• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And front page of Yahoo! yesterday... The Truth About Carbs
    5 Things You Didn

Comment

• Originally posted by MadelynMc View Post
      It is getting increasingly harder to eat out (which I don't do often, but still). I literally had a 5 minute exchange with the deli lady the other day about a bread-less sandwich. I ordered a roast beef sandwich with mustard and horseradish, no bread. Her brain nearly exploded. She finally ended with, "you can just throw the bread out."

Yesterday I went to meet some friends at Starbucks for coffee and to chat since we haven't gotten together in a while. I love the idea of a pumpkin spice latte, but even before I changed my diet, it was wayyyyy too sweet. I ordered the pumpkin spice latte, but only half of the latte and "just fill the rest up with regular coffee." I figured that would dilute it enough to enjoy a subtle pumpkin flavor. Queue brains exploding all over Starbucks. I was all "Literally make a small pumpkin spice latte, pour it in a large cup....and top it off with coffee. Done." Finally, after much explanation, the guy making my coffee finally talked me into a modified pumpkin spice latte - only half of the pumpkin spice syrup. It was good, but still a little sweet for my tastes.

Why is it so difficult to understand? I feel like I try to explain it and people still don't get it.
      I own a coffee shop and we get asked to do things like this all the time. The problem is, especially with chains, the baristas are trained to do things one way and there is no way to account for modification in the "system"... basically no way to charge you for it and have their inventory line up.
      He should have suggested this but maybe try a Cafe Au Lait with a half dose (pump, whatever) of pumpkin spice.

Comment

• Originally posted by PrimalLace View Post
        And front page of Yahoo! yesterday... The Truth About Carbs
        5 Things You Didn
        came here to post this!! haha oh man, this article is ridiculous!

just the first paragraph is enough to give you an aneurism

"Bread. Pasta. Rice. If you’re trying to lose weight, you probably think these are absolutely off-limits. But the truth is, you need these types of carbohydrate-rich foods to give your body energy. And not getting enough carbs can make you feel sluggish, irritable and unable to concentrate."

Comment

• That article made me feel sluggish and irritable.

Comment

• Originally posted by LJH View Post
            That article made me feel sluggish and irritable.
            i was unable to concentrate while reading it

Comment

• From housemate earlier today

Housemate: "I was watching this tv program last night called 10 things you need to know about losing weight and one of the things was about how calcium helps you to lose weight by helping your body absorb less fat"
              Me: "But you need fat in your diet. The bad fat is trans-fats."
              Housmate: *tumbleweed*

Comment

• Originally posted by PrimalLace View Post
                *snip*
                Also, she refuses to replace her 4-6 daily sodas with diet because of the "chemicals".
                This is a valid concern. Aspartame is a toxin way worse than sugar for some people. Pick your poison, I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
                  This is a valid concern. Aspartame is a toxin way worse than sugar for some people. Pick your poison, I guess.
                  Exactly, die from obesity or die from cancer.

Comment

• On the news in Edmonton today there were talking about a new cream to help those with low testosterone. One of the complaints some doctors have is there is a survey on the drug manufactures website Low testosterone symptoms quiz as they were reading out the questions to the quiz my wife and I both looked at each other and commented that those are the same symptoms as a high carb diet.
                    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                    PS
                    Don't forget to play!

Comment

True. I do still like the occasional soda. I just get stevia-sweetened ones. They're a bit more expensive but not nearly as bad. More often, I just have carbonated water with a little splash of lemon juice.

Comment

• Originally posted by AbigailLyn View Post
                        Discussion with Guatemalan family re: my recent switch from vegetarianism

"I like to eat meat, it makes me feel stronger"
                        "yea, everything in moderation! You need a little of everything to stay strong"
                        *snip*
                        The "everything in moderation" argument is my other pet peeve. ESPECIALLY seeing as a small amount of carbs can ramp up your appetite if you've got a screwed up metabolism to begin with.

Every time I hear someone say: "You can eat cake, JUST EAT LESS OF IT!" I know that person either a) has never had an eating disorder or b) is lying to themself. CONSTANTLY.
                        Steph
                        My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• Originally posted by onalark View Post
                          The "everything in moderation" argument is my other pet peeve. ESPECIALLY seeing as a small amount of carbs can ramp up your appetite if you've got a screwed up metabolism to begin with.

Every time I hear someone say: "You can eat cake, JUST EAT LESS OF IT!" I know that person either a) has never had an eating disorder or b) is lying to themself. CONSTANTLY.
                          Yes!

The Boyfriend's grandson had a birthday party last weekend, and the only food there was pizza, neon frosted cake, Coke and Sprite. Crap. I should have brought my own food - true. Yes, I could have scraped off the cheese and eaten that, followed with water from the drinking fountain but... seriously! So I had one slice of pizza. Then I decided the cake would be okay if it were just a small slice. Then I was thirsty, so maybe a few sips of Sprite.

I was still finding every possible source of sugar available 3 or 4 days later until I started falling asleep at work and having trouble thinking through the brain fog.

Yeah. Moderation works just great.
                          Durp.

Comment

• I know exactly what you mean! I've fallen off the wagon in the past couple of days and today I was getting back on it, had a great primal breakfast (including bone marrow for the first time!) then I was visiting my friend and she suggested frozen yogurt. We went and, of course, it was "nonfat" "lite" crap, but I figured a bit couldn't hurt.....well I've been craving sugar like crazy for the past couple of hours... (then again, I was always addicted to sugar). My point being, moderation doesn't work for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                              On the news in Edmonton today there were talking about a new cream to help those with low testosterone. One of the complaints some doctors have is there is a survey on the drug manufactures website Low testosterone symptoms quiz as they were reading out the questions to the quiz my wife and I both looked at each other and commented that those are the same symptoms as a high carb diet.
                              I take whipping cream for that.
                              In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

I guess I just consider HFCS a chemical, not "sugar". And caramel color. And all the other non-pronouncables in her Cherry Pepsi.

Comment

Working...
                                X