X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AbigailLyn View Post
    Discussion with Guatemalan family re: my recent switch from vegetarianism

"I like to eat meat, it makes me feel stronger"
    "yea, everything in moderation! You need a little of everything to stay strong"
    "Well (as I see them pouring 1/2 cup of sugar into their coffee), not everything, sugar isnt' good for you"
    "yes it is, it gives you energy! and it's natural!"
    "well, cocaine is natural and it's not good for you"
    "aren't there some indigenous tribes that chew cocaine leaves?"

gah!
    No, this is your perfect jumping off point into a discussion about processed food. The thing is, sucking on a sugar cane might have some nutritional enefits, as may chewing on coca leaves, but refining the products to death till they're nothing but a white powder does NOT, and in fact, will *harm* your health. Weston Price. End of discussion.

Originally posted by Athanasey View Post
    Haha! I have a primal baby and I can assure you that her poo is as room-clearingly noxious now as it was when she ate grains. Primal made no difference - poo just smells bad!
    That's because it can take months or years to restore the internal gut flora to normal. Poo from a healthy gut is hardly an issue. A great example is driving by a chicken house (you can smell the reek for miles) vs. visiting a farm where the chickens are pasture-raised. Even with th esame amount of chickens, the smell is incomparably different.

Or you can just compare the air in the halls outside the bathrooms in my house to those ten years ago.

Originally posted by PrimalLace View Post
    My SIL has put on about 100 lbs since I met her 9 years ago. She was recently told by a doctor that she is pushing diabetic if she doesn't lose some weight and she should try cutting out the sugar. I overheard her tell my MIL how hard it has been for her to cut sugar from her diet... headaches, grouchy, craving, etc. MIL recommended maybe just eating HALF of the sugar she's been eating... SIL says "How can I throw away HALF of a candy bar? That's such a waste of money!"

*face palm*

Uh, here's a money saver... don't buy the damn candy bars.
    Also, she refuses to replace her 4-6 daily sodas with diet because of the "chemicals".

My hubby and I told her about the Primal Blueprint and how great we have been feeling and she said she "just cannot give up bread"... Almost too sad to be funny.
    She's an addict. The best hope for her is to stop concentrating on reducing sugar for now, and concentrate on increasing fat and protein. Get her to Radiant Recovery FAST. They're wrong wrong wrong about the importance of grains, but they will do a great job of convincing her to eat more protein and fat. Fat protein protein fat. Now. The equivalent of a full serving of meat, plus a tablespoon of butter, with every meal, including breakfast. She's not hard-headed; she's an addict.

Speaking as a recovering addict who used to be unable to go even six hours without sugar, this is what's missing in her diet that keeps her thinking about sugar all day long. I just spent the first Halloween in my life with no candy at all, and haven't touched it in several weeks, and before that, several weeks, etc. on back. In the past, I could never have done this, and the reality is, I don't even think abotu sweets much anymore, and when I do, I most couldn't care less about them. Phenomenal, life-changing difference that fat and protein make.
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
      Phenomenal, life-changing difference that fat and protein make.
      Preach it!
      “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
      - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

Comment

• In the grocery store this weekend a mid-40s couple shopping together-
        Man - voice dripping with sarcasm, "Well, if Dr. Oz says we have to eat it, then we have to eat it!"
        Woman - pawing through the cereal bars, "But it's new, and he said it was the healthiest bar on the market!"
        I didn't know whether to laugh or cry...As hardcore CW as I used to be, I'm not sure that I would be searching the supermarket for a particular brand of snack just because a TV doctor said I should eat it.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread51572.html

Comment

• In the grocery store this weekend a mid-40s couple shopping together-
          Man - voice dripping with sarcasm, "Well, if Dr. Oz says we have to eat it, then we have to eat it!"
          Woman - pawing through the cereal bars, "But it's new, and he said it was the healthiest bar on the market!"
          I didn't know whether to laugh or cry...As hardcore CW as I used to be, I'm not sure that I would be searching the supermarket for a particular brand of snack just because a TV doctor said I should eat it.
          Wow, I am surprised that people have not caught on yet with this guy. He literally has a new diet plan and "solution" for weight loss on EVERY show.
          I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Comment

• Originally posted by primalprincess7 View Post
            Wow, I am surprised that people have not caught on yet with this guy. He literally has a new diet plan and "solution" for weight loss on EVERY show.
            There was a sketch on SNL this past weekend where they pretty accurately portrayed him as someone who talks a lot about gross stuff and doesn't provide any real solutions to medical problems.

Comment

• There was a sketch on SNL this past weekend where they pretty accurately portrayed him as someone who talks a lot about gross stuff and doesn't provide any real solutions to medical problems.
              haha that is funny. I will have to google it.
              I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Comment

• Done and done: Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Ask Dr. Oz
                "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

• I was just overhearing my boss say that her husband's been told, at the doctor's office, to take three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a full glass of orange juice. I volunteered, "sometimes I'll do that but I'll put it in water- orange juice is full of sugar."

"But orange juice is full of vitamin C. And that's good for you."

...silence...

Comment

• I should add that the recommendation for the ACV is to lower his blood pressure, which has recently been recorded at 202/118. And he has gout. I want to proselytize, but if it's ingrained that orange juice is the best source of vitamin C, I don't know how to combat that.

Comment

• Originally posted by primalprincess7 View Post
                      Oprah and all of her little demon offspring run the biggest cult in the world.

Comment

• Saw this in the nutrition sub forum, but figured it needed to be immortalized in this thread as well..

Iowa billboard equates bacon with cigarettes

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,5644347.story

Comment

• Just heard this one seconds ago. I was going up the hall and hear a group of women following me talking about a food...I don't know what. One says, "I can't eat that because it causes wrinkles." A couple of them chimed in with agreement. I ended up holding the door for them as they passed into the breakroom. All four were extremely overweight. The reason they were headed in? The big platter of muffins that was on the counter. I wanted so badly to ask what food caused wrinkles worse than the ones those muffins were causing around their middles. But knowing my own stupidity of my past, I would never say that.

Comment

• Originally posted by tplank View Post
                            Just heard this one seconds ago. I was going up the hall and hear a group of women following me talking about a food...I don't know what. One says, "I can't eat that because it causes wrinkles." A couple of them chimed in with agreement. I ended up holding the door for them as they passed into the breakroom. All four were extremely overweight. The reason they were headed in? The big platter of muffins that was on the counter. I wanted so badly to ask what food caused wrinkles worse than the ones those muffins were causing around their middles. But knowing my own stupidity of my past, I would never say that.
                            The muffins are also not exactly good for you skin. Elevated blood sugar contributes largely to aging.

Comment

• So we're going on a trip with extended family this weekend. Dear sister sends out an email assigning meal responsibilities. Mine is breakfast (which they know will be eggs, sausage, & bacon), but dear sis lets me know not to include her in the count because she's working on weight loss and will be eating cereal instead. Because it's easier to count calories for that and not worry about counting for the later restaurant meals in the day. Ouch.

None of them ever ask me how I lost weight. Or why dh & I are the only people over 20 in our family who haven't had surgery or removal on any organs. Or why neither we nor our five children ever really get sick. Why?

(The worst pain is that I think she's trying to lose weight pre-conception, when the thing her future baby needs most is NUTRIENTS, not a number on the scale.)
                              5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                              Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                              Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                              Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                              ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                                None of them ever ask me how I lost weight.
                                Because they don't wanna' lose the weight. Some people are like that.
                                One guy at work has been going the conventional wisdom route to weight loss about the same time I have. The other day I heard him say "I'm in the best shape of my life!" which is pretty funny considering he still has a huge gut. He refuses to ask me how I did it and I don't go around telling people what to do either.
                                52 year old Male
                                Goal: 185lbs
                                April 10th: 220lbs

Comment

Working...
                                X