Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Timothy View Post
    So last night, my mother-in-law came over and was kind enough to watch the baby while I cooked and ate dinner with my wife. MiL went vegan three weeks ago after watching "Forks Over Knives" which she found very convincing. After patiently listening for several minutes to the overwhelming evidence that meat is poison, I tentatively responded.

Me: "But have the studies been controlled for --"
    MiL: "Yes. Yes they have."
    That movie makes me angry for so, so many reasons. It's really frightening that so many people watch a movie like that and take it as gospel. I have to restrain myself everytime I pass the info desk at Whole Foods where they have the book proudly displayed (next to The China Study. Cha.).
    http://baconandwhimsy.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by scotchncoffee View Post
      Much dairy and meat trans fat, though, is actually good for you:

Trans Fat Is Good For You, But Only If It’s From Meat and Butter: Vaccenic Acid and the Conjugated Linoleic Acids - GNOLLS.ORG

As with just about everything, not all trans fats are created alike.
      Cool article, posted it on FB. Thanks bro
      "The mountains are calling and I must go."
      --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
      --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
      --Hyperlithic

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy View Post
        So last night, my mother-in-law came over and was kind enough to watch the baby while I cooked and ate dinner with my wife. MiL went vegan three weeks ago after watching "Forks Over Knives" which she found very convincing. After patiently listening for several minutes to the overwhelming evidence that meat is poison, I tentatively responded.

Me: "But have the studies been controlled for --"
        MiL: "Yes. Yes they have."
        Send her this link.

Comment

• Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
          Send her this link.
          Thanks, Finnegans Wake, as a matter of fact a search of these forums already led me to Minger's excellent review. I read it this morning because the last thing I want to do is use my precious non-baby-raising time to watch vegan propaganda and compose a rebuttal that will be completely ignored.

It was interesting, however, that Minger didn't identify caloric restriction as a possible confounding factor. If you cut out animal products from your diet, you're almost sure to drop your net calories through the floor, and in certain contexts, this is well known to have positive health effects. Humans are adapted to periodic shortages, after all.

I would send her the link, but as you can probably tell from our brief "conversation", there are none so blind as those who will not see. In fact I am interested to learn how her vegan experiment goes. She is eating only 5-15g of plant protein per day and claims to feel better than ever, which is plausible. The long run will be more interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
            TruMoo Chocolate Whole Milk has 48g of sugar. I feel sick. Oh and great, there's friggin Trans Fat in it! You rarely see anything with that on the label these days...
            I hear ya.

I had an impromptu meeting Monday that I knew was going to be very stressful (discussing iminent layoffs), so I quickly grabbed something out of the soda machine. Okay, I know I can't drink soda, and something bugs me about paying for water that I can get for free, so I bought an iced tea. Couldn't see the label and I didn't realize it was "citrus". Surprise!

Lipton Green Tea Citrus (20 0z - which really is just one serving even if they say it's 2.5)
            Calories - 200
            Carbs - 53g (all of which are sugar)

Ingredients:
            Water, high fructose corn syrup, natural flavor, citric acid, sodium hexametaphosphate [???], green tea, ascorbic acid, phosphoric acid, potassium sorbate, potassium cinnamate, honey, calcium disodium EDTA, caramel color, yellow #5, blue #1.

Just plain scary.
            Durp.

Comment

• Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
              I hear ya.

I had an impromptu meeting Monday that I knew was going to be very stressful (discussing iminent layoffs), so I quickly grabbed something out of the soda machine. Okay, I know I can't drink soda, and something bugs me about paying for water that I can get for free, so I bought an iced tea. Couldn't see the label and I didn't realize it was "citrus". Surprise!

Lipton Green Tea Citrus (20 0z - which really is just one serving even if they say it's 2.5)
              Calories - 200
              Carbs - 53g (all of which are sugar)

Ingredients:
              Water, high fructose corn syrup, natural flavor, citric acid, sodium hexametaphosphate [???], green tea, ascorbic acid, phosphoric acid, potassium sorbate, potassium cinnamate, honey, calcium disodium EDTA, caramel color, yellow #5, blue #1.

Just plain scary.
              Ugh Lipton is the nastiest tea! If I feel the need for a junky-y drink, I get diet Snapple (at least it tastes good) or a Zevia soda (sweetened with stevia). It's very rare that I do either though. Sorry about the Lipton! Lol
              --John Muir

--Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
              --Hyperlithic

Comment

• Finnegan's Wake!?!? Thunderin Jesus, I thought you were dead!

Bonus points if you got that.

Oh and Clymb, I'm partial to whipping cream (35% fat) for a quick and refreshing drink.
                In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
                  Finnegan's Wake!?!? Thunderin Jesus, I thought you were dead!

Bonus points if you got that.

Oh and Clymb, I'm partial to whipping cream (35% fat) for a quick and refreshing drink.
                  Mmmm, cream...haha I've always been in love with half-and-half myself
                  --John Muir

--Tommy Caldwell

--Hyperlithic

Comment

• Originally posted by MadelynMc View Post
                    That movie makes me angry for so, so many reasons. It's really frightening that so many people watch a movie like that and take it as gospel. I have to restrain myself everytime I pass the info desk at Whole Foods where they have the book proudly displayed (next to The China Study. Cha.).
                    China Study drives me crazy. I smelled its b.s. after two measly chapters, and this was when I was still flirting with the idea of going vegan. I don't get how people can read the entire thing as gospel when it's a) obviously incredibly biased, and b) not about the China Study at all!!! The good news is that trying to find more info on the actual study lead me to WAPF...

Also, I finally caught up on the ENTIRE thread! Woo! Took me like two weeks.
                    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Originally posted by vontrapp
                    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
                    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by alex good View Post
                      i'm partial to whipping cream (35% fat) for a quick and refreshing drink.
                      oh my yes!!!!
                      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• go on a low fat diet.

Comment

• Mrs. Griffin and I were doing our weekly grocery shopping and we were walking into the a store and a woman walked out pushing her cart. She looked right at our feet (who does that?) and kind of sneered at us as we moved out of her way, "Thank you, I wouldn't want to run over your feet!" We were both wearing our VFFs and the look of disgust was awesome!
                          There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Comment

• Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                            Mrs. Griffin and I were doing our weekly grocery shopping and we were walking into the a store and a woman walked out pushing her cart. She looked right at our feet (who does that?) and kind of sneered at us as we moved out of her way, "Thank you, I wouldn't want to run over your feet!" We were both wearing our VFFs and the look of disgust was awesome!
                            makes me sad... she was disgusted?? The lack of civility is appalling!
                            Karin

Comment

• Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                              Mrs. Griffin and I were doing our weekly grocery shopping and we were walking into the a store and a woman walked out pushing her cart. She looked right at our feet (who does that?) and kind of sneered at us as we moved out of her way, "Thank you, I wouldn't want to run over your feet!" We were both wearing our VFFs and the look of disgust was awesome!
                              Because it's okay for her to run over people's feet if they're wearing regular shoes? Also, I don't get how people think VFFs look freaky because you can see people's toes, and yet sandals or bare feet are fine. I used to work with a woman who was honestly creeped out by them. I used to walk past her desk and wiggle my toes at her.
                              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Owly View Post
                                Because it's okay for her to run over people's feet if they're wearing regular shoes? Also, I don't get how people think VFFs look freaky because you can see people's toes, and yet sandals or bare feet are fine. I used to work with a woman who was honestly creeped out by them. I used to walk past her desk and wiggle my toes at her.
                                I have been told by some people they look creepy and I'm like.. whats creepy?? Would you rather I be barefoot?
                                Karin

Comment

Working...
                                X