Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw this on the supermarket some days ago: http://tinyurl.com/ylr8k5a

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Comment

We aim to please! I know we've all eaten rubbish in our lives, but really!

Comment

"Snot butter" (It'snot butter.)

Was my margarine of choice before I wised up.

Comment

Oh shit, now it's fat free....

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
          ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Comment

Today at the doctor&#39;s office, meeting with the nurse for my first prenatal appointment:

Nurse: So you&#39;ll want to be eating fruits and veggies, meat, and lots of whole grains.

Me: Well I do eat meat and eggs, lots of veggies, some fruit, but I don&#39;t eat grain.

Nurse: Well that&#39;s going to be a BIG thing your doctor will want to discuss.

Me: Why? I eat nutrient-dense foods. What can I get from grains that I can&#39;t get from other foods?

Nurse: Well there&#39;s LOTS of good fiber in grains! ... but there is fiber in vegetables and fruits too I guess.

Me: Right. (i didn&#39;t bring up the debatable "need" for lots of fiber) And grains also have anti-nutrients that bind to vitamins you need and make them unusable. So, not eating them.

Nurse: Well I don&#39;t know anything about that!

...later...

Me: Well I&#39;ve been eating chicken stock, lots of eggs, bananas, apples, sweet potatoes...

Her: Wow! That&#39;s better than a lot of people. Most people can&#39;t stand eggs if they have morning sickness.

Me: Well it sure beats saltines and peanut butter sandwiches, doesn&#39;t it?

Her: No kidding! You&#39;re doing great.

Me to husband: See? She&#39;s on my side already. She just doesn&#39;t realize it yet, and she&#39;s probably going to stop eating grains too.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

Another one from today, in the grocery store.

Husband picked up his favorite vanilla yogurt and I went to switch it for the Stonybrook kind... preferably full-fat. But there was only fat free and low fat.

Me to the guy stocking the huge wall of yogurt: Do you have any yogurt that is full-fat?

Him: Fat free?

Me: No, all the fat. Full fat.

Him: Oh, FULL fat. *glances at some yogurt* fat free, low fat, fat free... fat free... no full fat! *scours another section* NO full fat! *incredulous, still looking" There is NO FULL FAT YOGURT.

Me: Oh, well thanks for helping me look. Isn&#39;t that so crazy though?

Him: Yes! Very crazy! NO FULL FAT!

(English is for sure not his first language btw... I thought he was awesome. haha)

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

^ Omg yes, no full-fat yogurt anywhere anymore!!! Grr...

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
                ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Comment

FNW, I had the exact same experience in a grocery store last month. I have recounted it here too. The sales associate told me that no one had ever asked him for full-fat yoghurt before!!! How weird is that!

Comment

oh sorry! I didn&#39;t mean to copy yours or anything. haha. I&#39;m sure I read it when you posted but... dang. It&#39;s so ridiculous that no one will carry full fat. I guess it&#39;s like... yogurt is "health food" for granola nut low fat vegetarians .

Comment

We are blessed here in San Francisco. We have two brands of full-fat yogurt: Pavel&#39;s Greek style, and Strauss Creamery.

I suffer from an embarrasment of riches...but maybe you could ask your grocer about those two brands?

Comment

oh no no, i was merely saying how i too had the same experience, that&#39;s all. Isn&#39;t it crazy that they stock up on all the processed stuff but I had to go to 3 different stores before I found full-fat yoghurt. I have the same experience with the Fage greek yoghurt too. They carry the big tubs in 2% and non-fat, but the full-fat is available only in the small sizes which ends up being expensive when I buy a couple of them at a time.

I hope your Dr. gives you some sensible dietary advice. I was talking to a co-worker today who&#39;s pregnant and she told me she drinks soy milk w/ cereal for the omega-3&#39;s and that she drinks skim milk as that&#39;s what her Dr. recommended. Even CW-spouting people recommend lots of fats for pregnant people and young children, couldn&#39;t believe her doc asked her to drink skim milk!!! I told her about the phyto-estrogens in Soy, she said she&#39;ll ask her doctor about it before stopping it. Maybe I should have emailed her that article on soy from WAPF.

Comment

Teri thanks for the brand names.

Maba, I honestly doubt the doc will be sensible. I mean, the magazine thingy they gave me today said to eat whole grains, fruits and vegs, lean protein, and low-fat dairy. The Department of Defense book (it&#39;s a military hospital) mostly said to eat "healthy foods" but at one point it actually wrote out the standard food pyramid as the official recommendation for pregnant women, beginning with 6-11 servings of grains and topped off with very little fat/oils.

Comment

Add Alta Deena yogurt to that list, from SoCal.

I first had it about 1979 and couldn&#39;t believe how good it was. I really knew nothing then about foods but figured it must have to do with the cream.

Yes, of course.

Comment

Seven Star Farms Organic yogurt from Phoenixville, PA (near Philly). Awesome stuff that&#39;s full fat.

Also, Hawthorne Farms (from somewhere in NY state) full fat yogurt.

And the usual suspect, Fage Total.

Comment

Butterworks Farm here in VT - full fat AND grass-fed! But only available in a full quart, and there&#39;s no way I can eat that much without most of it going bad. They sell a pint container, but only in maple - yummy, but sugary.

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
                                On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Comment

Working...
                                X