Tragic CW and SAD Recipes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zeera View Post
    I guess this isn't really that bizarre, but when I was a kid if I wanted something for breakfast other than cereal or a bagel i would dump some boxed pancake or cake mix into a bowl, add some water, maybe some chocolate chips or sprinkles, and microwave it till it was fluffy. Then I'd top it with either loads of syrup or canned frosting and scarf the whole thing down. I remember it being pretty good if I mixed it right, but sometimes it came out like a gummy, rubbery sponge.
    I think it's bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      Now if you just made that with a loaf of Richard's Free The Animal Fat Bread and used some real (not canned) meat, it might be pretty awesome.
      Well, it put me well ahead of the "deconstruction" trend. LOL. Lower layer off and given to little brother. Top two layers separated and eaten each on it's own.

Zeena, nothing like a gummy, rubbery sponge for breakfast. LOL

Other Mommy hors d'oeuvres. Dips. Can of clams, cream cheese, sour cream (actually not bad, except now we know all the additives in the second two items). Frozen spinach, onion soup mix, cream cheese, sour cream (see clam dip). Oh and ones I really actually loved: Ritz crackers with cream cheese topped with one of the following: smoked oysters, smoked clams, anchovies, or a stuffed olive. Honestly if I could come up with a primal Ritz cracker, I could live on those.

And because the nut doesn't fall far from the tree, Mommy's daughter (that would be I) had a fall back thing that I used to bring to parties or meetings: Frozen spinach, Knorr veggie soup mix, mayonnaise, cream cheese, and seasonings - wait for it - all served in a hollowed out round loaf of French bread. It was actually a great hit because so many people brought sweets. I know that Knorr must use some bad stuff in their dry soup mixes because even Whole Foods won't carry them.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
        I still remember the first time I saw Vitamine Water.
        I remember running across 'Diet Water' of all things. Gave me and my husband the sillies all day. We would just look at each other and start laughing.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
          I think it's bizarre.
          I think most Americans wouldnt agree with you, because there are slews of recipes that basically accomplish the same thing:

Microwave Chocolate Mug Brownie Recipe - Food.com - 349246
          "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

Originally posted by Corvidae View Post
            I think most Americans wouldnt agree with you, because there are slews of recipes that basically accomplish the same thing:
            What I think is bizarre is not the fact that cooking was done in the microwave, but the assortment of goo involved.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
              What I think is bizarre is not the fact that cooking was done in the microwave, but the assortment of goo involved.
              What can I say, at 10 years old I could have lived on sweet, sticky gobs of goo slathered on top of cakes and pancakes every day

Comment

What can I say, at 10 years old I could have lived on sweet, sticky gobs of goo slathered on top of cakes and pancakes every day
                When I was 10 we used to pan-fry bologna or liverwurst slices.

Comment

Edit: LOL, i just remembered, this OTHER friend of mine went vegan later in college and became addicted to Trader Joe's chocolate covered raspberry sticks (which is unsurprising, because, well, they are super delicious).
                  I remember those ! they are very good yes...

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                  Honestly if I could come up with a primal Ritz cracker, I could live on those.

I know that Knorr must use some bad stuff in their dry soup mixes because even Whole Foods won't carry them.
                  Ritz crackers are just kinda buttery and salty tasting, a suitable substitute could possibly be found....

Knorr brand "vegetable" bouillon cubes on sale at the grocer but put them down after perusing ingredients... 3rd ingredient is MSG (which I don't mind myself so much, but yea), but many other unmentionables, including more caramel color than parsley... yuck ? (Salt, Palm Oil, Monosodium Glutamate, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Sugar, Onion Powder, Corn Starch, Water, Dehydrated Cabbage, Dehydrated Carrots, Celery Seed, Caramel Color, Disodium Inosinate, Dehydrated Parsley, Spices, Garlic Powder, Citric Acid, Turmeric (for color), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, TBHQ (used to protect quality).)

My actually scary contribution for the day:

If you need to homogenize your meat into standardized shapes, you might as well give them names:

McDonald's Four Shapes Of Chicken McNuggets - Business Insider
                  Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Comment

I was trying to think of bizarre CW recipes that I used to eat and I think Im actually somewhat fortunate in that I didnt really cook before going paleo
                    Same here. I didn't cook much besides pasta.

One thing I remembered, though, comes from my freshman year of college. a friend of mine on the hall was vegan, and she was pretty much the first exposure I had to veganism. Luckily she wasnt vegangelical about it--she was clear that her opinion was eat whatever you want and dont be a dick about it--but whenever she talked about what she was eating, it was saturated with the feelings that come from the "health halo" surrounding vegan diets. So, subconsciously, that association started to leak into my brain.

LOL, i just remembered, this OTHER friend of mine went vegan later in college and became addicted to Trader Joe's chocolate covered raspberry sticks (which is unsurprising, because, well, they are super delicious). She would go through a tub of them within a week. Another friend of mine suggested maybe she should ease up on them. Her response? "But theyre VEGAN!!"
                    I can relate to this. I knew a guy in 11th grade who was vegan, though he wasn't a jerk about it. He'd eat this one brand of fruit rollups for lunch everyday because they didn't have gelatin in them.
                    He was skinny as a rail. Not necessary due to the veganism, because my brother who is a total CW eater is the same way, but, on the other hand, I do feel there's a reason that's the cliche look for vegan males.

Comment

I remember once we tried a recipe for ham in cola. Now I've never liked cola at all, but this recipe assured us that it was delicious even if you didn't like cola, so we gave it a go.

Nope.

Never again. It was just sticky and sickly sweet. And this was long before we'd ever heard of primal.

Comment

Originally posted by orielwen View Post
                        I remember once we tried a recipe for ham in cola. Now I've never liked cola at all, but this recipe assured us that it was delicious even if you didn't like cola, so we gave it a go.

Nope.

Never again. It was just sticky and sickly sweet. And this was long before we'd ever heard of primal.
                        You could probably salvage that recipe with apple cider vinegar instead of cola. Youd also need something else for the glaze, since it calls for a lot of sugar, and treacle is just thick sugar syrup.
                        "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Comment

Somebody posted a recipe on facebook the other day that was for "2-ingredient strawberry fudge," aka an entire can of artificially flavored strawberry frosting mixed with a big bag of melted white chocolate chips. Talk about sugar overload. Makes me want to gag just thinking about it.

Comment

Somebody posted a recipe on facebook the other day that was for "2-ingredient strawberry fudge," aka an entire can of artificially flavored strawberry frosting mixed with a big bag of melted white chocolate chips. Talk about sugar overload. Makes me want to gag just thinking about it.
                            Just when you think the bar cannot possibly be set lower...

Comment

Not just sugar overload, but fat overload, most of it trans.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
                                Just when you think the bar cannot possibly be set lower...
                                It gets worse, somebody commented on how awesome it is that they will now be able to make SO many knew flavors of fudge because they can just substitute the strawberry frosting for other flavors! Apparently Duncan Hines now makes frosting in some really outrageous flavors, like bubblegum, cotton candy and pink lemonade... Double gag.

Comment

Working...
                                X