Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good blood report, but wondering how to improve it (or should I even try?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good blood report, but wondering how to improve it (or should I even try?)

ONE YEAR PRIMAL REPORT:

Tossed my statin drugs April, 2012
    Physical April, 2013 and here are the stats:

32 lbs. lost
    Triglycerides from 127 down to 104
    Chol. LDL from ---219 down to 139
    Cholesterol from --156 up to -- 216

Doctor said I can continue to stay off statins
    I'm happy, but wondering about the Cholesterol number and what I should do (if anything?)
    Didn't I read somewhere that avg. Cholesterol is 220 and the medical community decided to set it at 200?
    Last edited by Chatty; 04-01-2013, 08:05 AM.

Total cholesterol of 220 is fine (although your doctor will highlight anything over 200). Best indicators on the standard lipid test is the Triglyceride/HDL ratio. Lower is better, above 3.5 is a cause for concern. Best test is called an NMR lipid test, which gives you your LDL-P (P=particle). This test is a much better indicator of heart health.

Comment

Yeah. You don't give your HDL (the good one) but I'm willing to bet it's gone up. Your ratios are what matters. Look at TotC/HDL, Trigs/HDL, LDL/HDL.
      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Working...
      X