is already a label out there. It's called orthorexia nervosa. It's for people who have a fixation/obsession with healthy eating. So, we're all orthorexics!

Comment

• This girl I live with is trying to lose weight and her idea of "healthy" food is so warped.

She was cooking steak and using butter to grease the pan and kept saying how unhealthy it was to be cooking steak AND doing so in butter.
                    She also snacks on popcorn - wtf?

Plus we were in the grocery store and she said she wanted to buy margarine instead of butter as it apparently "tastes better" - since when?!
                    My Primal Journal

Comment

• Cooks Illustrated magazine did an article taste testing different butters. Kerrygold didn't rate very high because people didn't like the "artificial, movie popcorn flavor". HUH? Best butter on the planet tastes artificial??

I was just in the hospital. Soon after I regained conciousness I was given ice water and a popsicle. Ingredients? Water - water. Popsicle -water, sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup....I stopped reading after that.
                      Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by sarah1990 View Post
                        She also snacks on popcorn - wtf?
                        Ive been seeing ads for Orville Redenbarfer popcorn saying it's being the best snack. /facepalm

Comment

• High fibre diets CAN reduce the risk of bowel cancer | Mail Online. Apparently this study suggests fruit and vegetables aren't good enough to prevent it. [sacrasm] I so want to eat brown bread 3 times a day [/sacrasm]
                          Last edited by Spooky_Rach; 11-11-2011, 03:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                            No, this is your perfect jumping off point into a discussion about processed food. The thing is, sucking on a sugar cane might have some nutritional enefits, as may chewing on coca leaves, but refining the products to death till they're nothing but a white powder does NOT, and in fact, will *harm* your health. Weston Price. End of discussion.

That's because it can take months or years to restore the internal gut flora to normal. Poo from a healthy gut is hardly an issue. A great example is driving by a chicken house (you can smell the reek for miles) vs. visiting a farm where the chickens are pasture-raised. Even with th esame amount of chickens, the smell is incomparably different.

Or you can just compare the air in the halls outside the bathrooms in my house to those ten years ago.

She's an addict. The best hope for her is to stop concentrating on reducing sugar for now, and concentrate on increasing fat and protein. Get her to Radiant Recovery FAST. They're wrong wrong wrong about the importance of grains, but they will do a great job of convincing her to eat more protein and fat. Fat protein protein fat. Now. The equivalent of a full serving of meat, plus a tablespoon of butter, with every meal, including breakfast. She's not hard-headed; she's an addict.

Speaking as a recovering addict who used to be unable to go even six hours without sugar, this is what's missing in her diet that keeps her thinking about sugar all day long. I just spent the first Halloween in my life with no candy at all, and haven't touched it in several weeks, and before that, several weeks, etc. on back. In the past, I could never have done this, and the reality is, I don't even think abotu sweets much anymore, and when I do, I most couldn't care less about them. Phenomenal, life-changing difference that fat and protein make.
                            I partly agree, but for me it doesn't work with just eating more fat and protein, I have to go cold turkey. But that might be because I was used to eating similar amount of protein as I am when eating primal and probably eating more fat than most because I knew it was good for me. From there there was no way I could just have reduced the sugar. All carbs trigger my sugar cravings, except vegetables. Soon 7 weeks eating primal I feel ok, but I still think of sweet things every day. Planning what kind of dessert I can make for the weekend without grains/sugar prevents me going insane. I like to have a back-up apple cake made from almond flour in the fridge I can eat with some whipped cream just in case. Sometimes I don't want it for 3-4 days and sometimes I want it 2 days in a row. Sugarfree treats has made a big difference in my ability to succeed and my hopes are that I can drop them with time.

Comment

• Here's my contribution. Saw this last night, on a commercial during the football game.

It's Smart Balance Fat Free Milk with added calcium and Omega 3. Oh, and it's ultra pasteurized!
                              Last edited by RitaRose; 11-11-2011, 10:16 AM.
                              Durp.

Comment

• Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                                Here's my contribution. Saw this on the news last night, on a commercial during the football game.

It's Smart Balance Fat Free Milk with added calcium and Omega 3. Oh, and it's ultra pasteurized!
                                Doesnt Fat free = 0 omega-3s?

Comment

Working...
                                X