No announcement yet.

NP doesn't think this is sucess, wants statins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My DH suffered muscle damage from statins. What docs don't tell you, even though the information is out there, is that the statins do their work at the expense of muscle. Do your ow research into the side effects and dangers of statins. NOT worth the gamble!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Can you tell me how I calculated wrong for future reference? I like your numbers better!

WendyLady, that was me, too. She was totally surprised that my panel came back positive. She thought it was just IBS. I wound up with villi that were still showing damage two years after being totally GF.

We would leave this practice except he has a complicated health history, and, to be frank, we don't believe we can find anyone better where we live.

Not sure who said not to tell a dr how to do their job, but we have both been asked, "What do you want to do?" When my health care provider is sitting there typing your symptoms into Medscape, I feel pretty confident I can grasp the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by momrn View Post
        We would leave this practice except he has a complicated health history, and, to be frank, we don't believe we can find anyone better where we live.

When my health care provider is sitting there typing your symptoms into Medscape, I feel pretty confident I can grasp the issue.
        Perhaps I am misunderstanding your point because it seems your latter statement disagrees with your former. A health care provider using Medscape is not a health care provider I would trust. Based on years of training I would opt for a MD/DO before a NP. It sounds as if you don't have any options but if this provider is the best where you live that is a bit scary. Regardless of how well trained there are very few providers who have studied the effect of nutrition over prescription meds. It's just not taught to them in school.

Comment

Originally posted by momrn View Post
          Can you tell me how I calculated wrong for future reference? I like your numbers better!
          I apologize for not responding earlier, I missed the question above.
          The triglycerides ratios are not correct.
          For example, Trig/HDL is 122/38 which equals 3.2 (not 6.5 as in your post)
          Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
          Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
          "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
          "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
          "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Comment

While I am not a supporter of statins, I will say that for the most part your provider is correct that those numbers have not really improved. While they are trending the right direction, the changes are barely, if at all, outside the margin of error for the test. You would need more tests over time to tell if things really are changing.

I would think the triglyceride levels have the most room for improvement.
            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Also, I would add that all you have to do is tell your physician that you are not convinced by the data on the use of statins for primary prevention of heart disease and they have no business at all trying to bully you one way or the other. Has your husband had a previous heart attack? That is really the only case where the data clearly supports of role for statins. In previously healthy males, the data is pretty controversial.
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
              X