Grubs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grubs

Anybody have any info on eating grubs? I see indigenous people eat them all the time.

Do they have enough fat in them? Are they bad for you?

I live next to a Forrest so theologically...... I have my own pantry of food nearby......

I ate a caterpillar once by accident when I was making a fresh spinach salad from my parent's garden. It tasted kind of like salt, but I just continued eating much to the disgust of my fellow diners.

I see nothing wrong with it at all, but I don't know what would be good to eat or not.

Comment

I've eaten fried grasshoppers but never grubs, they're supposedly full of nutritious stuffs. EFA's and proteins. Dunno, more research is needed.

Comment

Mealworms are available at most pet stores. They're kind of flavorless though

Comment

AFAIK grubs are about the most protein rich chow you can have. I am not tempted yet, maybe after a week fast I'd reconsider.
          Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

I've been looking for a good source. I haven't sunk to buying them from a Live Bait machine yet, but don't know if I want to go through all the work of finding them either. I have some yummy recipes for meal worms and will be doing a special something with them when they're "in season" so to speak. I can't wait to give some bug recipes a try!

Comment

I think for something that... squishy... I would have to be intoxicated to masticate it.

I mean, Ive eaten roasted mealworms and ants and crickets... but grubs? I would like to see a recipe and a pic first!!!
              Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

Give me some time. I'll see what I can do.

Comment

He11 yes DR! LOL.

hell <----- so it doesnt block this but it blocks the f a g part of f a g e yogurt, leading to ***e. Sigh.
                  Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

One day I will go to Thailand and eat Wasp Larvae, and the other insect food stall food they serve to the working girls outside the borthels. (Many of the girls are from Issan province where such things are popular homestyle snacks.)

Comment

DF how do you know these things? And why would you be outside brothels?!

Comment

Tara- Well, I'd be outside the borthels to sample the regional insect cuisine stalls, naturally.

And I learned about these things from reading John Burdett's wonderful novels about Bangkok District 8, with dectective Sonchai Jittelcheep.

Comment

Oh well of course. It all makes sense now.

Comment

I would try bugs and grubs if they were properly cooked and prepared. Just be careful of getting them from the pet store. I own snakes, so I have some friends with lizards who they feed mealworms to. Mealworms and crickets from petstores are notorious carriers of all kinds of worms and parasites. Giardia, coccidea, roundworms, hookworms, etc... cooking is a must!
                            Carpe Diem!

Comment

Working...
                            X