No announcement yet.

Funny CW moments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My neighbour has been converted to Primal after seeing my results. Her husband has gout and had been following the no meat/no alcohol recommendations of his doctor with no relief in symptoms.
    I convinced him to try Primal and keep his fructose really low (the real culprit in gout according to Loren Cordain) and hey presto - he hasn't had an attack in months.
    My Journal

Comment

• I got gout years ago when I did Atkins. I definitely wasn't eating much fruit, but I have been fairly low carb with Primal and never did have an issue with it.
      Durp.

Comment

• Back then we didn't have the information on the fructose that we have now (I don't think) but it just didn't make sense to me that it was the red meat.

Comment

• Been there...

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
          Because meat is high in fat and cholesterol, duh. And also full of the pain and bad karma of being slaughtered. Didn't you know?
          A lot of you all are downing the vegans and such, but I have to tell you, I spent 16 years in that lifestyle because of the horrible conditions of MOST meat. We transitioned to WEston A Price two -three years ago and then I read Mark's book. I told my kids we would eat meat when we knew where it was coming from and it wasn't being fed corn since almost all government (sold to the military) meat is corn fed, corn finished, same as McDonalds.

I can't eat pork because of how they raise most of it in the US (I get sick from it). I had gone most of the last two-three years with either meat I raised or meat I knew who and how it had been raised. NOw, no bread, grains, makes it even harder.

Here I am this week, we traveled from RI to OH then to MO and I could not find grass fed beef (It's too lean and tough to handle one abbatoir said), don't even think about pasture raised chicken, Tyson is king here. I resorted yesterday to eating one of those roasted at the store chickens just so I could eat. And what do you tell people in restaurants? They just don't get it.

It's depressing. I want to make this easier as a transition for my family and yet all I get is "Are you sure you don't want pasta, (canned) beans, noodles, bread, something with that?" "Nope, just a salad and a steak will do."

I do care where the meat comes from, how it's been raised, how it's been finished. I do care what we eat.

Any suggestions for traveling? I had cooked some chicken and hamburgers for the trip, but well, they're getting rangy, if you know what I mean. I can buy stuff, but here in the midwest, it's hard to find.

Very hard to find.
          Last edited by sires6; 09-04-2011, 06:18 AM.
          The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
          Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
          Pope John Paul II

Comment

• Where in Missouri are you? If you're in St. Louis, there are farmers markets that sell grassfed, or did two years ago when I was living there.

Farmers Markets in the St. Louis Area

The Clayton Farmers market and I suspect the one at Schlafly will have grassfed/free-range eats. I do not remember Soulard having any, but that may have changed since I left.

US Wellness Meats is located there, so maybe call them up?

Lara Bars are my emergency backup food when I'm heading into parts unknown. I am admittedly NOT as fastidious about my meat sources when I'm traveling; I look for steak or pork unadulterated and consider it "good enough" for a trip. If I had to stock up a family, I'd probably invest in a cooler and make sure wherever I was going to had a kitchen.

Is seafood a valid option for you? What about lamb?

For shopping, either the local hippymart or farmers markets may be your best, most reliable bet. Good luck.
            Steph
            My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• BBC News - Calories busted by cafe culture

Holy cow! Who knew that cakes and milkshakes had loads of calories in?!
              My Primal Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by sixpack-rc View Post
                A friend of mine gave up red meat because he has gout. I asked him why.

Him: Because gout is caused by Uric acid which you get from red meat.
                Me: I think it's from the two liter of Coke you drink every day.
                Him: No, my doctor said it's caused by uric acid in red meat and to give up red meat.
                Me: It comes from meat?
                Him: Yes.
                Me: So it's in cow meat?
                Him: Yes.
                Me: So how does it get in the cow meat then since cows don't eat red meat?
                Him: ...crickets...

Still drinks the soda but through CW has lost a lot of weight and ran a marathon...but still has the gout.

~rc
                Now, I'm not saying your friend's doctor was correct, but your logic there makes absolutely no sense. It's the same thing as saying "How can grains and sugar make me gain fat? There's no fat in grains and sugar!"

Comment

• A few days ago, (after an evening of not inconsiderable drinking) I crashed at a friend’s place. The next morning we opted to make breakfast rather than go out. She asked me how many eggs I wanted. Not wanting to eat ALL of her food I replied, “Three.”

Cue look of abject horror. “Three!” she said, “Oh my god, that is a LOT of eggs!” I meekly replied that it really wasn’t and I often eat four egg omelets, (or six egg omelets but there was no way I was going to say THAT). “Oh no, that is too many eggs. Girls our size should only eat one or two eggs.”

Um, one egg and half a grapefruit is not a meal thankyouverymuch. I ate a real meal once I got home.
                  No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
                  -Maimonodies

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.

Babes with BBQ

Comment

• Originally posted by Sudenveri View Post
                    Now, I'm not saying your friend's doctor was correct, but your logic there makes absolutely no sense. It's the same thing as saying "How can grains and sugar make me gain fat? There's no fat in grains and sugar!"
                    No, it isn't.

The doctor was saying that grains didn't give you uric acid, but cow meat did....so where did the cow get it if grains didn't give it to him?

~rc
                    Last edited by sixpack-rc; 09-06-2011, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• This morning:

Me: So, that's that new thing I'm doing.
                      Girlfriend: Sounds like you're eating a lot of meat, and it's fattening...
                      (Time passes)
                      Girlfriend: I'm going to have Coco Pebbles for breakfast...
                      Me: ::boggles::
                      Down from 275 to 250!
                      Werewolf Primal Living Blog - http://lycanthropology.com
                      Some fact, a lot of fiction! Keep track of my progress there!

Comment

• To continue on the St. Louis Missouri theme.....

The Tower Grove Farmer's Market definitely has grass fed beef. The folks who run the market also have a small grocery store and restaurant called Local Harvest (Local Harvest Grocery, LLC - Purveyors of Local and Organic Groceries in St Louis, Missouri) and I know they carry lots of good stuff as well.
                        Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

Comment

• Originally posted by sixpack-rc View Post
                          No, it isn't.

The doctor was saying that grains didn't give you uric acid, but cow meat did....so where did the cow get it if grains didn't give it to him?

~rc
                          Dude, uric acid is one of the byproducts of metabolic processes. The cows' bodies (as well as those of every other mammal, bird and reptile on the face of the planet, including humans) make it.

Comment

Dude, uric acid is one of the byproducts of metabolic processes. The cows' bodies (as well as those of every other mammal, bird and reptile on the face of the planet, including humans) make it.
                            Truth.
                            Durp.

Comment

Sillies. It's not the primal person's logic; it's the primal person using the CW person's logic to destroy his own argument.
                              5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                              Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                              Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                              Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                              ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

• Exactly. Which is why the doctor telling him not to eat red meat was ridiculous. The cow makes it from grains therefore the human can make it from grains as well.

The doctor was implying that the only way my friend could get it was through eating red meat from cows. IF that's true, then how did the cow get it? Get it?

~rc

Comment

Working...
                                X