Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More on the cereal theme: this is directly from Kellogg's website:

Putting sugar in perspective
    Sugar in cereals – including kids’ cereals – contributes less than 5 percent of daily sugar intake,* yet it adds taste, texture and enjoyment that enable the consumption of important nutrients. The percentage of sugar consumed by kids from cereal is actually modest. For example, Kellogg’s® Froot Loops® includes 12 grams – or 48 calories – of sugar per serving. In fact, other common breakfast foods – such as orange juice and yogurt – contain more sugar than cereal does. **

That's right, kids. Froot Loops are HEALTHIER for you than yogurt. **facepalm**

Ain't marketing grand?

* NHANES, 2003-2006.
    ** U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. 2009. USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 22. Nutrient Data Laboratory Home Page, Nutrient Data : Home.
    F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

• And the serving, if I remember correctly (former Froot Loops addict), is 1/2C, right? Most people eat about 2C. That'd be ... yeah, 48 grams, or 200 calories of sugar per morning. Nice start.
      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
        And the serving, if I remember correctly (former Froot Loops addict), is 1/2C, right? Most people eat about 2C. That'd be ... yeah, 48 grams, or 200 calories of sugar per morning. Nice start.
        I was just thinking the same thing. Most people's serving size is a nearly full bowl, and that's true for kids too.
        Durp.

Comment

• My dad made a sort of delicious sauce out of some sauted mushrooms, onion, dried tomato and Fage yogurt to go on top of some hamburgers. He was proudly showing it to my mother- who looked horrified and promptly held her arms away from her body, miming HUGE AMOUNTS OF FAT. I wanted to scream "FAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU FAT!" at her.

...that was of course when my father helpfully chimed in with "Oh, it's okay! The yogurt was fat free!" I still don't know whether I want to laugh or cry.

Comment

• Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
            And Rice Krispies now come gluten-free.

**facepalm**
            To be fair, white rice does fall under the "pretty ok-ish carbs" umbrella, and for Celiac sufferers and other extremely gluten-intolerant folk, cross-contamination is a serious concern.

/end smartass

Comment

• a "friend" on facebook wrote on her status " been hardcore on weight watchers for one week and gained 2 pounds fuck my life, but I will keep at it"...she is trying to lose weight for her wedding but still eatting all the bad stuff but it's within the "points"....I wanted to tell her to try cutting the carbs and about primal but when I offered advice before she just ignored it and has not talked to me since. So I just laughed as I read it.
              I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Comment

• Originally posted by primalprincess7 View Post
                a "friend" on facebook wrote on her status " been hardcore on weight watchers for one week and gained 2 pounds fuck my life, but I will keep at it"...she is trying to lose weight for her wedding but still eatting all the bad stuff but it's within the "points"....I wanted to tell her to try cutting the carbs and about primal but when I offered advice before she just ignored it and has not talked to me since. So I just laughed as I read it.
                I might be super mean, but when people say shit like that - and rationalize all the bad stuff because it's in the points or whatever - I am secretly happy when they gain weight. Do you really think you can eat cupcakes and pizza and lose weight??

Comment

• I might be super mean, but when people say shit like that - and rationalize all the bad stuff because it's in the points or whatever - I am secretly happy when they gain weight. Do you really think you can eat cupcakes and pizza and lose weight??
                  haha I know!!!! I tried to suggest primal before and she has not talked to me since so I feel maybe a little like "serves you right" for being so closed minded. She also has many health issues so it just makes me feel bad for her. I am so glad I found this website and primal this March because I was searching for the REAL answers. Who knew it was so easy and common sense to be healthy by keeping it simple!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by finngirl71 View Post
                    I might be super mean, but when people say shit like that - and rationalize all the bad stuff because it's in the points or whatever - I am secretly happy when they gain weight. Do you really think you can eat cupcakes and pizza and lose weight??
                    lot of people would say that about us. you think you can eat steak and bacon and lose weight?

Comment

• Originally posted by moonablaze View Post
                      lot of people would say that about us. you think you can eat steak and bacon and lose weight?
                      To which I can honestly answer: "No, I switched to steak and bacon and LOST weight. Then I added muscle, stopped having acid reflux and my asthma went away after having 30 years of medication just to control it." The proof is in the (primal) pudding!
                      Life is short: Void the warranty.

Comment

• To which I can honestly answer: "No, I switched to steak and bacon and LOST weight. Then I added muscle, stopped having acid reflux and my asthma went away after having 30 years of medication just to control it." The proof is in the (primal) pudding!
                        +1000

Comment

• I was catching up on a real simple magazine (august edition). There was a section on exercise footwear. They did mention vibram five fingers, because they can be Dangerous, and can give you foot problems and arthritis(?!) and you need to be careful because your feet need special cushioning. Yeah.

Goal: Feel good, be active!

Comment

• The whole feet thing is still sparkling in my mind. The very notion that our feet are designed for walking. It still challenges my tennis-shoe addicted body. I'm wearing water shoes all day every day now, but some weird back burner still entertains the notion that it won't last and I'll need "real" shoes again eventually. Why? I don't know! Our feet are designed for walking!!!
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Originally posted by Seaglassgreen View Post
                              I was catching up on a real simple magazine (august edition). There was a section on exercise footwear. They did mention vibram five fingers, because they can be Dangerous, and can give you foot problems and arthritis(?!) and you need to be careful because your feet need special cushioning. Yeah.
                              I get downright beligerant when people tell me VFFs are dangerous!
                              Beginning of Primal Journey:
                              Date: 4/6/2011
                              Weight: 247

Progress:

“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” ~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• I wonder what people thought we did for millennia before the invention of the athletic shoe in the last century. Apparently all people before that time were absolutely destroying their flawed, flawed feet by daring to run without the assistance of Nike, Adidas, and their friends.
                                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X